“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

General Photography DiscussionTiny Things: A Learn-and-Share Activity Thread = Join In!

Open general discussion on photography related topics and news.
This is not a photo sharing or critique forum. All photo sharing and critique requests should be posted in the appropriate Member's Gallery or Critic's Corner.
Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Tiny Things: A Learn-and-Share Activity Thread = Join In!

Postby Steven G Webb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Oh no fancy equipment there.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Duck wrote:I don't have impressive equipment like that fancy microscope lens setup but here is my little example of extreme closeups as would be used for a commercial product.

Nice clean, detailed shot, but the set-up is even more interesting, As I've said before Duck's studio is terrifying and mysterious. Thanks for adding a whole different type of and use for close up work. This is much more exotic to me than whatever that is Piet has done with ? tin foil.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Steven G Webb wrote:Oh no fancy equipment there.

minniev wrote:Nice clean, detailed shot, but the set-up is even more interesting, As I've said before Duck's studio is terrifying and mysterious. Thanks for adding a whole different type of and use for close up work. This is much more exotic to me than whatever that is Piet has done with ? tin foil.

I'm just using standard photo equipment in a (slightly) standard way. That microscope elerment setup isn't a standard setup. There are a lot of technical issues that needed to be overcome with that setup; lens attachment, focus adjustment, camera stabilization, lighting, subject stabilization. All within a tight working area, and all, it seems, DIY.

Sounds like a tutorial in the making... :D ;) :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 pm

I like your setup Duck, it shows the importance of light! I assume your lens is a macro lens..

About "Fancy".. mostly... as you said it is "DIY". You point out that there are many difficulties that need to be overcome - that is an understatement all right! Some explanations:

Objective - many can be found on eBay - some are better than others. Getting the right one can be a mystery - hard to research when you don't know.. I bought a specific one only because someone else, somewhere else, said it would work.

Objective to lens connection. I have a properly threaded metal lens cap with a properly threaded hole that was procured from a fellow in Russia or Ukraine that makes them. It cost me forty or fifty bucks. Some people have successfully tapped a hole of proper size in a lens cap or figured out how to reinforce a lens cap to support the objective.

Focus is achieved by moving the lens closer to (or further from) the subject.

This is done by mounting the camera on a rail that allows the camera to slide back and forth. The rail is mounted on a large slab of wood which sits on a heavy desk, which sits on a concrete floor -- away from roads and noise and fans and things that might make the air move. Vibration is bad. Something that I learned only recently is that rubber bands that pull the camera into the rail is a good thing - puts a tension on it that keeps things still.

The subject is held up by a piece of clay that sits in a tube that rests on more clay that rests on a platform that can be moved - but most importantly, the platform has a thread that allows me to screw it up and down with control.

the biggest concern is having enough light, and getting the light to be diffused. If you work with flash, you need to still have lots of ambient light on the subject just to be able to see where the focus is. And it is hard to judge what the image will look like, even gimping... because you are only looking at one image out of a series of images that will be combined.

The canon macro lens MP-E 65mm is highly regarded at 5X and is probably the best you can do without moving into microscope objectives.

But anyway, DIY is anything but Fancy!!!

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:46 pm

The mention of having enough light to focus by brought to mind something we had in the studio years ago. We had a focusing light made of a clamp fixture work light with a narrower reflector outfitted with a floodlight bulb. A momentary foot switch turned the light on and off. Most of us found the switch on the floor aggravating so we attached it to the camera support. I see the switch is available from Granger: https://www.grainger.com/product/2W809? ... ctads-adid^50916776877-device^c-plaid^81032114637-sku^2W809-adType^PLA
http://www.tinsmiths.co.ok
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Steven G Webb wrote:The mention of having enough light to focus by brought to mind something we had in the studio years ago. We had a focusing light made of a clamp fixture work light with a narrower reflector outfitted with a floodlight bulb. A momentary foot switch turned the light on and off. Most of us found the switch on the floor aggravating so we attached it to the camera support. I see the switch is available from Granger: https://www.grainger.com/product/2W809? ... ctads-adid^50916776877-device^c-plaid^81032114637-sku^2W809-adType^PLA
http://www.tinsmiths.co.ok

A light to focus with is so very necessary and such a pain. You forget to turn it off, you bump it, when you have limited space (subject is 1/4 inch away from the objective), even getting it to shine on the target becomes problematic.

One solution is to just have a lot of light and leave it on and not use flash, just take long exposures... but that makes vibration an even greater issues, and lights are HOT. Meaning the subject can be damaged by the heat. But having said that, technology changes and perhaps LED lights are (or soon will be) a solution that lets us move back into a "you see what you get - don't use flash" world.

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm

I worked with a Camerz long-roll camera with a Pan-Tilt head. The momentary switch was affixed next to the one of the adjustment knobs opposite side from the focusing knob. No fussing with on/off (release pressure on the switch and the light went off). The light was bright compared to the modeling lights but we only needed to switch it on for a second, maybe two for focus.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Return to “General Photography Discussion”