"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

General Discussions5 tips for finishing your New Year's resolutions

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

5 tips for finishing your New Year's resolutions

Postby Duck » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:54 pm

I don't know why we do this to ourselves. Every year at this time we lie to ourselves by establishing goals and making promises that, deep down, we know we'll never keep. Every year the ever traditional New Year's resolution is declared for one reason or another. For me it's something to shoot for, a to do list of sorts. It always start out the same way too, nice and strong with high expectations and loads of enthusiasm that quickly dwindles down to a fond shimmer of a distant memory halfway through the year.

This past year was the same. I had my list of goals I hoped to accomplish that ended up being shuffled to the bottom of the list. The reality of day to day living, work, commitments, excuses and other distractions seem to wend their way into the middle of things, disrupting that nice initial surge of determined commitment.

Then, like a slap to the back of the head, the end of the year creeps up harshly reminding me that everything I had planned for the previous year never got done. The guilt sets in, the proverbial head smack or kick to the ass is made and a new set of seemingly realistic goals is made. The cycle starts anew.

Happy New Year!
Well, this time I have made solid moves forward to get some of last year's goals accomplished for this coming year. I am renting a large space for a studio which means I will need to keep certain aspects of my photography work in the forefront in order to pay for the space. Hopefully it becomes a self perpetuating motivator since I desperately needed to get into a large studio space.

This year I'm going to implement a few tips I've picked up over the past few months. I'd like to share them with you in case you're in the same boat I am about keeping resolutions.

• Keep your resolutions realistic: Don't set goals that are guaranteed to fail or you know deep down you will never finish. I know I'll never be president of the US so that's one resolution I would never make. Kidding aside, the more far fetched a goal the more likely it will be you won't achieve it.
  • Break them down into achievable parts: Even the best intentioned plan will loose steam if the goal begins to feel too daunting. Fortunately even the most daunting resolution can be tamed by breaking it down into easy to accomplish tasks. Breaking a large project into easy to achieve tasks helps create a road map of sorts. An easy-to-follow guide to achieving the larger success.
  • Stay focused: It's too easy to become distracted or make excuses. Use whatever technique you need to keep your goals on track. Lists are something I make for myself. Others have set deadlines on a calendar while others have set a reward system for themselves when they accomplish a task.
  • Get others involved: Having accomplices in attaining a goal helps on several levels. At the least, you have someone to help motivate you or keep you on track. At most, it can be someone to help carry the load or when things start getting tough. Getting help when things get hard is one of the best ways of ensuring a task gets done.
  • Be flexible: There are no sure things in live. Murphy's Law will always show itself at the most inopportune time and with larger projects it usually shows up sooner than later. Having a plan B is nice but learning to negotiate obstacles as they happen keeps your project on track and builds experience. Don't let setbacks derail you and before long the goal you set for yourself will get accomplished.
So what are some of the ways you've found that helps you finish those New Year's resolutions you've set for yourself?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 5 tips for finishing your New Year's resolutions

Postby St3v3M » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:56 pm

DeenaJoshi wrote:hello,

This was really a good article. Often we loose focus on what we want to do and later regret for not doing anything and then start to work on dream from begining. this is what keeps happening every time with us. And that's why Every new year we keep same resolution which keeps getting postponed to next coming years.

I resemble this remark...but there's more to come on this soon so thank you both for the reminder and the kick start! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Davidsheldon
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Davidsheldon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:25 am

Great post !! Thanks for sharing

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm glad that David bumped this - these tips are outstanding.

The only thing I would add is "don't be too hard on yourself" if "you are willing to keep chipping away at it". The things we pick for such resolutions by definition are very hard to accomplish. If they were easy, we wouldn't have to be bothered by them.

And frankly, that is why I appreciate especially the strategies that involve breaking the problem down to easier tasks - and getting others involved.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I never make them. Don't make 'em, can't break 'em. 8):
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I never make them. Don't make 'em, can't break 'em. 8):

Yeah, I'm the same. In my youth I went with the flow and made resolutions just because it sounded like the cool thing to say at the beginning of the year (even though I knew full well I wouldn't be keeping them.) Nowadays... I don't bother because, as you say, "don't make 'em, can't break 'em."
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 pm

July is a good time to reflect on annual goals. In the Old Days before I retired, I remembered that because I had to file semi annual reports then. But ya'll have reminded me!

I had never, before this year, set any specific photography goals, but this year I did. I've made more progress than I anticipated, but what has seemed to happen is that none of them can be checked off. Each one has spawned additional goals with multiple projects attached.These goals and associated projects are reproducing like rabbits. Each rabbit must be chased, of course, so here I am halfway through the year with more things done than I ever imagined but more things yet to do than I can bear to think about. And the rabbits keep dodging down rabbit holes, and..

Next year I think I'll downsize my goals...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:31 am

minniev wrote:... I had never, before this year, set any specific photography goals, but this year I did. I've made more progress than I anticipated, but what has seemed to happen is that none of them can be checked off. Each one has spawned additional goals with multiple projects attached.These goals and associated projects are reproducing like rabbits. Each rabbit must be chased, of course, so here I am halfway through the year with more things done than I ever imagined but more things yet to do than I can bear to think about. And the rabbits keep dodging down rabbit holes, and...

Better to have too many projects than not any at all. Count your blessings and be better for it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “General Discussions”