"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Photography DiscussionPhotography, Color Perception and Cataract Surgery

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Photography, Color Perception and Cataract Surgery

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:38 am

Over the past two weeks I've had cataract surgery on both eyes. The one yesterday was a success, we think, but the first one is problematic in terms of acuity. Both, however, have had huge changes in color and light perception, much more pronounced now that both eyes have been worked on. Acuity aside for now, colors are brighter, more distinct, are less yellow. What that means for my photography is yet to be determined (I'm still just trying to figure out how to walk down the hall without hitting a wall). But for a test, I took a photo I made and edited a few days after my first surgery, and re-edited it from scratch to see how it might be different. This photo was taken looking into a fairly yellowish evening light so it may not be fair, but I found it interesting that I "see" it differently just a week later. If you've had cataract surgery, I'd be interested in hearing how it affected your photography.

The first is with one eye fixed. The second is with both eyes fixed.
Attachments
surgery (1 of 2).jpg
surgery (2 of 2).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:00 am

It appears your second is just not as bright....that makes sense to me as I remember for quite some time after the surgery needing to wear sunglass even sometimes inside depending on the lighting...the brain is an amazing thing..it has finally adjusted and all that was askew in the first few months seems to have leveled out to what one would call normal..

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:41 am

Knock on wood, I haven't had to undergo any eye surgery. My wife, on the other hand, will be needing it within a year or two (we think). However, I have had a color deficiency my entire life, discovered when I enlisted in the Navy. Really pale greens and yellows (powdery pastels) are imperceptible to me and often seen as white. Don't bother taking me to buy any kind of off white paint. Unless there's a noticeable difference, I have trouble with the various hues.

I do find that this deficiency plays an influence on my coloring, both in art and photography. I tend to prefer bolder colors with more saturation and contrast.

All I know is that should it get to the point where I have difficulties with color processing I'm going all black and white. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:06 am

I suspect in the first I was trying the match the yellower scene I was perceiving when I shot it. It was also out of gamut. The second version was not. Yellow is reduced and green is desaturated some and darkened. It will be interesting to look back on some old image to see what I find.

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:51 pm

I found when I had my cataract surgery that everything became brighter and clearer. Colors became more vibrant. I am happy as punch with my 20 20 vision. I had mine done about 6 years ago and it is still 20 20. I do need glasses to read but I am more than happy with that.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 pm

mikec wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:51 pm
I found when I had my cataract surgery that everything became brighter and clearer. Colors became more vibrant. I am happy as punch with my 20 20 vision. I had mine done about 6 years ago and it is still 20 20. I do need glasses to read but I am more than happy with that.
I won't be going back to re edit all my photos but if I need to print something I've done in the past two years, I'll definitely recheck the colors.

I don't know how happy I'll be with my results, since one eye was much more successful than the other and I am now off tilt, but eventually we will hopefully get it figured out. I'll probably have to have some additional correction for the weird eye. But the brightness and the clarity of color is something I noticed immediately.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:41 pm

I count myself beyond lucky since I had to have a vitrectomy and removal of scar tissue over the macula in the right eye (2 years now I think?), considered major surgery. That eye then developed a whacking great cataract that had to be fixed because I was then totally blind in that eye. That was completely successful but the macula was permanently slightly rumpled so I will have some distortions in that eye for the rest of my life, but my color vision and acutance is still 100%, except that I have an incipient cataract developing in the left eye (now dominant since the right eye is permanently a little wonky) and if I look at a white surface and cover alternate eyes, the right eye sees the surface as what looks like a pure white while the left has a very slight but distinct yellow cast, from the cataract no doubt. Nevertheless I am grateful to have vision at all, not to mention life to see. If I couldn't do photography I'm not sure what I'd do. (N)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Amen Charles.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:41 pm
I count myself beyond lucky since I had to have a vitrectomy and removal of scar tissue over the macula in the right eye (2 years now I think?), considered major surgery. That eye then developed a whacking great cataract that had to be fixed because I was then totally blind in that eye. That was completely successful but the macula was permanently slightly rumpled so I will have some distortions in that eye for the rest of my life, but my color vision and acutance is still 100%, except that I have an incipient cataract developing in the left eye (now dominant since the right eye is permanently a little wonky) and if I look at a white surface and cover alternate eyes, the right eye sees the surface as what looks like a pure white while the left has a very slight but distinct yellow cast, from the cataract no doubt. Nevertheless I am grateful to have vision at all, not to mention life to see. If I couldn't do photography I'm not sure what I'd do. (N)
I remember when you went through all that Chuck, and shortly afterward my cousin had a similar experience though not quite as severe as yours. I am lucky to get by with just dizziness and poor vision in the one eye, that will be hopefully corrected with extra lenses. Everything I enjoy depends on eyes: reading, photography, playing with the grandkids, watching them in their activities. It's a scary thing.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:23 am

minniev wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:38 am
Over the past two weeks I've had cataract surgery on both eyes. The one yesterday was a success, we think, but the first one is problematic in terms of acuity. Both, however, have had huge changes in color and light perception, much more pronounced now that both eyes have been worked on. Acuity aside for now, colors are brighter, more distinct, are less yellow. What that means for my photography is yet to be determined (I'm still just trying to figure out how to walk down the hall without hitting a wall). But for a test, I took a photo I made and edited a few days after my first surgery, and re-edited it from scratch to see how it might be different. This photo was taken looking into a fairly yellowish evening light so it may not be fair, but I found it interesting that I "see" it differently just a week later. If you've had cataract surgery, I'd be interested in hearing how it affected your photography.

The first is with one eye fixed. The second is with both eyes fixed.

Unless my eyes have the same perception you have, I would say your vision with color perception is still on track. Glad to see there was success in your surgery. I, along with others, would miss seeing your wonderful images, Minnie !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey