"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

General Photography DiscussionHow would you fill this old window frame?

Open general discussion on photography related topics and news.
This is not a photo sharing or critique forum. All photo sharing and critique requests should be posted in the appropriate Member's Gallery or Critic's Corner.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

How would you fill this old window frame?

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 pm

This one was only $4.00 (four!) at the Habitat Store. The center is 15" and I briefly had a 12x12 photo, matted, within it. Didn't like how it looked. Google "old windows as picture frames" and there are a lot of fun results, but mostly for windows whose panes are all the same size. Anyone have any brilliant ideas - with or without the flamingo? :D
Attachments
P1030904.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: How would you fill this old window frame?

Postby minniev » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:14 pm

That's a really cool window and will make a great frame for ...something!

I'd probably try an image that took up the whole space without a matte, something that has a strong subject that fits well in the central pane but very little around the edges that could get entangled with that unique design. I'd probably make a template in PS (would work in elements too) that had lines in the basic proportions of this thing, and overlay it on an image to see how it'd look. I've done that with other window frames to predict how it'll turn out, it really matters where in the image those wooden pieces are gonna end up and it is best to know up front.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 pm

I think Min's template idea is very good! Definitely could avoid some grief if you can print to the frame. You could also have something dominant in the 15" center, then supporting pictures in the other lights. I did Google windows as frames and was mildly surprised to see very few scenics. My take is that we see scenes out of windows, therefore a window used as a frame should frame a scenic, no? That's what I would probably think of first. For example, I could see a kind of a California medley with a redwood in each of the side lights, maybe a coastal panorama in each of the horizontal lights, tight flower closeups in the corners, at least one a California poppy...something on that order. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby PietFrancke » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:56 am

With something wonderful. If you are bored, the backside of a thug climbing through it!!!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 am

minniev wrote:That's a really cool window and will make a great frame for ...something!

I'd probably try an image that took up the whole space without a matte, something that has a strong subject that fits well in the central pane but very little around the edges that could get entangled with that unique design. I'd probably make a template in PS (would work in elements too) that had lines in the basic proportions of this thing, and overlay it on an image to see how it'd look. I've done that with other window frames to predict how it'll turn out, it really matters where in the image those wooden pieces are gonna end up and it is best to know up front.

The template is a super idea; thank you Minnie!

Charles Haacker wrote:I think Min's template idea is very good! Definitely could avoid some grief if you can print to the frame. You could also have something dominant in the 15" center, then supporting pictures in the other lights. I did Google windows as frames and was mildly surprised to see very few scenics. My take is that we see scenes out of windows, therefore a window used as a frame should frame a scenic, no? That's what I would probably think of first. For example, I could see a kind of a California medley with a redwood in each of the side lights, maybe a coastal panorama in each of the horizontal lights, tight flower closeups in the corners, at least one a California poppy...something on that order. :|

Thanks so much, Chuck. I realized the width is 23" - too much print a 20x30 poster and cut, so I'll need to do smaller prints. Composites and themes will have to be the way to go. Wildflowers of the northwest with Mt Rainier in the middle? :)

PietFrancke wrote:With something wonderful. If you are bored, the backside of a thug climbing through it!!!

Love it! Wonder if Trixie would bark every time she saw? :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Of course you could always go with two smaller window frames and one panoramic view...
Rainier.jpg
Rainier.jpg (193.87 KiB) Viewed 46 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

rmalarz
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby rmalarz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:08 am

Here's a quick "sketch" of my idea, Linda. And...you'd have a wonderful view of Mt. Adams all the time.
--Bob
LindaShorey wrote:This one was only $4.00 (four!) at the Habitat Store. The center is 15" and I briefly had a 12x12 photo, matted, within it. Didn't like how it looked. Google "old windows as picture frames" and there are a lot of fun results, but mostly for windows whose panes are all the same size. Anyone have any brilliant ideas - with or without the flamingo? :D
Attachments
P1030904-RW-RSM.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:08 am

Duck wrote:Of course you could always go with two smaller window frames and one panoramic view...
Rainier.jpg

Neat-o!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:09 am

rmalarz wrote:Here's a quick "sketch" of my idea, Linda. And...you'd have a wonderful view of Mt. Adams all the time.
--Bob

Now, how cool is that?! Thanks so much for your time, Bob.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
rmalarz wrote:Here's a quick "sketch" of my idea, Linda. And...you'd have a wonderful view of Mt. Adams all the time.
--Bob

Now, how cool is that?! Thanks so much for your time, Bob.

That's great! I think Bob's nailed it! The big challenge is getting the print that big. ($$) :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “General Photography Discussion”