"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Photography DiscussionOnline workshop with Don Giannatti

Photography related discussions with a slant towards learning and understanding the art and craft of photography
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Online workshop with Don Giannatti

Postby Duck » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:25 am

I gave more thought to the upcoming second assignment (Vision Statement) and decided to reshoot it. Yep, the day before it's due and I'm back in the studio redoing the work.

I wasn't completely happy with how the first image came out. I also gave further thought to the statement itself and altered it. Here is the image, and statement, I submitted today.

Duck-Unitas-assign-02-1.jpg
Vision Statement

Let me know what your thoughts are. Here is the original so you don't have to scroll down.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:31 am

I like the reflection(s) on the new version better. I like the continuation across the top of the bulb rather than the broken line. I also like the revised message in the statement. I'm sure you'll Ace the assignment.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks Steven, I appreciate the comments.

I feel the first one was too soft on the focus too. That's another reason for the reshoot. Of course, after the thought I should have cleaned up the message even more to read;

"Revealing beauty through visual truthfulness."

I'll have to redo it with the new saying as it reads better. Not as awkward. Probably too late to submit.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Nice re-work
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:39 am

TomCofer wrote:Nice re-work

Thanks Tom.

Tonight's class was pretty good. I'm starting to get into how this long distance learning thing works. I had my concerns coming into this but I am finding the process and experience to be something I really needed. So far each consecutive lesson has been getting progressively more challenging and after reading what is in store for lessons five and six, I have my work cut out for me. Lesson five in particular because it deals with gardening and our weather is starting to cool here in Connecticut. I'll have a short window before the vegetation around here starts falling apart. I'll have to get creative to make it look like a Spring planting day.

I am really looking forward to working on lesson six. It's all about chocolate indulgence. Yum! I have a few thoughts in mind for this and it'll be easier as it's going to be a studio shot. Anyhow, next week will be the flower still life I posted earlier. Now to start making my list of chocolaty items to gather...

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:47 am

Duck wrote:Thanks Steven, I appreciate the comments.

I feel the first one was too soft on the focus too. That's another reason for the reshoot. Of course, after the thought I should have cleaned up the message even more to read;

"Revealing beauty through visual truthfulness."

I'll have to redo it with the new saying as it reads better. Not as awkward. Probably too late to submit.

I like the statement as it reads in the second photo. You know that I too have an interest in tabletop product and food photography. I think it's quite a statement of maintaining visual integrity and that could be a niche market all to itself. At least the mission would be a niche.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:25 pm

Steven G Webb wrote:I like the statement as it reads in the second photo...

Thanks Steven. Here is what I wrote about my choices regarding this assignment.

Vision Statement

“Revealing beauty through visual truthfulness”

I like pretty. I like things that are new and shiny and sleek. I like things that are clean and crisp and factory fresh. I also like grunge and splatter and mess. Broken things, decaying rubble, rusty metals and weathered wood make for glorious imagery. What all these things have in common is they can be presented as a form of beauty.

As an artist, I enjoy imagery that makes me see the beauty of the subject and that is a commodity every photographer can sell. After all, the job of the commercial photographer is to make the client’s product look enticing enough to buy.

Personally, there is only so much I will do to sell that beauty. When a product image breaks past the boundaries of reality and becomes a bold faced lie, I don’t want to be associated with that. Bringing out the beauty of a product is one thing. Creating what isn’t there is another.

Balance with visual beauty is capturing the ‘idea’ of a product. Ideas and concepts are ephemeral and often the photographer is asked to give it substance. That creates another potential line between truth and fabrication.

I chose this image to help illustrate how beauty can be brought out of a product without creating a lie. It is an image of a real light bulb photographed under real conditions with real electricity. It is not a fake bulb manipulated to look like it is illuminated.

However, the reality is broken by representing it without a power source. This was a conscious decision because it transforms an object into a concept. This symbol is synonymous with the concept of ‘idea’. The proverbial light coming on over one’s head when an idea is birthed is as old as the light bulb itself.

One may argue that displaying a lit, floating bulb with no visible source of power is, by default, a lie and that is true. That just indicates that boundaries are flexible and truths can be stretched and bent according to what drives the message. If the message is true then the end results are justifiable. So long as truth is maintained.

The choice to use this particular style of bulb was also a conscious decision. I, myself, am not new and shiny. Like this bulb, I’ve been around for a while but I’m still working. I’m still generating ideas and I can still polish up nicely.

The font chosen reflects both beauty and age. A slight glow was added to reflect the glow from the bulb. No dark lights here.

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:32 pm

The next best thing to being able to capture an mage, is talking a picture. A+ on both counts for you.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:54 pm

I took the opportunity to shoot assignment 5 today. The assignment is for a gardening POP display with the message "Root of Power". I enlisted the help of my wife as a hand model and I borrowed our neighbor's garden for the location. In the end I created two layouts as I can't decide on just one. I also took a BTS shot. Thoughts and comments always welcomed. Just note I am not reshooting this but they can be re edited.

Duck_Unitas-assign_05-1.jpg

Duck_Unitas-assign_05-2.jpg

Duck-Unitas-assign-05-3.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:14 am

Assignment 4 was rather last minute but here is the final edit. The assignment was to photograph an entrepreneur for a (fictional) magazine cover. Trying to keep the areas where text goes in mind as you shoot is trickier than it seems. Specially since an inch one way or another can completely change the layout.

Duck-Unitas-assign-04-2.jpg

Return to “Photography Discussion”