“If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on.” ―Sheryl Sandberg

General Photography DiscussionLighting Technique Question

Open general discussion on photography related topics and news.
This is not a photo sharing or critique forum. All photo sharing and critique requests should be posted in the appropriate Member's Gallery or Critic's Corner.
Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Lighting Technique Question

Postby Steven G Webb » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:14 am

I've got this opportunity to photograph a large inventory of coins for a dealer/collector. First step, the lens is out of the way. Now comes the lighting. I've got a reasonable grasp on reflections and that things reflect, everything. I saw a technique I'm interested in specifically. Here's the rundown on the setup:

The subject material is placed on a flat level surface. The primary light source is positioned directly in front, behind, level and marginally higher than the subject. A clear sheet of glass is positioned on the camera side of the subject and at a 45 degree angle. The camera is positioned directly over the subject and lens straight down. The photo is shot through the glass. The light hits the glass and a good portion of it passes through, however a good bit of it is reflected down evenly illuminating the subject. This method has to be done in a dark room to prevent ghost reflections from appearing in the glass. Also, the glass' angle is altered to create more directional light. I suppose this is like a beam splitter and I've seen the technique used in portable teleprompters. Anyone used this technique? Are there any advantages or disadvantages over direct diffused lighting?
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Return to “General Photography Discussion”