Page 1 of 2

Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 pm
by Didereaux
There are zillions of videos on Youtube, Vimeo etc with photography as the subject, Some a good, most hohum, but a few, very few, are extraordinary. This is one. If you want to expand your understanding of the art-photography universe this is a must watch. Give it a shot. take the time to watch it in its entirety. Not just talk, dozens of images of famous photographers are examined and explained, and how to view them. It is excellent, period!

Bridging the Gap: Classical Art Designed for Photographers

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:55 am
by Duck
I watched this when it was first posted by B&H. As an artist and illustrator I really connected with a lot of what Adam Marelli describes in the video. He puts into language a lot of the lessons I learned in art. However, they are also lessons that I find difficult to keep in mind out in the field, mostly because I tend to rush myself. As I progress in my photographic pursuits I find myself being conscious to slow myself down to avoid making rookie mistakes.

On a side note, I made a similar observations between classical art and photography in an article on my blog site and the use of using a three tone guide for composition in another article. Both can be found here in the tutorial section;

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:22 am
by minniev
Both of you:

What great resources! Thanks so much-

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:30 am
by Didereaux
Duck wrote:I watched this when it was first posted by B&H. As an artist and illustrator I really connected with a lot of what Adam Marelli describes in the video. He puts into language a lot of the lessons I learned in art. However, they are also lessons that I find difficult to keep in mind out in the field, mostly because I tend to rush myself. As I progress in my photographic pursuits I find myself being conscious to slow myself down to avoid making rookie mistakes.

On a side note, I made a similar observations between classical art and photography in an article on my blog site and the use of using a three tone guide for composition in another article. Both can be found here in the tutorial section;



Liked those two articles so much that when I first read them I converted them to pdf files and they are in my permanent photography reference library! Really well done articles.

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:01 pm
by Duck
Didereaux wrote:...Liked those two articles so much that when I first read them I converted them to pdf files and they are in my permanent photography reference library! Really well done articles.

I am glad they were of use. I'm honored by the keepsake. I've always wanted to do a lecture with my photo group inside an art gallery discussing the similarities between a great painting and a great photograph and how classic conventions apply to both. It's just scheduling such an event can be difficult. Some day...

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:37 am
by St3v3M
So much to learn, so much fun doing it! S-

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:19 pm
by JLemmon
Didereaux wrote:There are zillions of videos on Youtube, Vimeo etc with photography as the subject, Some a good, most hohum, but a few, very few, are extraordinary. This is one. If you want to expand your understanding of the art-photography universe this is a must watch. Give it a shot. take the time to watch it in its entirety. Not just talk, dozens of images of famous photographers are examined and explained, and how to view them. It is excellent, period!

Bridging the Gap: Classical Art Designed for Photographers


So I JUST discovered Vimeo. Do you by chance know how to make those? I am updating my website and want to include a few of my images with effects such as haze rolling over a pond. I prefer to create them, rather than purchase someone else's work for my website. Just curious :)

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:18 pm
by Duck
JLemmon wrote:So I JUST discovered Vimeo. Do you by chance know how to make those? I am updating my website ...

Vimeo is a video hosting site, much like YouTube is. If you are looking to create videos for yourself, there are plenty of free software for video editing (of various levels) but realize that video production is a whole different skill set than still imagery. What, in particular, are you looking to do?

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:52 am
by JLemmon
Duck wrote:
JLemmon wrote:So I JUST discovered Vimeo. Do you by chance know how to make those? I am updating my website ...

Vimeo is a video hosting site, much like YouTube is. If you are looking to create videos for yourself, there are plenty of free software for video editing (of various levels) but realize that video production is a whole different skill set than still imagery. What, in particular, are you looking to do?


So they are actual videos and not an image with a movement layer added? My creative side went a little haywire thinking it was the later and needed to at least see how its done lol.

I am working on updating my website and this is an image provided as a place holder.. I found the link and it took me to this video https://vimeo.com/223364142/ecfbe63c23

What is your personal opinions on using someone else's work like this as a banner on your page? Obviously give credit where credit is due, I just don't want people to assume it is my work. That is why I'd rather make my own but it more than likely will not happen. I also envision using my mother in front of their fireplace reading with her feet propped up towards the fire and the flame moving. ... I have many more ideas but who has time for those ;)


Edit: I just realized the author of that image is Squarespace, if that makes a difference in using it or not.

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:00 pm
by Duck
JLemmon wrote:So they are actual videos and not an image with a movement layer added? My creative side went a little haywire thinking it was the later and needed to at least see how its done lol.

I am working on updating my website and this is an image provided as a place holder.. I found the link and it took me to this video https://vimeo.com/223364142/ecfbe63c23


Photos with movement are referred to as cinemagraphs and are usually created with a short video clip that is looped on itself. What differentiates a cinema graph from a video loop is the format. A cinemagraph is just a fancy, high grade animated GIF. The link you reference is a short video clip that can be looped. Because it is a video, it requires special encoding software to display it while a GIF does not. Just realize that a large cinemagraph is resource intensive. The clip you link to is owned by Square space and is probably used as a video loop somewhere in their website. To be able to use a video clip in a header you would need the appropriate plug in.

JLemmon wrote:What is your personal opinions on using someone else's work like this as a banner on your page? Obviously give credit where credit is due, I just don't want people to assume it is my work. That is why I'd rather make my own but it more than likely will not happen. I also envision using my mother in front of their fireplace reading with her feet propped up towards the fire and the flame moving. ... I have many more ideas but who has time for those ;)

Edit: I just realized the author of that image is Squarespace, if that makes a difference in using it or not.


Creative content (photos, video, music, paintings, text) are all subject to copyright and it is illegal to use such content without the creator's permission. If a particular content is available, through licensing, to be used you would need to secure that license. You can't just cut and paste it off the internet. That is called stealing and any content creator (you) caught stealing will get a bad rep.

If you are looking to get into photography (and /or videography) and you are looking to promote your abilities then don't use someone else's content, licensed or otherwise. You will be misrepresenting yourself and people hate being lied to, even unintentionally. All images on your website need to be yours, including photographic headers, banners and such.

Think of it this way. You're browsing your competition online and you come across a wedding photographer claiming to be the area's best wedding photographer and on his website is a photo you took. How does that make you feel? What is your opinion of that photographer?