General Photography DiscussionComputer upgrade considerations...

Open general discussion on photography related topics and news.
This is not a photo sharing or critique forum. All photo sharing and critique requests should be posted in the appropriate Member's Gallery or Critic's Corner.
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Computer upgrade considerations...

Postby Onslow » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:28 am

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my pc.. It's an interesting exercise in making sure things are safe and the upgrade is as painless as possible. My pcs are only used for LR, PS and printing. Internet work is a minor consideration only and has no bearing on the final choice.
My original system is coming up now on 6yrs old. It has had an increase in ram to 24gb two yrs ago and the video card upgraded to a Nvidia Quadro K2000 to support the 10 bit Eizo I use now.
It's a Win7 64 bit system, It has a 500gb ssd as the OS and Lr / PS drive, a 120gb Ssd as a swap drive and 4x1tb WD reds in raid 1+0 to serve as the archive. I have various external drives as well for backup.
The new one is right on the cusp of Win 8.1 to Win 10.... ffs. Ah well.
The physical system is as follows
i7 5930k chip
Asus x99 deluxe mb.
64gb ram
Samsung 850 Evo 1tb SSD for OS and programs
Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb SSD for LR catalog
Samsung 850 Evo 120Gb SSD for windows and PS Swap files
Quadro k2200 4gb video card
4x5Tb WD Reds in an onboard raid 1+0 for a 10Tb drive for archive
plus a few other accessories.

The interesting part I am finding is to make this upgrade process as painless as possible. Finding all of the original software for the various programs and devices I use is interesting to say the least. :o
I have backups happening now after cleaning the machine up. The info in the archive in particular will need to be transferred successfully otherwise I'll be in trouble. So, I'm looking at 4 external HDs with backups on. I have boot disks with the data restore program on... Making sure the LR preferences, the print drivers settings for papers, the various camera, printer and screen profiles I have built are safe is of paramount importance. If I lose them, a long period of rebuilding will be facing me. :(
What's the odds that I'll have forgotten something in the middle of it.....? I figure I'll be out of action for around a week or so during this time..

Wind
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Computer upgrade considerations...

Postby Wind » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:18 am

Good luck with the change over John. Look forward to seeing the improvement. :D

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:24 am

Cheers Eric.
After 24 hrs of transferring files to the new machine, I see a marked improvement. At this stage I have most programs reinstalled. The browser (Chrome) reinstalled flawlessly and brought back my bookmarks, passwords etc. I have gotten Office 365 but can't use the Outlook app until my datafile is recovered. I'm currently transferring around 1.7Tb from my backup hard drives to the new raid. The machine is held back by how fast the external can recover the data and verify it. Currently looking at around 2 days to do the complete lot with verification.
I moved the old machine into the studio for tethering purposes. Whilst the desk was relatively clear, I pulled it out and removed items from the old computer no longer needed and moved cables around as well as removed card readers and other add ons. I also replaced my Intuo 4 ppro tablet with cable for the newer Intuos 5 Pro with wireless. I have had a major de-wiring of the desk and it is now a lot more functional.
With the previous computer, I was having to use addons for functionality which meant lots of cables. This current machine has 14 USB 3.1 slots so accessories are all onboard. As well, the cabling was all hidden at the back of the deck in cable conduit and when I stripped it all out, it made a large difference.
So far, I haven't gotten the colour profiles I built back yet so no printing is possible. But, the print driver settings for both the 3880 and the 7800 came back flawlessly. That was a potential minefield if I had to recreate all of those settings. LR 6.1.1 recognises the presets that have been brought across as well which is good.
At this stage I'm about 50% back to having a photo machine. So far, so good. :)

Wind
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Wind » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:23 am

Sounds like you know what you are doing so you won't need any help from me then. :lol:

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Building a new comp is always a harrowing time and any specifics is to your design needs. Having spent a few years as a techie, I am a firm believer in " If it aint broke don't fix it ". Rebuilding an open system as Windows is, is fraught with danger for the unwary. Old peripherals not recognised by new operating system, software, to dll's not functioning as it should. Win10, from what I heard is very good and stable and a good upgrade from Win7. I will stay with Win7 for now.
It is such a pity that in the years past, upgrading meant throwing away printers, scanners etc: as manufacturers have not upgraded software. The answer is usually, " But we can sell you a new model ". I can see 64 bit being a stable platform for some time yet.
ed
ed davis

Return to “General Photography Discussion”