Photography DiscussionDangerous Situations to Get that Photo

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Dangerous Situations to Get that Photo

Post by St3v3M » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:59 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Well sure you don't tell your husbands! :S :o (I guess "whatever doesn't kill us...")

I think she wins! laf
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:59 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Well sure you don't tell your husbands! :S :o (I guess "whatever doesn't kill us...")

I think she wins! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:41 am

I love the stories so far and have plenty of 'I Should Be Dead' moments and even an 'I Saw The Light' story, but really only one with a camera that's memorable.

It was late was coming up the road from Devils Postpile and the light was so beautiful that as I approached a meadow I knew I wanted a shot. I parked, grabbed my camera with the wide angle lens and headed down the path to the right, the one with the really good light. I move pretty fast and was focused on the meadow I was approaching but as I rounded the corner my feet sort of stopped. There are two reason I seem to do this and it wasn't the good one, well maybe it was.

As I stood there on that wooded path, having just come out of the light and into the shadow it took me a minute to recognize there was an adult black bear standing maybe twenty feet in front of me. I think we both startled each other as it sort of looked at me the same way I looked at it, stunned and confused. I know the rules about bears and once I regained my senses I keep my stance, and slowly stepped back along the trail one step at a time so as not to fall, all the while saying 'Everything's Going To Be Okay, This Is Your Home And I'm Just A Guest Here, So This Is Your Trail, This Is Your Trail' in the calmest voice I could muster.

I don't remember if I was scared, mostly it was an 'I know I'm going to die so what do I do about it situation' and I tried to keep it as level as I could. I backed up, and as I stared at it the bear seemed to be as nervous as I was, not good when facing down a three-hundred-pound killing machine, but luckily for me, it headed uphill some twenty feet or more then decide what to do. Taking the high ground is almost always the best move which left me wondering what to do next. I guess the bear's nerves faltered as it lowered its head, made a grunting noise and sort of lunged forward. It wasn't enough to take the high position away and is known as a false charge, but none of that matters when it's you and a bear that can run thirty-five miles an hour and climb trees faster than you can repeat the last sentence.

I spoke in my calm voice, backed along the trail and eventually everything was okay. As I finally felt safe enough to turn away I saw several people staring at me like I was an alien that didn't know you were supposed to walk forward on a trail and of course, someone said 'Is Everything Okay?' Do I say there's a bear and watch the selfie crowd run toward Little Boo-Boo to get the best pic ever or do I say nothing and let it be? I chose the later until someone thought better of it and decided to investigate for themselves to which I said there's a three-hundred-pound black bear that just charged me so I wouldn't suggest pissing it off anymore.

With everyone retreating to the safety of their cars I went back and got the telephoto. Luck paid off and I saw the bear again crossing the meadow, but in deep shadow and I don't remember if I took a shot or not. I know I chased after it, taking a parallel trail and keeping my distance, but when I finally saw it again it looked scared like it just wanted to be left alone and not wanting to push my luck any further I thought that was a good idea. Looking back now I can't say I was in any real danger, and am blessed to have been so close to one of God's beautiful creatures, but I'll remember that day as long as I live! Thank you Little-Bear! S-

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:46 am

LindaShorey wrote:
davechinn wrote:...Afterwards, can you recall what was going through your mind as you were sliding/tumbling down?
Dave

I know I reflexively put my hands out in front of me but when I realized I was going to do a somersault, I just closed my eyes. I remember hearing the bump (camera or my shoulder hitting the log) and I let out an OOF. Once I was not moving any more, I opend my eyes :D

Minnie's and Chuck's stories are the stuff of nightmares!

I'm sure while all of this was happening, it was over in a matter of seconds. Thanks again for sharing one of your stories.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:51 am

St3v3M wrote:I love the stories so far and have plenty of 'I Should Be Dead' moments and even an 'I Saw The Light' story, but really only one with a camera that's memorable.

It was late was coming up the road from Devils Postpile and the light was so beautiful that as I approached a meadow I knew I wanted a shot. I parked, grabbed my camera with the wide angle lens and headed down the path to the right, the one with the really good light. I move pretty fast and was focused on the meadow I was approaching but as I rounded the corner my feet sort of stopped. There are two reason I seem to do this and it wasn't the good one, well maybe it was.

As I stood there on that wooded path, having just come out of the light and into the shadow it took me a minute to recognize there was an adult black bear standing maybe twenty feet in front of me. I think we both startled each other as it sort of looked at me the same way I looked at it, stunned and confused. I know the rules about bears and once I regained my senses I keep my stance, and slowly stepped back along the trail one step at a time so as not to fall, all the while saying 'Everything's Going To Be Okay, This Is Your Home And I'm Just A Guest Here, So This Is Your Trail, This Is Your Trail' in the calmest voice I could muster.

I don't remember if I was scared, mostly it was an 'I know I'm going to die so what do I do about it situation' and I tried to keep it as level as I could. I backed up, and as I stared at it the bear seemed to be as nervous as I was, not good when facing down a three-hundred-pound killing machine, but luckily for me, it headed uphill some twenty feet or more then decide what to do. Taking the high ground is almost always the best move which left me wondering what to do next. I guess the bear's nerves faltered as it lowered its head, made a grunting noise and sort of lunged forward. It wasn't enough to take the high position away and is known as a false charge, but none of that matters when it's you and a bear that can run thirty-five miles an hour and climb trees faster than you can repeat the last sentence.

I spoke in my calm voice, backed along the trail and eventually everything was okay. As I finally felt safe enough to turn away I saw several people staring at me like I was an alien that didn't know you were supposed to walk forward on a trail and of course, someone said 'Is Everything Okay?' Do I say there's a bear and watch the selfie crowd run toward Little Boo-Boo to get the best pic ever or do I say nothing and let it be? I chose the later until someone thought better of it and decided to investigate for themselves to which I said there's a three-hundred-pound black bear that just charged me so I wouldn't suggest pissing it off anymore.

With everyone retreating to the safety of their cars I went back and got the telephoto. Luck paid off and I saw the bear again crossing the meadow, but in deep shadow and I don't remember if I took a shot or not. I know I chased after it, taking a parallel trail and keeping my distance, but when I finally saw it again it looked scared like it just wanted to be left alone and not wanting to push my luck any further I thought that was a good idea. Looking back now I can't say I was in any real danger, and am blessed to have been so close to one of God's beautiful creatures, but I'll remember that day as long as I live! Thank you Little-Bear! S-

Oh my Steve !!! A dangerous situation to be in, but a fantastic story !!! Thanks for sharing. If I remember correctly, didn't you post a bear photo recently? If so, was that the same bear?
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:46 pm

davechinn wrote:Oh my Steve !!! A dangerous situation to be in, but a fantastic story !!! Thanks for sharing. If I remember correctly, didn't you post a bear photo recently? If so, was that the same bear?
Dave

I kind of laugh looking back on the situation, but it was quite the adventure at the time. And King Bear was a recent shot. I'll have to look for the other! S-

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:51 pm

St3v3M wrote:
davechinn wrote:Oh my Steve !!! A dangerous situation to be in, but a fantastic story !!! Thanks for sharing. If I remember correctly, didn't you post a bear photo recently? If so, was that the same bear?
Dave

I kind of laugh looking back on the situation, but it was quite the adventure at the time. And King Bear was a recent shot. I'll have to look for the other! S-

Yes, its always good that we can laugh at ourselves, but your incident was by accident of no fault of your own, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. where with me, (so far) its because of my own stupidity.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:16 am

davechinn wrote:Yes, its always good that we can laugh at ourselves, but your incident was by accident of no fault of your own, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. where with me, (so far) its because of my own stupidity.
Dave

Live And Learn! S-

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:06 pm

St3v3M wrote:I love the stories so far and have plenty of 'I Should Be Dead' moments and even an 'I Saw The Light' story, but really only one with a camera that's memorable.

.... Thank you Little-Bear! S-

I love the bear story! And of course it reminded me of one I wanted to tell. I didn't think of it as dangerous because I didn't have enough time to really be scared before the story ended (and on my four hour drive through the road-from-hell left me way too much time to be worried).

My intrepid photo friend and I stopped at Peyto Lake along Icefield parkway in Alberta and while we were taking pictures of the beautiful lake a guy warned us he'd seen a bear along the lake with binoculars and had walked around the area but couldn't find him. We were excited of course. While my friend took a bathroom break, I opened the back door to dig in my camera bag for the long lens, in case we spotted the said bear. When my friend came out she was yelling at me (there was no one else there by then), making strange gestures. I kept saying "what's wrong, I can't understand you?' till I saw her point. I turned around and standing near enough to take a bite out of my butt was this nice bear with his mouth full of yellow flowers, like he was offering them to me. I realized he was probably smelling our picnic lunch so I hopped in the back seat and shut the door. He nosed around a bit then ambled down the road, where I took this picture. We followed him back to the main road. The last we saw him, he was eating more flowers beside the parkway, and a foreign couple was urging their small daughter to go stand next to him for a photo. (Not a good plan).
Attachments
bear (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:09 pm

minniev wrote:I love the bear story! And of course it reminded me of one I wanted to tell.... The last we saw him, he was eating more flowers beside the parkway, and a foreign couple was urging their small daughter to go stand next to him for a photo. (Not a good plan).

Wow, wow and more wow!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt