minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Learning Photography: Discuss

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Ed, StevenW, Chuck, Matt:

Thanks for great stories about your own journeys into learning photography. I've really enjoyed reading your stories and comments back and forth, and hope others will join this rich discussion.

My own journey INTO photography had two segments, one as a teenage girl growing up in a family newspaper business where everybody had to learn how to do everything- including taking and developing photos, and getting them ready for press. We also printed the school newspapers for all four of the high schools in the county, so I became the darkroom gal for all of them at an early age. So the smell of the darkroom is familiar to me, though the nostalgia for it is rather mild. I went to college with the intent of following my family in the newspaper business, majoring in journalism, but got swept away in the social justice movement of the 1960's and ended up majoring in sociology and getting my masters' in social work. My career was all in human services - a counselor in public mental health centers and working with troubled kids in the public school system.

For 35 years I never touched a camera. Then I kinda got an itch to take pictures of our son's baseball career. And once I had a DSLR in hand, I rediscovered the sheer joy of figuring out how to capture scenes, people. objects, and the new joy of how to do it digitally. I inched into raw capture, into Lightroom, and finally into Photoshop. I never had any formal instruction, but read extensively on my own and like Matt, searched without any luck for a local mentor (there just isn't much interest in photography where I live). When I found no one to share my journey, I turned to the internet, found the help I needed, and eventually ended up here.

Whatever I know about photography, and whatever I've accomplished (this has been my banner year, with the LULA endowment award and the gallery exhibits of the dam birds), I owe to the wonderful friends I've made online, who have taught, challenged, and encouraged me and who I still depend on for feedback and problem solving. That I've been able to spend real-life time with some of them has been an added joy. And I'm very excited about the kind of fellowship and shared learning we are building here.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Ed Shapiro wrote:[...] My advice was to mix up a batch and allow it to oxidize, which intensifies the odor and keep a tray of this sludge under his computer desk as he effortlessly edits his images- inhale- exhale- Ahhhh! :D

Beautiful!
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:46 am

Duck wrote:
Ed Shapiro wrote:[...] My advice was to mix up a batch and allow it to oxidize, which intensifies the odor and keep a tray of this sludge under his computer desk as he effortlessly edits his images- inhale- exhale- Ahhhh! :D

Beautiful!

Oh that's beyond beautiful! That's hilarious!! :rofl:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|