"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

Photography DiscussionThe Ethics of Landscape Photography - Article for Discussion

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: The Ethics of Landscape Photography - Article for Discussion

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:02 am

St3v3M wrote:Something like this versus this? S-

Um, yeah, something... But I notice, rather suddenly now, in the second shot (over the dais), if you look down the mall as far as the monument, the crowd appears to be just exactly as dense as advertised. Hmmmmmm... Now I find myself seriously wondering: is one faked? And if so, which? :?
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:07 am

Off Topic
An interesting story about the Beatles Abbey Road album cover. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:09 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Um, yeah, something... But I notice, rather suddenly now, in the second shot (over the dais), if you look down the mall as far as the monument, the crowd appears to be just exactly as dense as advertised. Hmmmmmm... Now I find myself seriously wondering: is one faked? And if so, which? :?

It's all about the composition. S-

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:59 am

St3v3M wrote:It's all about the composition. S-

Two different time stamps would also give you two different stories. Crowds just coming in would "look" like an empty mall. If you look at the far end (Capital building), the area where all the "in"dignitaries stand at time of inauguration looks fairly empty, as if no one has arrived yet.

Eh, it's all "fake news"!
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Although not landscape, I came across this today and thought it interesting, especially about bird feeders. S-
- Is Baiting Wild Birds For Photography Ethical?

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:24 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:59 pm
Although not landscape, I came across this today and thought it interesting, especially about bird feeders. S-
I started thinking about the difference between backyard bird feeders and baiting raptors or other birds in the wild after witnessing a local photographer tossing fish into the Yakima River at the bald eagle nest I had been shooting for four years. He positioned himself to get shots of the eagles as they "caught" the fish.

Someone mentioned it's illegal to feed bald eagles in WA but I haven't researched that. They hang around fishermen in large numbers on the west side of the state and I can't imagine that snacks aren't regularly tossed their way :)

I did photograph, and post online for others to enjoy, a few shots of the bald eagles bringing the "bait" to their nest for the youngsters. I know I revealed the situation the first time but perhaps didn't after I got used to seeing, or after someone pointed out the backyard bird feeder similarity.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:29 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:24 pm
I started thinking about the difference between backyard bird feeders and baiting raptors or other birds in the wild after witnessing a local photographer tossing fish into the Yakima River at the bald eagle nest I had been shooting for four years. He positioned himself to get shots of the eagles as they "caught" the fish.

Someone mentioned it's illegal to feed bald eagles in WA but I haven't researched that. They hang around fishermen in large numbers on the west side of the state and I can't imagine that snacks aren't regularly tossed their way :)

I did photograph, and post online for others to enjoy, a few shots of the bald eagles bringing the "bait" to their nest for the youngsters. I know I revealed the situation the first time but perhaps didn't after I got used to seeing, or after someone pointed out the backyard bird feeder similarity.
I think baiting and bird feeders are a separate thing, but it is an interesting argument. S-

- Compliance with Federal and State Fish & Wildlife Regulations
"The bald eagle was removed from the list of threatened and endangered species on August 8, 2007. The bald eagle is still protected under the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act (Eagle Act) and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. The Eagle Act makes it illegal to take (kill, wound, pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, capture, trap, collect, molest or disturb) bald or golden eagles. Disturb is defined in the Eagle Act as "to agitate or bother a bald or golden eagle to a degree that caused, or is likely to cause, based on the best scientific information available, 1) injury to an eagle, 2) a decrease in its productivity, by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior, or 3) nest abandonment, by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior." The Eagle Act prohibits unregulated take."

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 am

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:59 pm
I tend to agree with Cathy Seaver, the author of that post. She found it ultimately unethical and will no longer take pictures if she comes across it, although as a non-confrontational person (me too) she will not interfere. She cited the following:
  • Creates a dependency on humans for food
    Causes wild animals to lose their fear of humans
    Encourages birds to go into roadways and toward cars
    Prey may be fed that is not normally in the diet
    Possible introduction of pathogens, such as salmonella, and parasites to the population
    Inconsistent food source
I find myself agreeing with those points, but I've recently read some fairly belligerent op-eds that point out, at least partially correctly, that we yumans are animals too, and we occupy our niche(s) and interact with critters and so what. Well, for one thing, we are supposed to be good stewards, and I don't mean that biblically. We are supposedly equipped with slightly larger brains to think things through and perceive potential consequences. The two items I highlighted can be applied to bird feeders, not that I think bird feeders should be done away with, but it strikes me that if I put out a bird feeder I have an immediate responsibility to keep it filled and tended, free of fungus and pathogens, because its presence quickly becomes a necessity, especially in winter. "If you feed them they will come." The birds are adapted to the "normal" food supply. If my bird feeder becomes part of the normal supply I now assume a responsibility to the increased bird population I have engendered by the existence of my bird feeder. I've read posts from hummingbirders that say pretty firmly that once you start feeding hummingbirds you are now responsible for a hummingbird population that might not exist if you did not put out a feeder. (N) (Being congenitally lazy I will therefore feed no birds before their time.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 am
... I will therefore feed no birds before their time.)
You make a good point, one that should be listened to, but you are also too funny! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:00 am

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 am
Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 am
... I will therefore feed no birds before their time.)
You make a good point, one that should be listened to, but you are also too funny! S-
D'you know where that's from? Maybe you've heard it, but it was the tagline from a wine commercial years ago, don't recall which winery, but the line was, "We will sell no wine before its time." Uhmmm, oookay. :|