Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Hyperfocal distance in landscape photography

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:17 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:20 pm
Wow, Chuck, these are two great posts. I will bookmark them and return to get the info ingrained into my head. And I will experiment with the apples and post them. I feel I am going to school without having to pay tuition--a need-based scholarship. Thanks. Matt
On review it's a LOT to take in! The key takeaway is that depth-of-field is influenced by several factors, including focal length (shorter lenses "appear" to have greater DOF than longer ones), distance to the plane focused on, and aperture. Folks tend to think in terms of aperture alone, and smaller holes (higher numbers) do deliver greater DOF at a given focal length and range-to-object-focused-upon. But the other two factors are equally important. Often shooting landscape you may select a shorter lens, say a 35 or 28 mm on a full frame. Shorter lenses have inherently deeper apparent DOF so you may get away with f/8 or f/11. Also, landscapes tend to be shot from relatively greater distances; that increases DOF without doing anything else. The simple advice to guesstimate about 1/3 into the scene and focus there will very often get the job done handily. Where you may need greater DOF is when you choose to include some foreground interest that you want to hold sharp along with the main scene, and that's when calculated hyperfocal will work better, and where you may need to stop to f/16 or even f/22 if you have it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:21 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 pm
I never get the dof I want in landscapes. I found this today and will try it when I have a chance. Wanted to share it with others. (Cyber-challenged: I don't know how to copy the site's address.) I have been using bbf for years. Matt

A Landscape Shooter’s Guide to Back Button Focus and Hyperfocal Distance
MAR 29, 2018 MICHAEL ZHANG
When adding/editing a post, look for the green earth icon with the chain link below it
- Add the website address and title

"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:29 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:21 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 pm
I never get the dof I want in landscapes. I found this today and will try it when I have a chance. Wanted to share it with others. (Cyber-challenged: I don't know how to copy the site's address.) I have been using bbf for years. Matt

MAR 29, 2018 MICHAEL ZHANG
When adding/editing a post, look for the green earth icon with the chain link below it
- Add the website address and title

Not sure what this means Steve. Where on this page is the green earth icon? Much to learn. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:40 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:29 pm
Not sure what this means Steve. Where on this page is the green earth icon? Much to learn. Matt
When you Add or Edit a Post the bar above your text has formatting options, one is to add a link! S-
- hover over each to learn what it does
Attachments
Capture.JPG
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Ah. Thanks. Much to explore, much to learn. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange