Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: How To Sell Art

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:39 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:52 pm
so here is my baseline... I uploaded fifteen images, three are still pending review. Eight got accepted, four have been rejected. One of the rejects is actually my favorite (the nuthatch), the rejection comments may be interesting about how "artistic" to make a piece. (they prefer the more straight forward images I think).

I think the claw image was rejected due to subject matter (I am not sure). The boat image was upsized, so that might be while it failed, or it might be too artistic... The beach image is another of my favorites and I was surprised that it was rejected. (mist is not exactly sharp...)

If I make four or five dollars off of this effort, I will at last be able to say that I am a PRO - LOL.

accepted.jpg
rejected.jpg
I have read that good tagging (which sounds cumbersome) is a must. I also read that they don't tend to like artistic creations as those buying stock are gonna have their own editors work it anyway. They just want the raw material.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:23 pm

yup, I am not at all hopeful. You never know who wants what, but I think it is as you and Duck say. Artistic skills are to sooth the soul. Well, I should not be too harsh on artistic skills, I am sure that people doing portraits find them useful.

edit - it will months before a bite (if ever), but my one week conclusion is that "how to sell art" and "stock" do not fit well within the same thread!!

mikec
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 pm

I don't think I would want to do stock. Don't have enough photos to merit the time or effort but I wonder how those with web sites like I have seen on SmugMug work out. On other photo forums I have seen links to the contributors web site and have visited and wondered if they are generating any income.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL