Photography DiscussionMore framing on a budget, and in a small space

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

More framing on a budget, and in a small space

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:19 pm

Pic is of an interior wall in my apartment (entry door, open, is on the left). A 50" loveseat and a 12-lb dog (who is wondering why I yanked her comfy afghan out from under her for this shot, lol) fit just right!

There are three mirrors and six picture frames on this wall - all purchased at thrift stores. I keep the arrangement as-is, including the matting, and just replace the photos periodically. This is an easy and economical way to display many prints, and it can be a lot of fun to do themes, such as the "critters and birds" you see.

If anyone would like to post tips or photos, please feel free!
Attachments
1smIMG_2990.jpg
1smIMG_2990.jpg (445.41 KiB) Viewed 692 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Very nice, Linda. The flexibility makes it fun. As you said, it can be a theme or just your most recent favorites. I particularly like the eclectic mix of frames. Trixie probably doesn't like it when you are changing pictures since it most likely disrupts her throne!

I have a similar set up but my frames are not as interesting as these. Still, it is fun to have a spot for your photos without having to sit down at the computer!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Carol W wrote:Very nice, Linda. The flexibility makes it fun. As you said, it can be a theme or just your most recent favorites. I particularly like the eclectic mix of frames. Trixie probably doesn't like it when you are changing pictures since it most likely disrupts her throne!

I have a similar set up but my frames are not as interesting as these. Still, it is fun to have a spot for your photos without having to sit down at the computer!

Hi Carol, good to see you checking out pM! My whole approach to life is kind of eclectic, so the frames reflect that, I guess :) I think a lot of people don't print much anymore, especially when you think of all the social media sites for sharing photos.

btw, I had a senior moment about the loveseat: it's only 50" wide.

Hope you enjoy what you see on this site and feel comfortable sharing your images or posting for critique. Thanks much!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Awesome post! I particularly like the organic flow to your arrangement, in particular how it navigates around your lamp. :lol:
P.S. The dog definitely makes the image. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:22 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Pic is of an interior wall in my apartment (entry door, open, is on the left). A 50" loveseat and a 12-lb dog (who is wondering why I yanked her comfy afghan out from under her for this shot, lol) fit just right!

There are three mirrors and six picture frames on this wall - all purchased at thrift stores. I keep the arrangement as-is, including the matting, and just replace the photos periodically. This is an easy and economical way to display many prints, and it can be a lot of fun to do themes, such as the "critters and birds" you see.

If anyone would like to post tips or photos, please feel free!

Linda, Love the mirror reflection of the lamp shade. Clever. Very cool. Very Renaissance. Thanks for opening the door to your home. Cozy. Always illuminating to see where/how folks live. Lovely light. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:33 pm

That's a really great idea, especially keeping the frames and rotating the pictures! I doubt I would ever have thought of that! If we ever get into semi-permanent digs I may at some distant point think about this. :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 pm

Duck wrote:Awesome post! I particularly like the organic flow to your arrangement, in particular how it navigates around your lamp. :lol:
P.S. The dog definitely makes the image. :thumbup:

Thank you so much, Duck! That lamp, though not the shade or the wiring, is 20 years old, and has traveled from Maryland to Maine to Washington state :)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, Love the mirror reflection of the lamp shade. Clever. Very cool. Very Renaissance. Thanks for opening the door to your home. Cozy. Always illuminating to see where/how folks live. Lovely light. Matt

Thanks for checking it out, Matt! I confess I didn't see the reflected lampshade; I was merely trying to keep myself out the mirrors - lol. But there could be some fun wintertime photo ops with that in mind. The light is from the south and southeast (awesome on the rare winter days Yakima sees the sun) and today we actually are having a bit of blue sky as a brief wind cleared the area's wildfire smoke for a day.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:That's a really great idea, especially keeping the frames and rotating the pictures! I doubt I would ever have thought of that! If we ever get into semi-permanent digs I may at some distant point think about this. :thanks:

Very glad you think might work for you, Chuck. Here is another small wall where I do the same thing. All black frames, though two are wood and the rest metal. btw, I had my seed grass/water tension shot reprinted a little lighter after taking this photo. I'm also thinking I might want to put both the grass and the avalanche lily pic somewhere else, and concentrate on winter photos - but that might just be because they are forecasting another week of 100+ starting Saturday...20 degrees above average for this time of year :(
Attachments
sm IMG_2986.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Another winning wall, Linda. Simple, uncluttered, inviting a view. I print very few of my photos now; I tried that the last few years and found that I had piles that no one wanted. So, now I do Blurb books; two copies, one for our summer home, one for our winter one. The children and grands often snuggle on the couch for a restful browse through one or more, so I feel I have made the right choice. No one will ever want my Lightroom files when I go, hopefully, to that high def theater in the sky. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin