Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Photography DiscussionIt's OFFICIAL GOOGLE is not going to support NIK any longer

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

It's OFFICIAL GOOGLE is not going to support NIK any longer

Post by Didereaux » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:46 pm

as reported in DPReview Googl is dropping all development(was there ever any?) and support of the NIK collection.
GOOGLE drops NIK

DL the full NIK collection
Download full collection
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Time marches on. I confess I got the collection when it went freebie and (because I didn't pay thru the nose) have hardly used it and mostly don't know how. I imagine the lack of support will only become an issue over time. I know many here use it and love it. I should experiment more with it. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:21 pm

IF you use NIK then you need to understand that it can be unusable with the next operating update, but no ones knows. This article ccovers all that, but more importantly it provides some practical workarounds fro serious photographers who use this collection.
Good article on NIK work-arounds.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:21 pm

They are a great set of tools and I have used some of them in the past. It is a shame that Google is dropping the ball on this in favor of Snapseed (which I know nothing about). Ah, the power of the conglomerates to kill a project.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:58 pm

It bothers me that Google simply used it, absorbed it and cast it aside without any thought to the countless photographers who depend on it as an essential part of their workflow.

But my being bothered matters not one iota to Google of course. And everyone figured this would happen when they got it.

I've found substitutes for most of what I rely on in NIK, switched my monochrome processing to Tonality, noise removal in Noiseless (it's a lot harder to control though), learned to do more of what I want in PS, but there's still a gap in a few things that I haven't transitioned over, mostly things that live in Color Efex. I'll use NIK as long as it lasts but the most recent update of CC caused several of the NIK plugins to lose their minds. I was pleased that Adobe found a repair for it, but they warn on their support site that they cannot reverse-patch NIK forever if it isn't upgraded on the other end. Understandable, but...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:33 pm

The solution I am using and have for a couple of years is this. I have an older Win7 laptop that I use for tethering mostly, but it has just enough power/mem to handle CC5/6 & LR6 so when NIK finally gets killed off I will still have it and all the non cloud BS on a usable computer. I simply swap one of the USB 1T drives with pictures back and forth. No big deal. Older laptops with 4-8G mem are less than $200 buy a spare battery and store it...you are good to go. And like I said you can then use it also in field AND that is a big plus!

I should have added that I now have PSElements 15 and LR6.8 on my main computer I rarely have any need for the graphics abilities of PS anymore.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Didereaux wrote:The solution I am using and have for a couple of years is this. I have an older Win7 laptop that I use for tethering mostly, but it has just enough power/mem to handle CC5/6 & LR6 so when NIK finally gets killed off I will still have it and all the non cloud BS on a usable computer. I simply swap one of the USB 1T drives with pictures back and forth. No big deal. Older laptops with 4-8G mem are less than $200 buy a spare battery and store it...you are good to go. And like I said you can then use it also in field AND that is a big plus!

NIK is one of the main reasons I quit updating the OS on my laptop (which is old anyway, and mostly for travel-duty). I will probably quit updating CC on it as well. We'll see how long it lasts. I really like having everything accessible and easy to use on my "good" computer with its nice big monitor, without a lot of fiddling. Maybe I'll find something that will do for what I want. Aurora comes close, maybe with the next iteration I can duplicate what I like about NIK Color Efex.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Didereaux wrote:as reported in DPReview Googl is dropping all development(was there ever any?) and support of the NIK collection.

I'm installing it now. Thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Time marches on. I confess I got the collection when it went freebie and (because I didn't pay thru the nose) have hardly used it and mostly don't know how. I imagine the lack of support will only become an issue over time. I know many here use it and love it. I should experiment more with it. :|

This may help the both of us! Welcome to the Nik Collection by Google Help Center

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Duck wrote:They are a great set of tools and I have used some of them in the past. It is a shame that Google is dropping the ball on this in favor of Snapseed (which I know nothing about). Ah, the power of the conglomerates to kill a project.

Snapseed is a mobile photo editing software app
Welcome to the Snapseed Help Center