"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Photography DiscussionSensor Cleaning..AGAIN!!

pop511
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Sensor Cleaning..AGAIN!!

Post by pop511 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 am

Sensor Cleaning: Yeah I know been done to death, but it is something many of us have to contend with all the time.
My camera is a Canon 1dsMkii and dust collection seems to be it's happy pastime.
We all have our favourite methods and I for one am not saying for anyone in any way to change, I'm just describing what I use.

For some time I have been using cotton buds, but getting into the corners has been a problem. In frustration I cut off the bottom of the bud and either using a thumb and finger from both hands squared off the end or squeezing one side shaped it into a point, which both work in getting into the corners. Now, happily I don't get crud build up in the corners and edges. For cleaning fluid, I use a lens cleaner solution made for eye glasses and it leaves the sensor spotless. When wetting the cotton bud I only dampen it slightly. As yet I have have never had any problems with fibres coming away. To dry the lens I use more buds cut in the same way.

Some time ago I put up a post called "Flash Block" as noted below
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2661
The two pictures put up for this post was taken using my flash block with Zenko lens extenders. I used some foil wrapping from inside a cigarettes packet and inserted between the block and the flash. One side of the foil has a satin look with small dimples. The other side side is paper, again a dimpled finish. Flash was on 50mm ( which is a mistake, but I was playing with it doing portraits ) Pic 1 is the foil side.
I find using this method is a lot better than using the pop up on the flash head and get more control over the spread of light.
Have Fun;
ed
Attachments
Bud1.jpg
CutBud.jpg
ed davis

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:29 am

pop511 wrote:Sensor Cleaning: Yeah I know been done to death, but it is something many of us have to contend with all the time.
My camera is a Canon 1dsMkii and dust collection seems to be it's happy pastime.
We all have our favourite methods and I for one am not saying for anyone in any way to change, I'm just describing what I use.

I'll admit I'm a bit nervous cleaning my sensor and have been lucky so far. Someday though and this will help.

Thank you for adding this here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by pop511 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:55 am

When you clean the sensor you are not actually touching the elements, there is a protective covering.
Took delivery of my almost new Canon 1dx Mk2
Happy lad again!
Will try to post pictures of the foil inside the beer can holders this week, with scene shots.
Have fun;
ed
ed davis

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:02 am

pop511 wrote:When you clean the sensor you are not actually touching the elements, there is a protective covering.
Took delivery of my almost new Canon 1dx Mk2
Happy lad again!
Will try to post pictures of the foil inside the beer can holders this week, with scene shots.
Have fun;
ed

Thank you so much, and enjoy! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"