• Administrator
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

People ShowcaseCheyenne (Nudity)

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Cheyenne (Nudity)

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Practice session with Cheyenne yesterday.
Attachments
IMG_7116 20X16.jpg
IMG_7081 20X.jpg
IMG_7081 20X.jpg (403.78 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Didereaux » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:23 pm

1st one the hand looks like a 2d parties hand, and a mans at that. The hair on her shoulder right shoulder camera left) makes it appear as if a chunk is missing of her collar bone and that the shoulder protrudes sharply out. I am of the opinion that these could both be corrected using a small soft fill light from high up on that side to lighten up the shadows that are the cause for this. Also the gauzy material flying in the breeze appears to be the only thing that is being affected by the wind, It is a strong wind to blow the material straight out, but does not muss a single hair on the models head.

The 2d has a lot going for it, and I like it.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Didereaux, While I appreciate your time and comments I don't recall putting these images into the critique area.

Best regards, Ernst

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Didereaux, While I appreciate your time and comments I don't recall putting these images into the critique area.

Best regards, Ernst

First off you called this a practice session' that implies not the final product and would seem ot invite comments no matter where it were posted.
You are a FOUNDER, a MENTOR! it is assumed that you post to enlighten us tyros! If we do comment and voice our opinions of your work then how are you going to enlighten us?
IF our observations and comments upset you then perhaps you should become just a member showing his stuff for pats on the back! ???? Qui? Non?

On a less heated level, and a more practical solution, I would suggest that there be a 'FOUNDERS' forum for them to post there pictures, and comments or observations be excluded.

Best regards, D
"An ego is a terrible thing not to waste." - anon
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:31 pm

First of all..... ;-) As a Founder, the main reason the critique area was set up was for just that. Post things in the Members Showcase area it states:
"No critiquing allowed" If I want a critique I'll gladly ask for it and I know where to post those images. Not upset at all Dicereaux, just wanted you to know
the rules here. I really don't think I come here to share work for just pats on my back. But I can see where your at, "An ego is a terrible thing not to waste."

Best regards, Ernst

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Practice session with Cheyenne yesterday.

These are interesting since I know absolutely nothing about fine art nude photography (or any kind of model photography for that matter). Your use of light and shadow is impressive, and the dark moody atmosphere you've created with them. There is mystery and a sort of vintage look that catches my eye in spite of utter lack of knowledge in this area.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:29 pm

I appreciate your comments Minnie.

Best to ya, Ernst

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:33 am

I am struck by the first picture where you have moved it to the right edge of the frame. Nice piece of lateral thinking. Something I will have to remember.
On a more serious subject;
I would love to do nude or boudoir. To me it is far more complex than just a portrait. It's all to do with the shadows and placement.
Do women come in to your studio and ask to be photographed in this way?
Any hints to help me move into this direction would be appreciated.
Kind Regards;
ed
ed davis

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:39 am

" On a less heated level, and a more practical solution, I would suggest that there be a 'FOUNDERS' forum for them to post there pictures, and comments or observations be excluded. "
No..Never
All participants to have equal rights.
ed davis

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Ceropegia » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Didereaux wrote:IF our observations and comments upset you then perhaps you should become just a member showing his stuff for pats on the back! ???? Qui? Non?

Thin skinned, unnecessarily offensive, and unwarranted sarcasm - a little history lesson: Situations such as this are one of the main reasons the founders of this forum split off from another one. They were dissatisfied with the tenor, sniping, and flaming that was prevalent there at the time. Recognizing that members sometimes just want to share their images without judgement or controversy, they established the Members Showcase for that purpose. But they also wanted the forum to be a learning experience where members could elicit and offer constructive comments and suggestions about how they think an image might be improved, hence the Critics Corner specifically for that purpose. But, even there, an understanding exists that comments should be in a helpful, inoffensive, and encouraging vein.

BTW, nothing wrong with pats on the back. Besides, the Showcase is a great place to see and appreciate what others are capturing, a valuable thing in and of itself.

Didereaux wrote:On a less heated level, and a more practical solution, I would suggest that there be a 'FOUNDERS' forum for them to post there pictures, and comments or observations be excluded.

Nothing practical (or even less heated) about this ridiculous suggestion at all. Seems more like another thin skinned jibe. Perhaps you should review forum rules 5 and 6 and give a look at Duck's fine tutorial "How to Critique an Image".

Sorry to other members for this rant which I realize is is not really in the true spirit of this forum, but this exchange was unsettling enough that, after thinking about it overnight, I decided not to remain silent.