Photography DiscussionHow To Sell Art

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: How To Sell Art

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:52 pm

so here is my baseline... I uploaded fifteen images, three are still pending review. Eight got accepted, four have been rejected. One of the rejects is actually my favorite (the nuthatch), the rejection comments may be interesting about how "artistic" to make a piece. (they prefer the more straight forward images I think).

I think the claw image was rejected due to subject matter (I am not sure). The boat image was upsized, so that might be while it failed, or it might be too artistic... The beach image is another of my favorites and I was surprised that it was rejected. (mist is not exactly sharp...)

If I make four or five dollars off of this effort, I will at last be able to say that I am a PRO - LOL.
accepted.jpg
rejected.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:54 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 pm
That is a helpful description of what happens, how, and the end result. I have suspected as much, and that has deterred me from investing time in doing it. Jury is still out!
It's a serious time suck. I started doing the chores on my upload of 100 2 days ago but I've been lollagaggin'. Gotta get back to it. If I hadn't had a few bites I think I'd skip it, but I have a theory that you have to have lots of stuff available because you just never know what is gonna catch an art director's eye. You can have two nearly identical pictures: if you're lucky the AD picks yours; If not he picks the other guy's. So I guess the more you have in the mix the better your chances, but it is a nuisance. (?)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:59 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:54 am
minniev wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 pm
That is a helpful description of what happens, how, and the end result. I have suspected as much, and that has deterred me from investing time in doing it. Jury is still out!
It's a serious time suck. I started doing the chores on my upload of 100 2 days ago but I've been lollagaggin'. Gotta get back to it. If I hadn't had a few bites I think I'd skip it, but I have a theory that you have to have lots of stuff available because you just never know what is gonna catch an art director's eye. You can have two nearly identical pictures: if you're lucky the AD picks yours; If not he picks the other guy's. So I guess the more you have in the mix the better your chances, but it is a nuisance. (?)
Yeah, I am pretty sure a lot of it is a volume thing, and having good tags. Like everything else in this world, it is about being seen, being found...

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:57 am

It's been interesting reading the discussion here and while I was I came across this and thought it might help! S-
- Easily Capture Everyday Items to Sell as Stock Photography
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:38 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:57 am
It's been interesting reading the discussion here and while I was I came across this and thought it might help! S-
I saw that article and think it's a great idea. A lot of rejections are caused by lack of a model or property release, but as a card-carrying shy person I loathe the idea of having to go ask a stranger to sign a release. I think if I were approached I'd probably balk. But the stock agencies (not just the photographer) can be sued all the way to Hades for not having one so they are fierce about it. But it strikes me that there'd be little reason they couldn't use shots of everyday things provided they don't show logos or brand names (unless shot for editorial use).
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Steve, Now this looks like fun and I may scan my archive for the junk that rots there; one man's junk ... Second thoughts, I know, but I don't have to sit in a gallery. And Piet's lead and comments are encouraging. Thanks for the suggestion, nudge and article. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 pm
St3v3M wrote:
Steve, Now this looks like fun and I may scan my archive for the junk that rots there; one man's junk ... Second thoughts, I know, but I don't have to sit in a gallery. And Piet's lead and comments are encouraging. Thanks for the suggestion, nudge and article. Matt
We will see who gets the second bite (first bite goes to Chuck - He Beat Us All!).

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:47 pm

We will see who gets the second bite (first bite goes to Chuck - He Beat Us All!).

You gonna try?
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:47 pm

You gonna try?
I have a dozen images submitted to Adobe Stock. I don't plan on holding my breath, but you never know until you try, right!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 am

Like you, Charles, I find doing stock way too difficult to deal with. I made an attempt some years back but pulled my stuff down since I could really devote time to creating content.

The thing with stock photography is you can't just take photos like an art photographer. Stock art has to have some form of commercial value. It needs to sell a concept, idea or lifestyle. A 'pretty' picture won't cut it and will only sit in limbo without generating sales. Creating good stock imagery is like tackling a commercial photography job. You have to determine who your audience is, what the message you're conveying is and then execute it with technically professional quality results. A good stock image will also take into consideration things like left to right reading audiences, leading space for text and copy, a concise and easily understood concept or message, and so much more.

Yep, too much work for the average photographer and a low rate of return for many professionals too. Those that make it in stock do so because they are already shooting that kind of content in their business.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage