“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

Photography DiscussionUsing Lightroom Mobile On The Road

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Project 52 - Wheel Decide

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:27 am

Lucky me. For my second week, I got Dawn's Light. We may head up to Cape Cod Sunday to check on the house; neighbors report some slight damage from the 75mph winds. For the light photo,I hope to get down to Paines Creek Beach where the ice flows are mammoth our neighbor said. But I won't be able to post till we get back since I am not bringing my iMac and don't use LR mobile. And, by then, we will have global warming -- or at least on the East Coast. Stay tuned. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:44 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:27 am
Lucky me. For my second week, I got Dawn's Light. We may head up to Cape Cod Sunday to check on the house; neighbors report some slight damage from the 75mph winds. For the light photo,I hope to get down to Paines Creek Beach where the ice flows are mammoth our neighbor said. But I won't be able to post till we get back since I am not bringing my iMac and don't use LR mobile. And, by then, we will have global warming -- or at least on the East Coast. Stay tuned. Matt

Have you considered LR mobile? I’m studying up on it, have never used it before but got a new iPad for Christmas and want to make it a travel pal if I can figure out a workflow. Are you interested in exploring the unknown on this mobile thing? I’m not traveling next week but I’m gonna pretend I am! (Terrified!)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:44 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:27 am

Have you considered LR mobile? I’m studying up on it, have never used it before but got a new iPad for Christmas and want to make it a travel pal if I can figure out a workflow. Are you interested in exploring the unknown on this mobile thing? I’m not traveling next week but I’m gonna pretend I am! (Terrified!)
As if I don't have enough challenge in my life as is. But I am up for it if you are. Lead on MacMinnie. I have a MacBook Air, if that helps in your figuring things out. I will have to load whatever software I will need onto my mba tonight or tomorrow. I'll google the instructions in about an hour. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 am

As if I don't have enough challenge in my life as is. But I am up for it if you are. Lead on MacMinnie. I have a MacBook Air, if that helps in your figuring things out. I will have to load whatever software I will need onto my mba tonight or tomorrow. I'll google the instructions in about an hour. Matt
What we seem to need is Lightroom CC on one computer and on the iPad. Can be downloaded at no extra cost via Adobe CC. I have installed these but have no idea how to use them. We need a way to get pictures into the iPad if we’re gonna use an iPad as a substitute for a laptop, we need a way to get photos from the camera into the ipad. I ordered a SD card reader for mine. I won’t be installing Lightroom CC on the desktop because I don’t want to cause anything crazy to happen to my main computer before I learn what I’m doing. I’m sticking with LR classic on the desktop. Though another friend has told me that he has both on his main computer and they don’t interfere with each other.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 am

What we seem to need is Lightroom CC on one computer and on the iPad. Can be downloaded at no extra cost via Adobe CC. I have installed these but have no idea how to use them. We need a way to get pictures into the iPad if we’re gonna use an iPad as a substitute for a laptop, we need a way to get photos from the camera into the ipad. I ordered a SD card reader for mine. I won’t be installing Lightroom CC on the desktop because I don’t want to cause anything crazy to happen to my main computer before I learn what I’m doing. I’m sticking with LR classic on the desktop. Though another friend has told me that he has both on his main computer and they don’t interfere with each other.
I wonder whether I can download LR classic onto my mba which has a port for reading sd cards, so it may be easier and smoother for me. Let me google stuff and get back to you. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:47 am

I now have both Lightroom cc and classic on my elderly MacBook. But my real goal is to get a tablet centered travel solution.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:07 am

I haven't used Lightroom Mobile but am enjoying the conversation! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:24 am

I am very committed to Chromebook but only the newest models will run Android. So far as I know my beloved Toshiba is "too old" (who ya callin' OLD, pal?) but no way am I going to buy a new one. They are not expensive but they are not cheap either. My Toshiba has the very best screen I have ever seen. It cannot be calibrated with my Spyder 5 but it doesn't seem to matter. When I set it next to my Lenovo with the 21" LED monitor it's close enough to a match to be more than satisfactory (many Chromebooks have an unfortunate tendency to skew blue and cannot be adjusted). The screen resolution is crisp and bright. I think I could edit credibly on this machine (I'm always on it unless I am editing) but the computer gods won't let me.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 am

St3v3M wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:07 am
I have synced my mba with some collections on my iMac and done some playing around. Now I want to download some photos from an sd card into LR on my mba but can't find out how to do it. Can anyone point me to a link, please? Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:10 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 am
St3v3M wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:07 am
I have synced my mba with some collections on my iMac and done some playing around. Now I want to download some photos from an sd card into LR on my mba but can't find out how to do it. Can anyone point me to a link, please? Thanks. Matt
If the mba has an SD slot, just stick the card in there. If it doesn’t have a slot but has a USB port, you can use the camera connector. If the slot is not a “normal” slot (Apple has some proprietary port designs that are different), it may require an adapter to allow either SD or USB connection. My ipad has what they call a lightning port, and I had to get an SD card reader that had a lightning connector.

Once you get set up, you’ll have to decide whether to put Lightroom on your mba (you can run LR subscription model on two computers), and then configure your mba for downloading, or it’ll dump everything into Apple Photos by default. If you run into trouble, yell!