“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseHS Senior Robert

People of all types, friends and family among them.
- Images posted on this board do not necessarily have to be portraits.
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

HS Senior Robert

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:17 pm

I've know this young man ever since he was born. Mom called, it's Senior Portrait time.

I use to photograph quite a few HS Seniors in my early days of opening up my studio in downtown Port Angeles, 50 to 60 of them, that was about 15 years
ago but not any longer. I have one more coming in on Friday which will make a total of 3 for this season. If your wondering why, things surely have changed
in the HS Senior Portrait industry.
Attachments
IMG_3165 Texture.jpg
IMG_3195 Antique.jpg
IMG_3195 Antique.jpg (219.31 KiB) Viewed 84 times
IMG_3143 BWC.jpg
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: HS Senior Robert

Postby Duck » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Is it just me that thinks this kid is a doppleganger of Matt Damon?

Ernst, you are not the only one I hear the same comment about the decline of the senior portrait from. It seems to be a sign of the times and even in areas where senior portraits were very common there is a noticeable decline. I think the proliferation of personal cameras and the ease of image sharing on social media has a lot to do with this decline.

Aside from that, it is an interesting choice of locations for a portrait session. I'm sure it implies something about the personality of the kid. Oh, and that's a cool car he's leaning against. :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:35 pm

#1 has to be the coolest senior portrait ever created! So what do they do with senior portraits anymore anyway? Do parents print, frame and hang? I don't imagine there's any reason to buy those packages that include 10 wallet-size, lol. And are these three to be considered as a group, or will one be chosen to print (including a yearbook, if there are still such things) and/or shared online, or where does the project go from here?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 am

Duck the car belongs to his uncle, a 63 Impala, he is hoping to own it one day. Since we were at the junk hard I had him step inside for a few portraits, that lst image was in there.

Yes, lots of things that are causing the downturn in HS Senior portraits. In my small town I have more than 100 new photographers willing to take senior portraits for cheap, $50 for 25 edited images.
There's always a new flavor of the year at the High School, another senior that knows how to push the shutter button. Just the other day I noticed some and each portrait the eyes were out of focus. ;-(
But everyone was just gushing over them with their comments. Of course if this old guy says something, he becomes the bad photographer. ;-( Here is another issue, besides everyone having their
cell phone cameras. Hey mom and dad, I really don't want to spending any money on senior portraits, I would really rather have that new Iphone and your paying the bill, right. ;-) Another thing I'm hearing
is there are schools now not offering the Yearbook anylonger.

Linda, Mom and Dad have purchased these three poses, the lst one as a Wall Portrait. They also bought one pose for 75ea Wallets. ;-) I'm happy with the sale, not what my average use to be, but still
happy. Of course I also made sure I got some smiley poses of Robert.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:00 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:I've know this young man ever since he was born. Mom called, it's Senior Portrait time.

I use to photograph quite a few HS Seniors in my early days of opening up my studio in downtown Port Angeles, 50 to 60 of them, that was about 15 years
ago but not any longer. I have one more coming in on Friday which will make a total of 3 for this season. If your wondering why, things surely have changed
in the HS Senior Portrait industry.

Very nice. That first one is so creative and modern, I'm sure it was a hit with the young man and will be for a long time.

It's a shame that folks now seem to have no discernment and are equally satisfied with a phone snap as with a quality portrait. The same has happened in real estate photography which I dabble in a bit. The realtor takes a lot of shots himself with his phone, clear enough but dreadful angles, no effort at composition. They usually call me just for the really good houses they think will turn around quickly at the best price, or really bad houses that need to be shown in their best light to move at all.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:37 pm

I love old muscle but the image even more. Your use of selective color is impressive too. Thank you for adding something new! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Family, Friends & People”