The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Photography DiscussionHypothetical: On a stroll with companion(s), How Much Time Do or Can You Take to Compose and Shoot?

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Hypothetical: On a stroll with companion(s), How Much Time Do or Can You Take to Compose and Shoot?

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:49 pm
Like Charles, I love this comment also. Fortunately for my wife and I we've had more ups than downs, so there's that to be thankful for.

Both you and Charles touched on how you see the world differently since taking up photography. This reminds me of a silly argument my wife and I got into near the beginning of our relationship. To be honest, I can't even remember the exact cause for the argument but she was upset with me because I was not giving her the kind of attention I was giving my art. She obviously never dealt with an artist and I never dealt with a situation where someone was jealous of my time dedicated to my art.

What launched the argument was a comment I made about how I can't turn off being an artist because it's how I see the world and everything in it. Obviously she didn't get it, which frustrated me because I have a low tolerance for ignorance (not in the negative sense of the word) and I couldn't understand why she didn't get it as it was very obvious (to me). Plus, she can often be like a pit bull and not let go of certain issues, for better or worse.

Finally, after about 20-30 minutes of holding my ground and trying every form of analogy I could think of, she finally conceded and let the subject drop. For about a month after that argument I made it a point to periodically verbalize what I was seeing so she got a better sense of how I was wired. After a while I think she finally understood and now doesn't bother me about it. She does, however, needles me on how I have more patience teaching others than I do at teaching her. :-D
My ex-was an artist and I could never understand how she was able to see the world through her work. It always fascinated me. I could see the world through my lens but the world was already there. Then about a year ago I met a beautiful woman on the John Muir Trail. We were in the Toulomne Meadows Backpackers Camp heading to a ranger talk. She noticed my camera and the conversation evolved. She asked what she could do to improve her photos and I immediately said she needed To Tell The Story, but I could see she didn't understand so I pointed to some rocks and said what's the story? Her look said she had made a bad choice and I was probably one of those crazy people so I quickly said, look at it this way, you can stand above it and take a picture, it will be a picture but is that what made you stop to look at it in the first place? What if you got low and took it then, is the story different, and what if you walked around it, would that story change?

I went on to explain that there's something inside us that makes us want to take the picture, but sometimes standing there is not what drew us to it in the first place. I said to look, to really look at the image and decide what is it that stopped you, then decide the best way to express it so others will see it as well. I wish I had been brave enough to have asked for her number...

The reason I mention this is seeing is something most of us have known from birth, but really seeing is something that only happens when we open our minds to the possibility of more, when we take time to smell the roses, and when we pull our eyes away from our phones. Looking at it from your wife's perspective I would be jealous too. You are the one she loves, but you can see things she doesn't and even more, you love those things. It's sort of like me with my ex, I wasn't jealous of her talent, but I didn't understand it.

We take images that we can help the world to see what we see, to feel what we feel, to know more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:49 pm
[...] She does, however, needles me on how I have more patience teaching others than I do at teaching her. :-D
That's strange...never heard nuthin' like that before... :lol: (I wish Daphne were here 'cuz she would just howl! :rofl: Plus prob'ly give me a none-too-gentle punch in the shoulder! ow)

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 pm
[...] really seeing is something that only happens when we open our minds to the possibility of more, when we take time to smell the roses, and when we pull our eyes away from our phones. [...] We take images that we can help the world to see what we see, to feel what we feel, to know more! S-
I immediately flashed on Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence, the line, "People talking without speaking/
People hearing without listening,"
(and by inference) People looking without seeing. It takes thought and training and practice to learn to do it.
[...] there's something inside us that makes us want to take the picture, but sometimes standing there is not what drew us to it in the first place. I said to look, to really look at the image and decide what is it that stopped you, then decide the best way to express it so others will see it as well.
But! If it were easy wouldn't everyone be doing it... :? (Should'a aksed fer her number, putz!)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:23 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 pm
[...] The reason I mention this is seeing is something most of us have known from birth, but really seeing is something that only happens when we open our minds to the possibility of more, when we take time to smell the roses, and when we pull our eyes away from our phones. [...]
This reminds me of a saying one of my favorite drawing teachers in college used to say; "We all have the ability to look at an object. You need to really 'see' the object." I'm paraphrasing of course, but that was the gist of it.

The thing I find is that we are constantly honing this skill. No matter how old we get. :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 pm
(Should'a aksed fer her number, putz!)
Yup! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:23 pm
This reminds me of a saying one of my favorite drawing teachers in college used to say; "We all have the ability to look at an object. You need to really 'see' the object." I'm paraphrasing of course, but that was the gist of it.

The thing I find is that we are constantly honing this skill. No matter how old we get. :-D
One of the many reasons I love being here is that I can learn to see through the eyes of others! S-