“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

Photography DiscussionUnusual camera issues and solutions

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Unusual camera issues and solutions

Post by Duck » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:43 pm

This thread is for anyone to post unusual camera issues that occasionally crop up. They can be either common or uncommon problems.
To contribute please give a good description of the issue and any possible solution to the problem.

Here are two issues other photographers have made me aware of.

[heading]Lens won't mount[/heading]
Bayonet mount lenses are common on many camera brands. A simple align and twist with that confirmation click seats the lens. But what if you can't get to that click?

If you are having issues mounting a bayonet style lens onto your camera body take a look at the bayonet ring on the lens. There are tiny little screws just under the lip. On occasion these screws can start backing out causing the lens to not seat properly. As I understand on some lenses one of these screws may stick out on purpose as a stop when properly seating the lens. In this case make sure the screw isn't backing out but also don't force it trying to seat it flush.

In the past I have used the tiniest dab of clear nail polish as a form of locktite to keep screws in place. Stress on the tiniest amount. I literally touch the tip of the screw to the nail polish just before reinsertion.

[heading]Battery won't come out[/heading]
This phenomenon occurs with older batteries where you go to replace the battery but it won't come out, seeming to be stuck in the camera.

Apparently one known issue with older batteries is expansion. We've all heard the horror stories of exploding batteries. This occurs when the gel inside the battery cells begin to expand from degeneration. Since the housing is plastic, the cell will expand to the point that it compresses against the inside of the battery compartment making extraction difficult. While I don't have an easy solution I do have a warning. Be careful with using extraction tools within your camera's battery compartment. You don't want to cause more damage than needed. Batteries contain a caustic acid. I shouldn't have to warn how much damage that can do to the interior of a camera or your skin. If you experience this do not try to salvage the battery, replace it immediately. Dispose of the old battery properly.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:21 am

This is a wonderful post. Thank you for starting this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Filter Stuck On Lens

I've been through this one several times, either from a mis-threaded filter or an errant grain of sand/dirt stuck in the threads. There is a filter wrench for such things if you choose to buy one, and your local camera shop is there if safe home measures fail. My best home remedy was one of those rubber gripper squares you use to open jars. A wide rubber band if tight enough can also work. Some moderate degree of forced turning is required.

I was advised to use peanut butter, and to put the lens in the freezer, but I opted out of those solutions as they sounded way too scary.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:06 pm

minniev wrote:Filter Stuck On Lens

I've been through this one several times, either from a mis-threaded filter or an errant grain of sand/dirt stuck in the threads. There is a filter wrench for such things if you choose to buy one, and your local camera shop is there if safe home measures fail. My best home remedy was one of those rubber gripper squares you use to open jars. A wide rubber band if tight enough can also work. Some moderate degree of forced turning is required.

I was advised to use peanut butter, and to put the lens in the freezer, but I opted out of those solutions as they sounded way too scary.

Adam Savage Removes Camera Lens Filter with Band Saw!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:46 pm

The old cross-threaded-filter problem is literally double-trouble if the stuck filter is a circular polarizer, since the thing is 2-piece and the filter part glides around on the threaded part, but the threaded part is the part that's stuck. I have not used this particular hack but it's one to bear in mind: keep a foot or so of leather bootlace in your bag. Wrap it around the lower, threaded part of the stuck CP (on most CP's that part is also knurled for grip), twist the ends of the bootlace to tighten plus use the twisted ends as a handle to gently back the filter off. This should work with any stuck filter that hasn't been really badly jammed, but it's especially useful with CP filters because of the 2-piece challenge.

If you've never heard this, when you are mounting any filter, place it on the lens with very slight downward pressure and rotate it backwards until you hear and/or feel a tiny 'click.' The click tells you that the threads are precisely aligned and the filter should go on smoothly without cross-threading. This trick works with pretty much any screw, as say a machine screw you removed when taking something apart. When reassembling, place the screw but back it while applying slight pressure until you hear/feel the click, then turn it home. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:If you've never heard this, when you are mounting any filter, place it on the lens with very slight downward pressure and rotate it backwards until you hear and/or feel a tiny 'click.' The click tells you that the threads are precisely aligned and the filter should go on smoothly without cross-threading. This trick works with pretty much any screw, as say a machine screw you removed when taking something apart. When reassembling, place the screw but back it while applying slight pressure until you hear/feel the click, then turn it home. :|

Great advice, thank you! S-

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Some good stuff here Thx for posting..
ed
ed davis