"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Photography DiscussionHow To Sell Art

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

How To Sell Art

Post by St3v3M » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:35 am

I'm starting this in response to a gut feeling and wonder what you think.

Every now and then we cross the line from snapshot to art, it's a gift, and I believe unless you're sharing it you're wasting it.

Maybe it's as simple as posting your art here, maybe you take it a step further and post to social media, but I think there's more and wonder what you think of selling your art. It doesn't have to be your main source of income or a full-time job, maybe you see it as adding to your legacy, either way, I see it as a way to share your gift to a larger audience, to share it with the world.

I'm not even sure how to start, but think it's worth looking into and wonder what you think. S-
- How To Sell Art
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:46 am

Steve, I prefer to give it away to friends and family. A close friend, an orthodontist, was also a painter in his spare time and devoted a lot of his time to painting when he retired 10 years ago and joined a gallery to sell his art. The artists would take turns minding the gallery and handling sales. He quit after a few weeks: the casual, insensitive, almost cruel comments and bargaining not to mention the quick in and out of the tourists cut him. My skin is too thin. And it would be too much work, I suspect with very little of the reward I get from just giving. And a sixth career at my age is a real reach. Just my take on the question. But there are many here who could go that way. I won't mention any names but I have asked her when she will start selling. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:46 am
Steve, I prefer to give it away to friends and family. A close friend, an orthodontist, was also a painter in his spare time and devoted a lot of his time to painting when he retired 10 years ago and joined a gallery to sell his art. The artists would take turns minding the gallery and handling sales. He quit after a few weeks: the casual, insensitive, almost cruel comments and bargaining not to mention the quick in and out of the tourists cut him. My skin is too thin. And it would be too much work, I suspect with very little of the reward I get from just giving. And a sixth career at my age is a real reach. Just my take on the question. But there are many here who could go that way. I won't mention any names but I have asked her when she will start selling. Matt
Friends and family are a wonderful way to share, I wonder if it has to be that hard though, a suggestion here and an offer there.

We all have our own path to follow, keep on yours! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 am

May be. I'll watch. Matt
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:08 am

I suppose it's a matter of how art is defined. I have sold my art my entire life. Of course my art was created for specific client needs and not created on my own whim. That would be the difference between commercial art and fine art. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:54 am

An interesting dilemma. I would like to sell some of my art but the chances are slim. There’s little market where I live for fine art photography. I see no reason to sell something for less than it costs to produce it, that seems to be self-defeating. And I don’t want to reduce the dam birds to walgreen prints to get a price point low enough to market them cheaply because the printing and specialty paper used for them is such an integral part of their beauty. It remains a dilemma.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 pm

An absolute good subject for discussion. Although, now days I don't have much to offer. Selling my images use to be an huge interest. I don't push the issue for the fact I just can't see anyone have an interest of a B&W stranger hanging on their wall. Although, there are some I would like to have displayed somewhere, in print of course. I just haven't pursued the matter.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:25 am

Steve, As I watch this thread, I try to clarify my thinking and my negative reaction to the topic. Piet wrote something in a post that is helping me think this through:

"I think Art and the sharing of Art is very personal."

I share because I care about the individual and want to express that. I treasure my photos -- some of them at least -- and feel genuinely hurt it someone I care about dismisses them. The hallways of pM are crowded with people I care about and who have shown care about me, so I share. You have set a trusting tone that welcomes that. Thank you. I will continue to think about this. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:59 am

davechinn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 pm
An absolute good subject for discussion. Although, now days I don't have much to offer. Selling my images use to be an huge interest. I don't push the issue for the fact I just can't see anyone have an interest of a B&W stranger hanging on their wall. Although, there are some I would like to have displayed somewhere, in print of course. I just haven't pursued the matter.
Dave
I was thinking about this and while I want to make this into something more 'selling' could be as easy as submitting our 'throwaways' to stock photo sites and let them decide what's good and worth the effort. A little extra cash could mean better equipment! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:01 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:25 am
Steve, As I watch this thread, I try to clarify my thinking and my negative reaction to the topic. Piet wrote something in a post that is helping me think this through:

"I think Art and the sharing of Art is very personal."

I share because I care about the individual and want to express that. I treasure my photos -- some of them at least -- and feel genuinely hurt it someone I care about dismisses them. The hallways of pM are crowded with people I care about and who have shown care about me, so I share. You have set a trusting tone that welcomes that. Thank you. I will continue to think about this. Matt
I've been thinking about this - how to sell photos to stock photography sites