"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

Photography DiscussionThe Ethics of Landscape Photography - Article for Discussion

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The Ethics of Landscape Photography - Article for Discussion

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:09 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:00 am
D'you know where that's from? Maybe you've heard it, but it was the tagline from a wine commercial years ago, don't recall which winery, but the line was, "We will sell no wine before its time." Uhmmm, oookay. :|
Ernest Gallo - "We will sell no wine before its time."
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 am

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:09 am
Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:00 am
D'you know where that's from? Maybe you've heard it, but it was the tagline from a wine commercial years ago, don't recall which winery, but the line was, "We will sell no wine before its time." Uhmmm, oookay. :|
Ernest Gallo - "We will sell no wine before its time."
Ha! You remembered better'n me! I should have if for no other reason than that when Daphne and I met she was working as an assistant copywriter for BBDO, Batton, Barton, Durstine, and Osborn, San Francisco, and guess which client was one of her accounts... :| Of course, at that time (1970) Gallo was best known for (seriously) Thunderbird! :thumbdown: Times they change.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 am
Ha! You remembered better'n me! I should have if for no other reason than that when Daphne and I met she was working as an assistant copywriter for BBDO, Batton, Barton, Durstine, and Osborn, San Francisco, and guess client which was one of her accounts... :| Of course, at that time (1970) Gallo was best known for (seriously) Thunderbird! :thumbdown: Times they change.
Memories are a beautiful thing! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 pm

The Ethics of "Getting the Shot"
"Is it worth risking your life, damaging the landscape, or breaking the law all for a photo?"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 pm
"Is it worth risking your life, damaging the landscape, or breaking the law all for a photo?"
Wonderful article and Julie is a hero. My take? "Is it worth ...?" Absolutely not, not nohow.

She didn't mention it but last year a bunch of Canadian YouTubers happily traipsed across the travertine terraces of the Mammoth Hot Spring in Yellowstone. There are signs everywhere in Yellowstone in I-don't-know-how-many-languages (and these fellas were English speakers) warning you to stay on the boardwalks. Everything else aside, Yellowstone is a frickin' volcano f'cryin' out loud! The same year a fella left the boardwalk and broke through the crust into a spring that literally melted him! Dissolved! To nothing. Acidic. Not even bones, dude. So there's that.

But in the case of the Hot Springs it's not only the danger to the scofflaws themselves, there's the matter of the travertine, a rock that forms infinitely slowly like stalactites and stalagmites in caves (and people break those off too, plus they are sensitive to the acids on your skin). Travertine is soft and incredibly sensitive to damage and will take hundreds or thousands of years to restore itself. It's only about 3 on the Mohs scale. You can scratch it with a nail file.

Years ago we were up on Pike's Peak in Colorado on the cog train. The tour guide aboard pointed out clear, deep wagon wheel ruts in the alpine tundra that were made 150 and more years ago yet are as fresh as the day they were made. There is little erosion to wear them down. They will be visible for hundreds more years. The people whose wagons made the tracks didn't know any better, but we do.

How many people have fallen to their deaths over Yosemite Falls trying to get a picture (I've watched them do it, not die, but I'd rather not see that anyway). Yosemite averages about 16 fatalities a year, abut half from falls, most in the back country, but almost every year one or more people go over one of the falls. The rocks are highly polished plus wet, kind of a well duh situation, but people ignore the warnings and go out to the edge anyway. Some just slip and fall in the river and are swept over. Rangers at Grand Canyon record 2 or 3 fatal falls yearly. Some of them may be photographers trying to get that very special angle when the rim crumbles. Daphne knew me well (I am risk averse but...). We were at Bryce and she fussed at me to "BE CAREFUL." So there's a pitcher I never told her how I got but yeah, I was maybe a leeeedle bit edgy-close (there is no barrier where I stood), but not illegally so. Honest!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:24 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 pm
How many people have fallen to their deaths over Yosemite Falls trying to get a picture (I've watched them do it, not die, but I'd rather not see that anyway). Yosemite averages about 16 fatalities a year, abut half from falls, most in the back country, but almost every year one or more people go over one of the falls. The rocks are highly polished plus wet, kind of a well duh situation, but people ignore the warnings and go out to the edge anyway. Some just slip and fall in the river and are swept over. Rangers at Grand Canyon record 2 or 3 fatal falls yearly. Some of them may be photographers trying to get that very special angle when the rim crumbles. Daphne knew me well (I am risk averse but...). We were at Bryce and she fussed at me to "BE CAREFUL." So there's a pitcher I never told her how I got but yeah, I was maybe a leeeedle bit edgy-close (there is no barrier where I stood), but not illegally so. Honest!
My son and I were at Glacier Point when we saw a young woman skirting the barriers trying to get to the point. We told the Search and Rescue Team who immediately stopped her. 'She didn't see the barrier (she had to crawl over) and 'just' wanted a picture.' Talking to them after they said it isn't so much the people they worry about but the encouragement it gives kids and went on to talk about how many body parts they recover every year on the way down. We can photoshop that one thank you very much.

Your story is a cautionary tale and your image amazing. I'm glad you listened and are still here with us! S-

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 am

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 pm
Excellent and thoughtful article. I relate to her sentiments. I have sometimes broken the rules, but I make a judgement each time about safety of me and those with me, and of the environment. And i try to confine my rulebreaking to the Do No Harm kind.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones