Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Printer profiling

Post by minniev » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:33 am

Onslow wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 am
pop511 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 am
Onslow;
Nice to see you back. I did post my experiences with my new printer, the Epson surecolor P800 and like you I now print and work in the ProPhoto RGB 16bit settings.
I found that when changing from relative to perceptual the colours on the screen swam around. It became a case of, which is more accurate.
I now stay in Absolute print mode and stunned by the quality. Have you tried it?
As before "Nice to see you back, you Aussie B&^%t%rd.
Have fun;
G'day Ed, Using the rendering intents is something I do when soft proofing to see which one will best suit the image. LR only has Relative or Perceptual rendering intents. I don't use Absolute. I use colorthink pro to shown me an indication of how far out of a papers gamut the image is and I will decide it based on that. When softproofing in LR, I will adjust the processing of the softproof to match the master image as best I can and then print that once it's adjusted....
Nice to be back Ed. :) The last coupla years have seen me worn down with online forum battles so I don't post as much as I used to and avoid the flame wars that I see online over trivial issues....
I’m thrilled to have someone with printing expertise on the forum. (Most of us here are refugees from forum wars which are truly exhausting, but pM as I know it is a wonderfully peaceful and productive little community, free of trolls and battles. We have occasional incursions from spambots but we swat them pretty fast.)

I will probably have more questions, especially about what you are doing in printing via Lightroom (I get better results printing from Lightroom than from PS).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by pop511 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:46 pm

You wont get a fight from me Onslow, unless it is over a schooner or 2 or....
My printing is for home use, I'm not a Pro.
Absolute? I found it in P/S printer set-up. I had not seen it before I bought this printer, or indeed not taken any notice.
I use print preview in P/S and yes, the colours are wild, crazy, and nothing like as printed. I only use that to make sure I'm on A4 or A3 and not cropped.
If you have it, give it a try, if only because I am curious.
This forum has softened over the last couple of years. Less of "I'm right and everybody else is wrong"
Kind regards;
P/S: Put a tinny in the fridge for me
ed davis

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:01 am

pop511 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:46 pm
You wont get a fight from me Onslow, unless it is over a schooner or 2 or....
My printing is for home use, I'm not a Pro.
Absolute? I found it in P/S printer set-up. I had not seen it before I bought this printer, or indeed not taken any notice.
I use print preview in P/S and yes, the colours are wild, crazy, and nothing like as printed. I only use that to make sure I'm on A4 or A3 and not cropped.
If you have it, give it a try, if only because I am curious.
This forum has softened over the last couple of years. Less of "I'm right and everybody else is wrong"
Kind regards;
P/S: Put a tinny in the fridge for me
Print preview in photoshop does assume a few things are setup correctly. Do you have the paper profile selected in soft proofing? With that, the system attempts to mimic how a low dynamic range paper with its own white point will react when printed. It is always a shock seeing the wide dynamic range clipped down to a small dynamic range. The images lose punch etc and the colours can be off especially if simulate ink^paper is selected....
Without that all setup, print preview won't know how to simulate the print if you get my drift...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:15 am

It is good to see you back...I know nothing about printing but appreciate being able to try and absorb some of the great knowledge you are sharing...thank you for your participation

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks Onslow. You are way too far ahead of me. I did set up my profiles for my Kodak papers, but that is not my issue.
The issue is the swim in colours as seen on monitor and poor rendition when printed...BUT...absolute profile is amazing.
I suppose it comes down to "What works for me"
Just come back from a trip to Mallacoota in Victoria. Drove a truck down there to release pigeons for a race back to Sydney.
Of course I left my camera at home and we arrived there just before dawn. In the middle of the town on a grassy area were 20 plus Roos.
Wont forget it next time...
Have fun;
ed davis