"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

Photography DiscussionOn a budget, but want to get a really good quality lens?

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

On a budget, but want to get a really good quality lens?

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Almost (but not quite) completely overlooked by todays' new 'photography' buffs when they buy a fancy camera they get a kit lens on it it. They are generally okay, but far far from great. They find out after the fact that good glass costs....really costs! Well, here is a way you can get a couple of really top quality prime lens for around $200 and they will match almost all there newer $1K replacements. SO what do they lack? Auto Focus and auto aperture. So what? these older lens work just fine on the very latest cameras, including the metering systems, whis is all you really need anyhow.

The nitty-gritty. Way back n the late '50s early 60's Nikon literally took on the Germans and there camera lens monopoly. Nikon was smart enough to focus on one poertion of the industry...the 35mm. They designed and produced for the next 30-40 years some of the finest 35mm cameras, and lens's ever produced. The lens' btw were produced under the name Nikkor, and sometimes Nikon/Nikkor. SO which ones do you look for ? Any of the prime lens (a prime lens does not zoom) they produced them from almost ultra wide-angle to super telescopic.

For less than $200 you can find used Nikon/Nikkor 24mm F2.8, and a F4 200mm non-AI(don't worry about that designation) on eBAy, BH Camera, Adorama, KEH even Amazon. They will work on almost ANY modern camera with the proper adapter plate. The adapter plate is the critical component...you must get a good one. Fortunately the best is widely availabe for under $20 almost anywhere. Iti is by FotoDiox. DO NOT buy one of the cheapo Chinese knock-offs...they do not fit correctly ( I have several in the junk box).

Below is a couple of photos I took today using a Nikkor F2.8 24mm , and a Canon EF-s F2.8 24mm. The Nikkor wins. These are 100% SOOC with lens correction applied. Taken with Canon 7Dmkii F8 200ISO ~ 1/200
*NOTE later I will try and post a similar comparison using a Nikkor F4 200mm prime (hint it is a great lens for backyard birding or medium range large wildlife. Great quality.

1. Close up with Nikkor (notice the color saturation with this lens)
SOOC nikkor 28 24mm 2.jpg

2. Closeup with Canon
SOOC Canon EF-S  2pt8 24mm 1.jpg

3. Wide angle with the Nikkor
SOOC nikkor 28 24mm.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Steven G Webb » Mon May 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Amen, and amen: I was given a Dine 105 mm macro lens. This particular lens was originally marketed to dentists and orthodontists as a dental photography lens. It even has reference markings on the barrel. No auto focus, no camera control of the aperture (There is an aperture ring) it is a completely manual lens that probably dates back to the 1980s. For all that it isn't it is a great macro lens. I do not pursue a high volume of closeup or macro photography so for my uses this is a fine piece of gear.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Steven G Webb wrote:Amen, and amen: I was given a Dine 105 mm macro lens. This particular lens was originally marketed to dentists and orthodontists as a dental photography lens. It even has reference markings on the barrel. No auto focus, no camera control of the aperture (There is an aperture ring) it is a completely manual lens that probably dates back to the 1980s. For all that it isn't it is a great macro lens. I do not pursue a high volume of closeup or macro photography so for my uses this is a fine piece of gear.

And I'm thinking built like a tank! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Steven G Webb » Mon May 15, 2017 10:39 pm

St3v3M wrote:And I'm thinking built like a tank! S-

Indeed, brass body. Just like cameras used to have.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Fascinating concept;
I have 2 Minoltas a SRT101 and XG2
One of the lenses is a Rokkor 1.2. Be nice to try that out again.
First two pictures: In your opinion. Which lens is closer to what your eyes were seeing re; color?
ed davis

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Thu May 18, 2017 5:36 pm

pop511 wrote:Fascinating concept;
I have 2 Minoltas a SRT101 and XG2
One of the lenses is a Rokkor 1.2. Be nice to try that out again.
First two pictures: In your opinion. Which lens is closer to what your eyes were seeing re; color?

No doubts whatsoever....the first one, most saturation. Even the wife mentioned that it looked almost as real as the real ones in the garden. Don't know what it is about that lens,but it is really good at nailing true colors! SO good that I am keeping it and an adapter in with our good Canon camera bodies, and will use it whenever it will fit the shot.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.