"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Photography DiscussionNew "Big Boy" Camera Finally

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

New "Big Boy" Camera Finally

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Y'all'll think I lost my tiny mind, especially after more than 10 years of insisting on the KISS principle and I don't wanna carry a bunch'a gear and weight and mass and fuss'n'feathers and yada et cetera. :p
IMG_20180123_115725-Edit.EMlr.jpg
"Hae ye seen th' white whale?"
DSC00023-Edit.EMlr - Edited.jpg
Why is this maniac grinning maniacally?
So here's d'ting. My 2-year-old beloved "big sensor" camera, Sony RX10 (1" sensor) seems to have developed a fungus or something behind or between the components of the front element. It has not yet intruded on the axis but it seems to be inexorably growing (another thing it could be is failure of the adhesive holding two elements together). I checked and found that this seems to be a not uncommon problem with the Mighty Zeiss, and well beyond the capability of any user to fix (in fact it may not be fixable, just a matter for replacement of the entire front element). I sent it in. They said I would be without my favorite camera for a month. A MONTH! NOOOOOoooooooooo! So I naturally began researching possibilities and landed pretty firmly on the Sony A6000, an already "obsolete" 2014 model that lacks the umpety-ump rilly kewl features of the latest bells-and-whistles whiz bangs, but also lacks the price$. Meanwhile, back came the estimate that "repair" would cost more than a brand new camera. So I duz the math, and ...

So the A6000 has an APS-C sensor, 4X the area of my 1-inch, with a 1.5 crop factor. Yes, I got it with the two much-disparaged and maligned "kit" lenses because that deal made the most sense (range from equiv. 24 - 300+ mm). No, I don't think they will be quite as bad as reviewed (reviewers get paid to be picky picky picky). Sure, I have my eye on "better" ones, such as a 50 1.8 and maybe a macro. I stayed with Sony because (1) I've been tremendously please with the RX10's performance, and (2) the menus on the two cameras are virtually identical, considerably flattening the learning curve.

I've always said that if I finally moved up to a Big Boy camera it would be a mirrorless, if for no other reason than that they are quiet and I like to be discreet when shooting in museums and such. I am addicted to live view so why have a DSLR with a mirror? I've been unwell for a while so I'm hoping if I get to feeling better soon I will be out and about and trying it out. :cheers:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:14 pm

While I'm not a gear head and I often advised against buying new "toys" for the sake of collecting t he latest and greatest, there is something refreshing about getting something new (even if that something is an older model).

Enjoy your new 'big boy' :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm so tickled you posted photo #1, that I saw pre-fanciful edits and caption and which now is just absolutely awesomely entertaining - and a moment in time that many of us can relate to. Have fantastic fun with your new camera, Chuck!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm
Y'all'll think I lost my tiny mind, especially after more than 10 years of insisting on the KISS principle and I don't wanna carry a bunch'a gear and weight and mass and fuss'n'feathers and yada et cetera. :p
So here's d'ting. My 2-year-old beloved "big sensor" camera, Sony RX10 (1" sensor) seems to have developed a fungus or something behind or between the components of the front element. It has not yet intruded on the axis but it seems to be inexorably growing (another thing it could be is failure of the adhesive holding two elements together). I checked and found that this seems to be a not uncommon problem with the Mighty Zeiss, and well beyond the capability of any user to fix (in fact it may not be fixable, just a matter for replacement of the entire front element). I sent it in. They said I would be without my favorite camera for a month. A MONTH! NOOOOOoooooooooo! So I naturally began researching possibilities and landed pretty firmly on the Sony A6000, an already "obsolete" 2014 model that lacks the umpety-ump rilly kewl features of the latest bells-and-whistles whiz bangs, but also lacks the price$. Meanwhile, back came the estimate that "repair" would cost more than a brand new camera. So I duz the math, and ...

So the A6000 has an APS-C sensor, 4X the area of my 1-inch, with a 1.5 crop factor. Yes, I got it with the two much-disparaged and maligned "kit" lenses because that deal made the most sense (range from equiv. 24 - 300+ mm). No, I don't think they will be quite as bad as reviewed (reviewers get paid to be picky picky picky). Sure, I have my eye on "better" ones, such as a 50 1.8 and maybe a macro. I stayed with Sony because (1) I've been tremendously please with the RX10's performance, and (2) the menus on the two cameras are virtually identical, considerably flattening the learning curve.

I've always said that if I finally moved up to a Big Boy camera it would be a mirrorless, if for no other reason than that they are quiet and I like to be discreet when shooting in museums and such. I am addicted to live view so why have a DSLR with a mirror? I've been unwell for a while so I'm hoping if I get to feeling better soon I will be out and about and trying it out. :cheers:
Love the expressions on those two shots!

Now get cracking on taking some pictures! We don't care what they're of, just show us some! Note that Matt and I have been posting pictures of toys, so there is a theme building...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:

Chuck,

#1, Lord of the Lens Ring! What magic to come. How did you take it? I want to try that.

#2, You look happy. Grand. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Post by uuglypher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Wonderful post, Chuck!
I can soooo relate to all the emotions described.
An that first selfie of waiting for the truck is priceless!

Best,
Dave

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:14 pm
While I'm not a gear head and I often advised against buying new "toys" for the sake of collecting t he latest and greatest, there is something refreshing about getting something new (even if that something is an older model).

Enjoy your new 'big boy' :D
Thanks, Duck! I figure this absolutely positively has to be my Last Camera (well, you know...). I definitely wanted mirrorless, I like light weight, and I think the APS-C sensor should be finally big enough to suit me. I was tempted by the latest gee-golly-whiz features of the newer models but it's like cars: a slightly older model still goes, right?
LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:45 pm
I'm so tickled you posted photo #1, that I saw pre-fanciful edits and caption and which now is just absolutely awesomely entertaining - and a moment in time that many of us can relate to. Have fantastic fun with your new camera, Chuck!
Thanks, Linda! I did do a little work on that thing 'cuz it's amazing how old I look as opposed to how I feel. Well, not that old anyways!
minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm
Love the expressions on those two shots!

Now get cracking on taking some pictures! We don't care what they're of, just show us some! Note that Matt and I have been posting pictures of toys, so there is a theme building...
Minnie, I shall get something up as soon as possible. I was actually out last evening at blue hour (since it was above freezing) but I was also experimenting madly and not intelligently.
Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 pm
Chuck,

#1, Lord of the Lens Ring! What magic to come. How did you take it? I want to try that.

#2, You look happy. Grand. Matt
Thanks, Matt. That silly pitcher is a one-handed cell-selfie that occurred to me as I was actually pulling the curtain back looking for the Brown Truck. Tripping it was interesting; I gave myself a hand cramp! :rofl:
uuglypher wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 pm
Wonderful post, Chuck!
I can soooo relate to all the emotions described.
An that first selfie of waiting for the truck is priceless!

Best,
Dave
Thanks, Dave. I was telling Matt that I gave myself a painful hand cramp tripping the cell camera, and I am a little shocked at how old I am. I hadn't noticed. :(
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:

Chuck does not matter if you have lost your mind or not !!! Most of us belong in the "Looney Tune Bin"anyway, so you aren't alone. WOW on the first image. I love everything about that image. Excellent, excellent, excellent !!! Congratulations on your new camera, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:31 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:04 pm
Chuck does not matter if you have lost your mind or not !!! Most of us belong in the "Looney Tune Bin"anyway, so you aren't alone. WOW on the first image. I love everything about that image. Excellent, excellent, excellent !!! Congratulations on your new camera, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Dave
Thanks, Dave! :D I am today posting some of the first "real" pitchers with it. I haven't been doing much but it's winter (yuck).

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 pm

I keep telling myself I won't get another until I can outshoot the one I have, but I have to say I'm jealous!

I love the raw emotion of the first but hope you make the second your avatar! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"