Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Photography DiscussionI am curious about something

Photography related discussions with a slant towards learning and understanding the art and craft of photography
tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

I am curious about something

Post by tsilva »

Ok many things really, but in this instance my question is -

What makes a photo "dramatic"?

I just looked at a portrait that was titled "dramatic headshot". It is a b/w lowkey shot. I found it to be a nice shot, but I don't really see anything "dramatic" about it.

I seem to be missing something elementary in my viewpoint as I have seen many photos in many genres called "dramatic", but I just can't seem to understand it.

Would y'all please try and help me to understand what makes a photo "dramatic"?

Thanks!

Tony
Tony Silva - Photography Enthusiast

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer »

Others may be able to give you a better answer, but generally I find that it has to do with the lighting. The higher the lighting ratio and/or the harder it is makes it considered more "dramatic".
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Kenny123
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Kenny123 »

Mainly contrast and lighting
"Don't take a snapshot; Make an Image."

tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by tsilva »

Thanks for answering guys. That is the gist of what I understand. Some pictures I can see it, but there are many that to my eyes fall short of the mark.

I guess like most photography, in the final analysis, it's all in the execution.

Thanks again!

Tony

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Actually, the point everyone is missing here has absolutely nothing to do with photography but rather than SEO ranking. The word dramatic was used to pull you into the site so you can view the photo. It doesn't necessarily have to realistically define the image so long as it entices you to click on the link. Which, from the sounds of it, worked as planned.

I see this in a lot of curated sites where they harvest content from other sites and group them into [/i]lists[/i] such as, "You won't believe what these people can do with their bodies" only to find mediocre images of gymnasts caught in funny or compromising positions. The overly dramatic title is used to pull in the traffic.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by tsilva »

Duck wrote:Actually, the point everyone is missing here has absolutely nothing to do with photography but rather than SEO ranking. The word dramatic was used to pull you into the site so you can view the photo. It doesn't necessarily have to realistically define the image so long as it entices you to click on the link. Which, from the sounds of it, worked as planned.

I see this in a lot of curated sites where they harvest content from other sites and group them into [/i]lists[/i] such as, "You won't believe what these people can do with their bodies" only to find mediocre images of gymnasts caught in funny or compromising positions. The overly dramatic title is used to pull in the traffic.

Well actually the photo that sparked my question this time was posted on another forum. The photographer labeled it dramatic, which I believe he intended it to be, but to me it was just a low key shot that didn't seem "dramatic" to me.

Thanks for joining in Duck! And I totally agree with your assessment here. It is totally rampant everywhere. Mostly makes me more determined to NOT click on the link. Especially prevalent in "news" feeds like on yahoo etc etc etc...

I have long wanted the resources to create parodies of these bs tactics. "See the "stunning" photos", well if you are stunned, you can't really do much can you? "Heartrending", thanks I just died. "this will make your day", well great, now I can just go home and not worry about anything else today. and on and on...

Of course I am the same guy that when I see a commercial treating us like we are stupid, wants to go to the company in the ad, find the person that ok'd the crap, find the ad company employee(s) that came up with the idea, and find the actors and the production company that prostituted themselves to create the crap - take them all out to the city square, put them in stocks and lash the crap out of them.

But people think I overreact so there you go...

Tony

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

tsilva wrote:Well actually the photo that sparked my question this time was posted on another forum. The photographer labeled it dramatic, which I believe he intended it to be, but to me it was just a low key shot that didn't seem "dramatic" to me...

Well, in that case the term is a reflection of what the intent was and the image needs to be critiqued as such. In offering a critique you have to take everything the photographer gives you up for critique. This includes not only the image itself but any titles or descriptions the artist gives. For me, those are all clues as to what the photographer had intentioned and can guide the critique to a more specific and detailed explanation.

Of course if the image was posted in a non-critique portion of the forum then that may be a clue as to the photographer's ego. :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow »

I find this a hard question to answer. Dramatic? Hmm, means a lot of things to many people. Like photography, there are many different interpretations. I look at overprocessed and coloured HDRs for instance labelled dramatic and think yuk instead. I look at light painting images labelled dramatic but again think yuk.
This is however, only MY interpretation and reaction to the images.
I tend to do portraits and studio work with some landscapes thrown in for my pleasure. I know dramtic images in those genres. However, other genres I have no interest don't elicit the same reaction in me...