Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

Photography DiscussionSports

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Sports

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm

It has been two years since I have done any sports. Going through some old files, I realized how much I miss doing them. The thought of starting up again on an individual basis would be the only way I would consider it. No more complete teams, just some creative fine art action sports. Marketing and getting the word out is an issue I would have. Any suggestions? Posted is just some samples and not etched in stone, but was sort of what I was thinking. Altho, I have not ruled out composites, which is another thought.
Dave
Attachments
Pitch #77 DEC_9968w.jpg
Pitch _DEC1458w.jpg
Pitch _DEC1494w.jpg
Pitch _DEC1712w.jpg
Safe _DEC1721w.jpg
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:43 pm

I've always loved your sports shots and wished I could do that for my grandsons. I remember one you posted a couple of years ago with a boy at home plate, I think it was a sepia tone.

My suggestions as a parent/grandparent: find some fine art presentations that are uniquely adapted for the sports you photograph. Baseball is a nostalgic sport that would fit well with sepia toned and antique looking images with a touch of grunge. Soccer has a timeless but graceful and international feel to it, might fit your dreamy approaches. Football and hockey are more aggressive and would warrant brighter colors and heavier/grungier detailing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:17 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm
No more complete teams, just some creative fine art action sports. Marketing and getting the word out is an issue I would have. Any suggestions?
Dave
It's tough with kids if they're not related....old man at the ball park with camera..I yi yi!!
A card with your website of past examples or examples you want a parent to see of the type of work you are wanting to pursue..now days they could look it up right on there phone while your talking......some friendly chit - chat at the field and as I am sure you know word of mouth travels fast if there is interest.....by the way which one is your kid, if you wouldn't mind I'll take a couple of shots and put them on my site for you to check out and if your interested let me know.....Blah, blah, blah..

oh and by the way I like your examples....

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:43 pm
I've always loved your sports shots and wished I could do that for my grandsons. I remember one you posted a couple of years ago with a boy at home plate, I think it was a sepia tone.

My suggestions as a parent/grandparent: find some fine art presentations that are uniquely adapted for the sports you photograph. Baseball is a nostalgic sport that would fit well with sepia toned and antique looking images with a touch of grunge. Soccer has a timeless but graceful and international feel to it, might fit your dreamy approaches. Football and hockey are more aggressive and would warrant brighter colors and heavier/grungier detailing.

Thanks Minnie !!! Fine art presentations for sports may be rather difficult, but is a good idea that I have not thought of, which is why I asked for ideas. I suppose it all boils down to how much of a burn do I have to pursue this, (for now) thought. I'll contemplate over the idea more. Previous contacts, if I still have them and or Facebook/Instagram? Altho, I am beginning to dislike both as time moves forward.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:17 pm
davechinn wrote:
No more complete teams, just some creative fine art action sports. Marketing and getting the word out is an issue I would have. Any suggestions?
Dave
It's tough with kids if they're not related....old man at the ball park with camera..I yi yi!!
A card with your website of past examples or examples you want a parent to see of the type of work you are wanting to pursue..now days they could look it up right on there phone while your talking......some friendly chit - chat at the field and as I am sure you know word of mouth travels fast if there is interest.....by the way which one is your kid, if you wouldn't mind I'll take a couple of shots and put them on my site for you to check out and if your interested let me know.....Blah, blah, blah..

Absolutely, my thoughts as well Frank !!! Old man at the ball park with camera is a vision I have often worried/thought about. Previously, I had no worries since I was contracted out by parents and organizations. None of the images I posted are my kids. All of my kids are adults now and I would have to search for negative and scan into digital format to post. Altho, I do have a few in the archives somewhere. It would be fine if you would like to post some of yours. I always enjoy viewing sports photos.

The samples posted just happen to be an idea bouncing around and of course they need fine tuning. This thought of fine art sports action came to me while editing, I thought was a unique concept that I have not seen from anyone or anywhere? I should do some research on the subject matter. Thanks for your ideas.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:50 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
davechinn wrote:
Dave

Absolutely, my thoughts as well Frank !!! Old man at the ball park with camera is a vision I have often worried/thought about. Previously, I had no worries since I was contracted out by parents and organizations. None of the images I posted are my kids. All of my kids are adults now and I would have to search for negative and scan into digital format to post. Altho, I do have a few in the archives somewhere. It would be fine if you would like to post some of yours. I always enjoy viewing sports photos.

The samples posted just happen to be an idea bouncing around and of course they need fine tuning. This thought of fine art sports action came to me while editing, I thought was a unique concept that I have not seen from anyone or anywhere? I should do some research on the subject matter. Thanks for your ideas.
Dave
Ernst takes some amazing sports related portraits, and though it is entirely a different ball game when someone comes to a studio, there could be some commonality. If customers knew of your service and requested it in advance, the old guy with a camera would be a hired photographer on a planned job just like when you used to do teams. A roving studio.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:57 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:50 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 pm
Psjunkie wrote:

Dave
Ernst takes some amazing sports related portraits, and though it is entirely a different ball game when someone comes to a studio, there could be some commonality. If customers knew of your service and requested it in advance, the old guy with a camera would be a hired photographer on a planned job just like when you used to do teams. A roving studio.

Absolutely Minnie !!! Of course although sports action is a form of street photography in my opinion. Marketing myself to what my provided services would be is my main issue. How is that resolved with success without breaking the bank to something I want rather than a need for financial gain?

What I love most about it is the facial expressions.

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:41 pm

What would make your service different is the action. You might have a small clientele, but that's OK. Often success is determined by finding a very small niche and claiming it for your own. At this stage it might be more satisfying that a large clientele wanting something that you don't enjoy doing very much.