General Photography DiscussionHas to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Open general discussion on photography related topics and news.
This is not a photo sharing or critique forum. All photo sharing and critique requests should be posted in the appropriate Member's Gallery or Critic's Corner.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Postby Didereaux » Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 pm

There are zillions of videos on Youtube, Vimeo etc with photography as the subject, Some a good, most hohum, but a few, very few, are extraordinary. This is one. If you want to expand your understanding of the art-photography universe this is a must watch. Give it a shot. take the time to watch it in its entirety. Not just talk, dozens of images of famous photographers are examined and explained, and how to view them. It is excellent, period!

Bridging the Gap: Classical Art Designed for Photographers
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Has to be in the TOP 10 of photography vids

Postby Duck » Sat May 20, 2017 1:55 am

I watched this when it was first posted by B&H. As an artist and illustrator I really connected with a lot of what Adam Marelli describes in the video. He puts into language a lot of the lessons I learned in art. However, they are also lessons that I find difficult to keep in mind out in the field, mostly because I tend to rush myself. As I progress in my photographic pursuits I find myself being conscious to slow myself down to avoid making rookie mistakes.

On a side note, I made a similar observations between classical art and photography in an article on my blog site and the use of using a three tone guide for composition in another article. Both can be found here in the tutorial section;
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby minniev » Sat May 20, 2017 3:22 am

Both of you:

What great resources! Thanks so much-
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sat May 20, 2017 10:30 am

Duck wrote:I watched this when it was first posted by B&H. As an artist and illustrator I really connected with a lot of what Adam Marelli describes in the video. He puts into language a lot of the lessons I learned in art. However, they are also lessons that I find difficult to keep in mind out in the field, mostly because I tend to rush myself. As I progress in my photographic pursuits I find myself being conscious to slow myself down to avoid making rookie mistakes.

On a side note, I made a similar observations between classical art and photography in an article on my blog site and the use of using a three tone guide for composition in another article. Both can be found here in the tutorial section;

Liked those two articles so much that when I first read them I converted them to pdf files and they are in my permanent photography reference library! Really well done articles.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Sat May 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Didereaux wrote:...Liked those two articles so much that when I first read them I converted them to pdf files and they are in my permanent photography reference library! Really well done articles.

I am glad they were of use. I'm honored by the keepsake. I've always wanted to do a lecture with my photo group inside an art gallery discussing the similarities between a great painting and a great photograph and how classic conventions apply to both. It's just scheduling such an event can be difficult. Some day...
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby St3v3M » Sun May 21, 2017 5:37 am

So much to learn, so much fun doing it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “General Photography Discussion”