People ShowcaseHead of the Charles River Regatta

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Head of the Charles River Regatta

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Our younger son, Michael, was very small in high school which was ideal for being a coxswain for his school's rowing team in Philadelphia. He won three national championships while there, but gave it up after graduation. Now in his 40's, he was recruited for one last shot at glory by a crew that was racing in the Head of the Charles Regatta. Because the rowers are working hard they are warm but the coxswain freezes since the race is in October in Cambridge, MA, and the wind and spray douse him.

In regular competition, the boats line up sometimes 6 across, held by hand to a dock stretching across the water. The coxswain holds his or her hand up until satisfied with the line and angle of the boat and then drops it. When all arms are down, the starter shouts: Ready all, row. And off they go, 20 power strokes to get out front, and then dropping down to a slower pace.

In a head race, there can be as many as 40 or more boats in a category; e.g., heavy weight masters (old guys), so the race is started one boat at a time, with the previous year's winner starting first followed by the rest of that year's top 10, with about 30 seconds in between. The best time wins.

Strategy is key; an 8-man shell is about 62 feet long and the oars are about 12 feet. Some of the arches in the bridge on the Charles are only a few feet wider so it is nigh impossible for two to charge through together. And the better line is the one closer to the interior shore. The boat in front has precedence on going through the arch, but sometimes there have been the clacking of oars -- always a delight to watch.

Michael's boat made the top 20; not enough motivation to do it again.

The rower nearest to the coxswain is called the stroke and the last man, the bow man. The stroke is usually the best rower and sets the pace. The others, moving from the stroke, are the two seat, three seat, etc, which the coxswain uses to call out corrections when managing the race. The coxswain studies the puddles from the blades to judge the individual rower's performance. While the stroke's puddle is ideal, you can see that seat 4's puddle is not fully formed so his stroke is late and the coxswain will call that out. He has a microphone on his mouth and there are speakers running along the inside of the shell so the rowers can hear him barking as he calls out the changes in strokes from half power to full, etc.

Matt
Attachments
Head of Charles-.jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:04 pm

educational story and well presented image Matt..thanks for sharing

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:43 am

You're welcome Frank. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:35 am

Nice shot (and a nicer story, even!). The image is well composed with that strong diagonal and all the movement that the boat and oars carry with them.

I relate to the bittersweet joy of watching our adult children compete. I still love watching the 36 yr old play soccer in the local mens’ league. I don’t know if I could bear to watch the eldest play baseball if he ever took a notion. He coached a high school team for a couple of years and I cried every time I went, just seeing him in uniform again. I’m loving watching the eldest grandson do his thing though.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Yes Minnie, bittersweet indeed. I fill up as well when I look at some of the snaps from his hs. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:18 pm

An education on a sport I knew nothing about. Thanks for that Matt. Your image surely adds to the story and vise versa.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks Dave.
Matt Quinn