"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Photography DiscussionHow To Sell Art

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: How To Sell Art

Post by minniev » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:54 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:26 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 pm
You better get to posting more pics....

note - I'm pretty sure you aren't really encouraging me there!

I don't think that would help - I uploaded 10 pretty good shots (I think). I got two bites on the one image that is very, very unique and earned 36 cents in one day (but one day only). If that was my return rate (interest shown in 10 percent of your images), it almost might be worth trying. But the ONE that was chosen IS unique, so I don't feel that we are looking at a true interest in 10 percent of my work. My conclusion at the moment is that it the competition for being found is too fierce and with the payoff being measured in cents, it is pretty obvious that stock is a buyer's market.

Also, should I ever try something like this again, spending time with the #tags is probably the most important thing you can do.

Chuck will have to wiegh in, he is still pumping images into their system I think.
You have about convinced me not to bother with it. I'll take my chances with the metal detector on the farm, looking for my great grand-daddy's buried gold.

Your stuff is so unique and interesting, I'm sure I'd never sell a thing. And there's no accounting for taste. The biggest sale I ever made for a print, a whopping $100, was a similar fluke. A man looked at a lot of my pretty nice images and finally told me what he'd really like is a shot of a particular broken neon sign outside an old motel he'd had some party times in several girlfriends past. I dug in my archives and found a casual snap I made years ago with a 10 mp camera, enlarged it, printed it and he loved it. Go figure.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:09 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:54 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:26 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:54 pm
You better get to posting more pics....

note - I'm pretty sure you aren't really encouraging me there!

I don't think that would help - I uploaded 10 pretty good shots (I think). I got two bites on the one image that is very, very unique and earned 36 cents in one day (but one day only). If that was my return rate (interest shown in 10 percent of your images), it almost might be worth trying. But the ONE that was chosen IS unique, so I don't feel that we are looking at a true interest in 10 percent of my work. My conclusion at the moment is that it the competition for being found is too fierce and with the payoff being measured in cents, it is pretty obvious that stock is a buyer's market.

Also, should I ever try something like this again, spending time with the #tags is probably the most important thing you can do.

Chuck will have to wiegh in, he is still pumping images into their system I think.
You have about convinced me not to bother with it. I'll take my chances with the metal detector on the farm, looking for my great grand-daddy's buried gold.

Your stuff is so unique and interesting, I'm sure I'd never sell a thing. And there's no accounting for taste. The biggest sale I ever made for a print, a whopping $100, was a similar fluke. A man looked at a lot of my pretty nice images and finally told me what he'd really like is a shot of a particular broken neon sign outside an old motel he'd had some party times in several girlfriends past. I dug in my archives and found a casual snap I made years ago with a 10 mp camera, enlarged it, printed it and he loved it. Go figure.
there is just so much to pick from, the chance of someone even landing on one of our images is between slim and none, so I say buyer's market. (But I could be completely wrong - I am sure for certain types of images there is a demand). To be fair, the way to do it is to upload your hundred best images during the course of one day. And then do it again seven more times. That gives you a weeks worth of work. Let it sit for three months and see if you make more than 36 cents. LOL.

Also, worth discussing is that our images are more of the fine-art processed type of stuff. A different type of place might do better for images like that. This traditional Stock stuff is not artsy... arsty doesn't help.

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Hey-o Piet! Congratulations! As it happens I just uploaded some more stuff to Shutterstock because I am making MON-EEEEeeeeeee :D (If you believe that I gotta bridge...) :lol:

But I've been there a year, made my first $.50 in a month, and now I am up to $22.36 for 42 downloads. They pay at $35 through PayPal. I still figger what've I got to lose? I'm getting better at editing my own stuff that I know they will reject. I'm using Nik's noise control because they are death on noise yet I happily bang away at stratospheric ISOs in no light (I'm a loooonatic). I cannot imagine and am far too shy to jump thru the hoops of getting releases (which I think actually includes getting signatures witnessed and maybe even notarized?) so I shoot flowers and zoo animals and landscapes and stuff. One of my "top sellers" has been a set of three shots of an "air dancer," one of those goofy things with a blower under it that waves madly to attract customers to your tire store or whatever. They've earned me, gosh, a buck or so I think. :D You can see my current portfolio here: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/charles_g_haacker

I figger it really costs me nothing and what else I gotta do? 8):
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:29 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 pm
Hey-o Piet! Congratulations! As it happens I just uploaded some more stuff to Shutterstock because I am making MON-EEEEeeeeeee :D (If you believe that I gotta bridge...) :lol:

But I've been there a year, made my first $.50 in a month, and now I am up to $22.36 for 42 downloads. They pay at $35 through PayPal. I still figger what've I got to lose? I'm getting better at editing my own stuff that I know they will reject. I'm using Nik's noise control because they are death on noise yet I happily bang away at stratospheric ISOs in no light (I'm a loooonatic). I cannot imagine and am far too shy to jump thru the hoops of getting releases (which I think actually includes getting signatures witnessed and maybe even notarized?) so I shoot flowers and zoo animals and landscapes and stuff. One of my "top sellers" has been a set of three shots of an "air dancer," one of those goofy things with a blower under it that waves madly to attract customers to your tire store or whatever. They've earned me, gosh, a buck or so I think. :D You can see my current portfolio here: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/charles_g_haacker

I figger it really costs me nothing and what else I gotta do? 8):

Good job on getting up past 20 bucks! - I read "I am making MON-EEEEeeeeee" and I swear I started salivating, 8~ so I was real glad that I kept reading. I might have to look at Shutterstock just on principle!!

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:39 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:29 am
Good job on getting up past 20 bucks! - I read "I am making MON-EEEEeeeeee" and I swear I started salivating, 8~ so I was real glad that I kept reading. I might have to look at Shutterstock just on principle!!
I think Shutterstock is one of the more well-known and therefore well trafficked, but the stuff I'm trying to sell is not really that salable. I think it's good, as good as any other of the genres on the site (and I look), but it's also ho-hum-drum, not unique. But as I said I don't want to shoot for sales because that means shooting people and then having to get witnesses and notarized releases. The flowers don't seem to mind the publicity and don't need releases. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:59 pm

I don't sell images on stock site but I just started selling some of my vector art on VectorStock. I just sold one of my images twice and got a whole whopping $0.60. :wall:

Tat2Duck at VectorStock
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:59 pm
I don't sell images on stock site but I just started selling some of my vector art on VectorStock. I just sold one of my images twice and got a whole whopping $0.60. :wall:

Tat2Duck at VectorStock
Ya'll are making me feel better about selling mine for $50 each (magazine).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:21 am

I think the definition of a professional is a member of a profession or any person who earns their living from a specified professional activity., but does it really matter - Congratulations! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:48 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:21 am
I think the definition of a professional is a member of a profession or any person who earns their living from a specified professional activity., but does it really matter - Congratulations! S-
Agree with the definition and the question. Duck is a pro. Ernst is a pro. Chuck is a retired studio pro who's made a living in this work but is now sticking his toe in the market for stock photography. But even that is kind of not the whole story. Though both are pros and excellent photographers, Duck doesn't do what Ernst does, and Ernst doesn't do what Duck does. My friend who's an excellent wedding photographer is impressed with some of my dam bird images while I would be lost trying to shoot a wedding. I'm completely blown away by the bird photography of a local guy who's retired from the telephone company and has no internet presence or sales, they're better than anything I see on the Audubon site. Like most human endeavors, it's complicated!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:16 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:48 pm
Agree with the definition and the question. Duck is a pro. Ernst is a pro. Chuck is a retired studio pro who's made a living in this work but is now sticking his toe in the market for stock photography. But even that is kind of not the whole story. Though both are pros and excellent photographers, Duck doesn't do what Ernst does, and Ernst doesn't do what Duck does. My friend who's an excellent wedding photographer is impressed with some of my dam bird images while I would be lost trying to shoot a wedding. I'm completely blown away by the bird photography of a local guy who's retired from the telephone company and has no internet presence or sales, they're better than anything I see on the Audubon site. Like most human endeavors, it's complicated!
I think what keeps most of us in the shadows is that large step across the divide between wanting and doing. It's a bigger gap than most people imagine and I give praise to those that make it look easy! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests