Photography DiscussionMore framing on a budget, and in a small space

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: More framing on a budget, and in a small space

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Another winning wall, Linda. Simple, uncluttered, inviting a view. I print very few of my photos now; I tried that the last few years and found that I had piles that no one wanted. So, now I do Blurb books; two copies, one for our summer home, one for our winter one. The children and grands often snuggle on the couch for a restful browse through one or more, so I feel I have made the right choice. No one will ever want my Lightroom files when I go, hopefully, to that high def theater in the sky. Matt

How wonderful your progeny enjoy and appreciate your work! A book is a fantastic idea. If you want to provide more info in this thread it would be much appreciated.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:49 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:That's a really great idea, especially keeping the frames and rotating the pictures! I doubt I would ever have thought of that! If we ever get into semi-permanent digs I may at some distant point think about this. :thanks:

Very glad you think might work for you, Chuck. Here is another small wall where I do the same thing. All black frames, though two are wood and the rest metal. btw, I had my seed grass/water tension shot reprinted a little lighter after taking this photo. I'm also thinking I might want to put both the grass and the avalanche lily pic somewhere else, and concentrate on winter photos - but that might just be because they are forecasting another week of 100+ starting Saturday...20 degrees above average for this time of year :(

In our loft, I have 6 of my b&ws,three on the wall from about 15 years ago of my wife walking the beach, and three on my cabinets from 2 years ago. I took these with my iPhone at night so I don't have the lovely light you have in yours.There is glass on the photos on the wall but I don't like the glare from the lights, so I don't have glass on the photos on the cabinet. Let them fade; I probably will before they do. Matt
Loft photos 2 (1 of 2).jpg
Loft photos 2 (2 of 2).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:In our loft, I have 6 of my b&ws,three on the wall from about 15 years ago of my wife walking the beach, and three on my cabinets from 2 years ago. I took these with my iPhone at night so I don't have the lovely light you have in yours.There is glass on the photos on the wall but I don't like the glare from the lights, so I don't have glass on the photos on the cabinet. Let them fade; I probably will before they do.

Thanks for posting these, Matt! Interesting about the glass; I can't recall if I've ever tried, but in a grouping all the same way sounds good. Ayuh, we are all closer to fading than we are to going shiny bright :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by ErichBrunner » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Pic is of an interior wall in my apartment (entry door, open, is on the left). A 50" loveseat and a 12-lb dog (who is wondering why I yanked her comfy afghan out from under her for this shot, lol) fit just right!

There are three mirrors and six picture frames on this wall - all purchased at thrift stores. I keep the arrangement as-is, including the matting, and just replace the photos periodically. This is an easy and economical way to display many prints, and it can be a lot of fun to do themes, such as the "critters and birds" you see.

If anyone would like to post tips or photos, please feel free!

I think it is a really good way to show off your work. I also think the mirrors are a great idea because they reflect things in the room and actually become images themselves. I find that very interesting.
erich

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 am

LindaShorey wrote:Pic is of an interior wall in my apartment (entry door, open, is on the left). A 50" loveseat and a 12-lb dog (who is wondering why I yanked her comfy afghan out from under her for this shot, lol) fit just right!

There are three mirrors and six picture frames on this wall - all purchased at thrift stores. I keep the arrangement as-is, including the matting, and just replace the photos periodically. This is an easy and economical way to display many prints, and it can be a lot of fun to do themes, such as the "critters and birds" you see.

If anyone would like to post tips or photos, please feel free!

The photos and the display arrangement gives off a homey feel Linda. I like the idea of changing out the photos while using the same frames, but I would have difficulty changing out some of the images. Excellent !!!
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Erich and Dave, thanks so much for your interest and comments. My first apartment in this complex was a little darker and I had more mirrors than pics. Learned the trick on HGTV's "Small Space Big Style" I think.

Since I hadn't printed any photos at all for over a year, it was pretty easy to replace the ones up there...though I had to keep the little square close-up of Trixie :) Many of the photos I printed the past two weeks are heavily treated with textures and I was thrilled with the results. I had no idea how the edits would look in "real life."

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:48 am

Eclectic frames are the way to go and I can't wait to see what you did with that window frame!

Thank you for opening your home to us and for adding this for all to see! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"