"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

General Photography DiscussionFraming on a budget

Open general discussion on photography related topics and news.
This is not a photo sharing or critique forum. All photo sharing and critique requests should be posted in the appropriate Member's Gallery or Critic's Corner.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Framing on a budget

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm

I used to roam the thrift stores and Habit for Humanity's used building materials store for cheap or just different kinds of frames, such as those made from old windows. The below window frame was actually from an "antique" store, which automatically made the cost higher - lol, but the inside dimensions fit a 20x30 poster nearly perfectly (the poster shown is my own photo, a heavily Topaz'd foggy autumn scene). The glass was missing from top half, making it lighter weight.

Another idea I had was to use certain types of ceiling molding, upside down, and fastened to wall with L brackets. This created a very narrow shelf with groove that was great for temporary display of matted 5x7 photos.

If you have suggestions for inexpensive and/or unique framing, please share!
Attachments
adj.jpg
adj.jpg (438.21 KiB) Viewed 57 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Framing on a budget

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Fun stuff Linda. I'm not going hunt for those window frames.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm

That is COOL! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby PietFrancke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm

super cool - nicely filled wonderful character splash of texture and color.

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing the story and passing along the tips.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks all! I'm going to start a new topic with a new window, looking for your ideas!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby minniev » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:04 am

I use window frames too. I have two in my house, have sold several, and given a couple away. All were fairly straightforward 3-over-3's. Right now I have about 10 of them that will be halved, so the yield will be 20. Half of them will be single big panes of glass and the other half will have three vertical frames in them. I'll be using them for dam birds and other of my images that will be hung up and down the 3 long halls that run from front to back door of my under-reconstruction house.

Another thing I'll be using since I found 3 of them at the house- old serving trays with glass on them. They had fabric at one time but it is rotted away, and I mean to convert them to frames. I want to learn how to put together frames out of old wood, since I have an endless supply of all kinds - barnwood, flooring, beadboard. I have lots of raw materials that look promising, and I don't have to go anywhere past my shed to find them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 am

minniev wrote:I use window frames too. I have two in my house, have sold several, and given a couple away. All were fairly straightforward 3-over-3's. Right now I have about 10 of them that will be halved, so the yield will be 20. Half of them will be single big panes of glass and the other half will have three vertical frames in them. I'll be using them for dam birds and other of my images that will be hung up and down the 3 long halls that run from front to back door of my under-reconstruction house.

Another thing I'll be using since I found 3 of them at the house- old serving trays with glass on them. They had fabric at one time but it is rotted away, and I mean to convert them to frames. I want to learn how to put together frames out of old wood, since I have an endless supply of all kinds - barnwood, flooring, beadboard. I have lots of raw materials that look promising, and I don't have to go anywhere past my shed to find them.

Your old house must have offered so many wonderful treasures, Minnie! Thank you for all your suggestions and descriptions of your own solutions.

minniev
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:42 am

To add a couple of other ideas that have come my way since I started trying to prepare for the gallery exhibit: (1) obtaining blocks of gypsum from a building supply company, and carving out a space that would hold two panes of glass with a photo pressed between (2) printing poster size, laminating, and hanging in one of several ways using alligator clips, clothespins, trowels and clothesline (this is a method used for shows in some galleries in Europe). I have specific plans outlining both of these but did not have the skill or time to pursue DIY methods for my show, I would have needed a couple of months just to figure it out.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 am

minniev wrote:To add a couple of other ideas that have come my way since I started trying to prepare for the gallery exhibit: (1) obtaining blocks of gypsum from a building supply company, and carving out a space that would hold two panes of glass with a photo pressed between (2) printing poster size, laminating, and hanging in one of several ways using alligator clips, clothespins, trowels and clothesline (this is a method used for shows in some galleries in Europe). I have specific plans outlining both of these but did not have the skill or time to pursue DIY methods for my show, I would have needed a couple of months just to figure it out.

Thanks so much for the additional ideas!

Return to “General Photography Discussion”