"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

Photography DiscussionUsing Lightroom Mobile On The Road

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Using Lightroom Mobile On The Road

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:10 am

If the mba has an SD slot, just stick the card in there. If it doesn’t have a slot but has a USB port, you can use the camera connector. If the slot is not a “normal” slot (Apple has some proprietary port designs that are different), it may require an adapter to allow either SD or USB connection. My ipad has what they call a lightning port, and I had to get an SD card reader that had a lightning connector.

Once you get set up, you’ll have to decide whether to put Lightroom on your mba (you can run LR subscription model on two computers), and then configure your mba for downloading, or it’ll dump everything into Apple Photos by default. If you run into trouble, yell!
THE BEGINNING OF VICTORY

I have been playing for the past week with a method of moving pictures between my "good" desktop computer where my full photo library lives, my elderly travel laptop, my phone, and my snazzy new ipad so that I can avoid taking the laptop everywhere. I am far from achieving my goal but I have broken through the fog a little. If you have Adobe CC, there are options available to us. I hope somebody will jump in here and experiment with me and share knowledge.

Here's where I am so far.
-I have installed Adobe Creative Cloud app on all devices (yeah, you gotta put it on the phone or tablet for this stuff to work).
-I have installed LRCC on my laptop, my phone and my ipad. On the desktop I just have LR Classic, which is my photo lab and index, where everything happens. I also have LRClassic on the old laptop, and contrary to what I've seen on forums, it does not generate extra cost or seem to cause any problems even though this machine is ancient and slow.
-In my LR Classic prefs I have a destination for my LRCC Ecosystem images on the external drive where all my photos live.The default is for them all to go in the Photos folder of the ipad which would allegedly cause the device to attempt to back it up to the Apple cloud, which I'm not sure I want. Once a photo hits that folder, it shows up everywhere else. But I'm still not sure what "Ecosystem images" really means.
-I can move images into and out of the Lightroom or photos app (what you use to take pictures on an iphone or ipad) fairly seamlessly, and can use other editors on the mobile apps then push the image back to my LRClassic catalogue from anywhere that I have service.
-I have not figured out how the sync collections thing works. I set it up according to Adobe instructions but it doesn't seem to work, so I'll keep at that.

Here is a very bad picture of Herself, taken with my regular camera, uploaded to the ipad with an SD card reader, edited in LR and a really cool mobile app named Distressed, pushed back into LRCC and magically transferred to my main LR Classic catalog on my desktop.
Attachments
x (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:37 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm
THE BEGINNING OF VICTORY