"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Photography DiscussionI Agree With Mr. Adams

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

I Agree With Mr. Adams

Post by rmalarz » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm

"You don't take a photograph, you make it". - Ansel Adams
-Bob
Attachments
D700-2011091001-013-Taken.jpg
As Taken
D700-2011091001-013-Made.jpg
As Made
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:53 am

Bob,The scene is breathtaking but I find it hard to take in either of these photos. The composition is terrific, the dof is amazing, but the colors in both seem to me not to cohere. Not sure whether that makes sense. I know now from that little test I took that I have very slight color blindness (I pass ordinary color tests not the hi-fi ones evidently) so that may account for my reaction. The three elements, canyon, sky, and clouds look like they came from different photos and were PSed together. My eyes! Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:14 am

Matt, thanks for looking, the compliments, and the comments. It might be attributable to your seeing. However, this was also taken just after the sunset below the horizon, the brightest part of the line above the ground to the right of the photograph. The subdued tones of the evening sky, coupled with the remaining evening light on the landscape might contribute to the colors of the photo.

Most of the photos of The Grand Canyon are taken during daylight hours and thus the colors of the rocks are brighter. This photo was trying to pull as much color out of the scene as the light was permitting. I think that added a bit to the muting of the colors.
--Bob

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:18 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm
-Bob
I fully agree with Mr. Adams also. I use camera settings, lenses and my various pp tools all in combination to get what I want. Some are very close to what a jpeg would be with default settings but others are not at all close. It is much like cooking. I need decent ingredients: a good base file appropriate to what I’m trying to do, which requires technical stuff, but also a vision for where I want to end up and the right PP tools and skills to get me there. There is no single standard for where we want to go with an image. There wasn’t for Adams, there isn’t for Malarz, there isn’t for me.

I probably wouldn’t have processed the image that Bob posted here like he has. I might not have captured it like he did in the first place. That doesn’t matter. What matters is that he felt it fulfilled his interpretation of that scene. Mine might be very different. Neither of us would be wrong.

I was asked a few days ago what “photographic independence” might mean. I think it means to freedom to create what you want without so much concern about it fitting someone else’s expectations. I’m pleased when someone else likes my work, I won’t deny it. I got an email yesterday from a magazine wanting to purchase two of my images. That made my day! But I still would have liked those images anyway.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Minnie, thank you for sharing your insight.
--Bob

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:09 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm
-Bob