"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Photography DiscussionAn Old Press Photog's Trick for Always Keeping a Protective Rear Cap on Every Lens

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

An Old Press Photog's Trick for Always Keeping a Protective Rear Cap on Every Lens

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 pm

I've done this for years with all my interchangeable lens cameras. A pal of mine years ago was a newspicture photographer and let me in on this trick. All you need is epoxy and glue two rear caps back-to-back...
Attachments
DSC05499.EMlr.jpg
This Lens has a single rear cap on. Sitting next to it is the modified back-to-back epoxied pair.
DSC05500.EMlr.jpg
Here's the lens with the modified pair on. It takes up hardly any extra room, just the thickness of one cap.
DSC05501.EMlr.jpg
In use, when you take a lens off the body, you immediately bayonet it into the double-rear-capped lens in your hand, unbayonet the new lens and bayonet it into the body. You can now drop the lens you just removed into the bag knowing the delicate stuff and electronics on the rear are protected. We generally relied on the lens hoods to keep stuff from damaging the front element. I personally never use a filter, just the hood.
DSC05503.EMlr.jpg
Close-up of the epoxied back-to-back caps with lenses attached. No, in all my years I have never had the bond fail so as to drop a lens. Never.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:25 am

I love DIY. Neat! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks for a tip that I've never heard before!!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 am

Cool, dude. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:36 am

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:25 am
I love DIY. Neat! S-
minniev wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:41 pm
Thanks for a tip that I've never heard before!!
Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 am
Cool, dude. Matt
Thank you all for looking and commenting. :clap:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:50 am

To me, that just seems so impractical. I can see (maybe) two short lenses together, but when it comes to longer lenses... How do you carry it?
The only way I can see it working is if you have the double ended cap on the lens you're carrying with the open cap ready to receive the in-use lens. But carrying more than two lenses would be awkward. 8~
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:02 am

Duck wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:50 am
To me, that just seems so impractical. I can see (maybe) two short lenses together, but when it comes to longer lenses... How do you carry it?
The only way I can see it working is if you have the double ended cap on the lens you're carrying with the open cap ready to receive the in-use lens. But carrying more than two lenses would be awkward. 8~
That's exactly it. Every lens in the bag has one of the double rear caps on it. When changing lenses you bayonet the "old" lens into the cap, unbayonet (is that a word?) the "new" lens, lock it onto the camera, and drop the "old" lens back in the bag. The idea is that it takes virtually no time and insures that the delicate fiddly bits and electronics and contacts on the rear of the lens are always protected even when changing lenses rapidly. The corollary is that every lens also has a lens hood to protect the front element (I'm not a fan of "protective filters," adding extra glass-to-air surfaces can increase flare). So yes, I lift a lens out of its place, uncouple the in-use lens, bayonet it (as shown) back to back with the replacement, uncouple the replacement and bayonet it on the camera while dropping the former lens into the bag, protected front and rear. (OK)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:25 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:02 am
[...] So yes, I lift a lens out of its place, uncouple the in-use lens, bayonet it (as shown) back to back with the replacement, uncouple the replacement and bayonet it on the camera while dropping the former lens into the bag, protected front and rear. (OK)
"Aha!", says Duck with a sudden dose of understanding.
(Sometimes he's slow like that.)

Now if he could only explain why he's talking in the third person...
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage