General Photography DiscussionGiving Back...

Open general discussion on photography related topics and news.
This is not a photo sharing or critique forum. All photo sharing and critique requests should be posted in the appropriate Member's Gallery or Critic's Corner.
laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Giving Back...

Postby laura72568 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:45 pm

I have been at this photography thing for a long time. I started really concentrating on learning the science behind it 4-5 years ago when I moved to Texas. I no longer use auto mode and know what most everything does on my cameras. All this time, I have been going it alone. If I had a question, I would Google it and find what I hoped was the right answer. I would read books, study online, take online classes, maybe once per year I would attend an in-person workshop or class. There has been a huge change this last 6 months! I joined an established photography group and became a board member and I also took over a local MeetUp group and decided to have it focused on really helping those who want to learn the BASICS. I would have loved to have had that when I started learning. It has been so rewarding and quite a blessing because it made me go outside my comfort zone and has helped me network and meet many photography enthusiasts in my area who enjoy the same types of photography I do. I have met new friends who invite me on photo trips and excursions. I get the opportunity to photograph interesting things and I get to help out some people along the way who are still shooting in Auto Mode and want to learn what Aperture, Shutter and ISO are all about! I know this seems like no big deal to many of you, but I find that sharing a little knowledge with someone and making them feel like there are no dumb questions (which there are not!) and creating an open, inviting place to meet up once or twice per month to ask these questions or just meet up and shoot has opened up a whole new world to me. Just wanted to share. (!)

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: Giving Back...

Postby PeteD » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:55 am

Great idea. That is how many clubs are born. The love of what we do and wanting to help.

I am right there with you. I had to teach myself everything. And at the time, there was no Google. Thank God for youtube now 8):

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:01 am

I've been 'casually' behind a camera since the '80s. When I finally made the transition to digital I thought it would be very simple. Little did I realize that digital cameras, though fundamentally the same, are completely different creatures. Like you, I started off on my own but quickly learned about Meetup groups. I joined a couple, got caught up on the technology and soon found myself answering other people's questions every time I went to an event. That led me to start my own group and soon realized the great personal value that had. I met a bunch of great people to have fun with, share a kindred passion with and network. As an instructor I learned faster and more in-depth information about photography than if I had been left to my own devices. Simply because as an instructor people rely on me to have an answer for them. I can not stress the value being a teacher has on your own education. You'll find this out as you move forward.

The flip side of being a group organizer is the amount of hours needed to research events. Some events that seem simple on the surface can be quite involved. You'll also find that every group has its core members that are both active and helpful and members that just take up a number in the roster and everything in between. I also find that as the members of the group advance, so does my instruction otherwise I'd get left behind. Newbies become advanced shooters quickly and you'll need to up your game in order to keep them involved.

Welcome to the instructor's club. Let me know if I can be of any help as you settle into your role as a meetup organizer.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:15 am

Glad to hear that you're enjoying sharing. :thumbup:
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby laura72568 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind replies...

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi Laura, I try and help anyone along when it comes to photography. However, let me be honest, when I see folks jumping into the portrait world, calling themselves professionals, they still have their cameras set to P for Professional, don't see the harsh light they are working in, bad posing and bad business practices, etc. etc. I tend to back off quickly. Ernst
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:31 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Hi Laura, I try and help anyone along when it comes to photography. However, let me be honest, when I see folks jumping into the portrait world, calling themselves professionals, they still have their cameras set to P for Professional, don't see the harsh light they are working in, bad posing and bad business practices, etc. etc. I tend to back off quickly. Ernst

True words. For me it's more about initial attitude. If the "P"rofessional understands their position and accepts they still have much to learn I don't mind sharing. It's those who "know it all" and can't learn anything new that I back off from. As I see it, I will always continue to learn, no matter how many years I've been in the game. I feel that with my art, with my photography, my cooking skills (I'm a darn good cook) and everything else I have a passion for. The minute I think I know it all is when I should just hang it up as it will no longer be a challenge to me. Once the challenge is gone, so is the fun.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby laura72568 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:24 pm

There's always something to learn, even if they seem to know it all! :?

Return to “General Photography Discussion”