“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

General Photography DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion- Oct 2017 - Gursky's Rhein II

Open general discussion on photography related topics and news.
This is not a photo sharing or critique forum. All photo sharing and critique requests should be posted in the appropriate Member's Gallery or Critic's Corner.
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Monthly Masters' Discussion- Oct 2017 - Gursky's Rhein II

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Just back from 10 days wandering about eastern Canada on a bum leg, camera in hand, and am beside myself with glee to find such a wonderful discussion in this Master's thread. Thank you to ALL of you who participated, especially Matt, Chuck and Duck for going the extra mile sharing research and knowledge. Duck's mini-tutorial was a real gem, a small study course for those of us who love the theoretical and design side of art. Mr. Gursky doesn't know what he's missing by being too busy to participate and might have learned something about his own artwork (and thank you for your bold leadership Steve, inviting him was a fantastic move!). I read the whole thread through again twice, and this is exactly the kind of discussion I've always hoped these topics could lead to.

It doesn't really matter whether we like these images or not, though that can form the foundation of our replies. What matters is the conversation and the shared learning.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Since I'm the one who encouraged others to post a "Rhein II"- ish image, I should do the same. So here's the two I've taken, and I confess to recalling Rhein II when I took them, in a vague sort of way, and shot the images for my own fun.

The first was taken from the cliff above the Mississippi River and its commercial barges, at Vicksburg.

The second was taken in Yellowstone.

Barges and antelope butts are not as inspiring as the carefully chosen shapes and colors of Gursky's but they were fun to think through and execute.
Attachments
gursky (1 of 1).jpg
gursky (1 of 1)-2.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:04 pm

minniev wrote:...
Barges and antelope butts are not as inspiring as the carefully chosen shapes and colors of Gursky's but they were fun to think through and execute.

Oh My! I'd print those on acrylic and see what they auction off for! S-
- And Welcome Home!
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 pm

minniev wrote:Since I'm the one who encouraged others to post a "Rhein II"- ish image, I should do the same. So here's the two I've taken, and I confess to recalling Rhein II when I took them, in a vague sort of way, and shot the images for my own fun.

The first was taken from the cliff above the Mississippi River and its commercial barges, at Vicksburg.

I think those are both terrific and had I seen them outside this discussion I should hope I would still recognize them as "channeling Gursky." The alignments are wonderful. Daphne and I always loved the big tows on the Mississippi. We'd stand and watch them lock through even though it took forever. It would never have occurred to me to make the picture you made, although it's also true that I never encountered the situation with barges on both banks. In the second I especially love the fact of species-ism, the buffalo all lined up in their field and the antelope in theirs, never the twain to meet.
Great stuff and Welcome Back and hoping your leg is feeling better! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:47 am

Y'know, I didn't think I had anything Gursky-esque, but I was doing some review and came across this. It was made in July, 2016, near Ozaukee, Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan. Daphne was still able to walk when this was made. She used a staff and did quite well, enjoying the walk very much. It was one of the last we were able to make, although at the time we had no inkling that she only had about 6 months left. She loved Lake Michigan.

ImageResting on a Bench, Looking Out over the Lake by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

We had stopped to rest on a bench in this lovely lakeside park, high on a bluff over the lake, and I just brought my camera up and tried to capture what I saw, but more importantly I was trying to capture what I felt. It was peaceful and bright. I'm glad I made it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:55 am

Minnie, Welcome home. Take care of the leg. Photographers need to get around and be nimble, and be quick.

I enjoy the tonal range in the first, and the muted tones in the second. I would have thought Rhein II for the first but not for the second; it doesn't contain enough contrast and density for me. In the first, I like the coolness of the silvers in the sky, water and cover of the nearest barge. They glow. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
minniev wrote:Since I'm the one who encouraged others to post a "Rhein II"- ish image, I should do the same. So here's the two I've taken, and I confess to recalling Rhein II when I took them, in a vague sort of way, and shot the images for my own fun.

I think those are both terrific and had I seen them outside this discussion I should hope I would still recognize them as "channeling Gursky." The alignments are wonderful. Daphne and I always loved the big tows on the Mississippi. We'd stand and watch them lock through even though it took forever. It would never have occurred to me to make the picture you made, although it's also true that I never encountered the situation with barges on both banks. In the second I especially love the fact of species-ism, the buffalo all lined up in their field and the antelope in theirs, never the twain to meet.
Great stuff and Welcome Back and hoping your leg is feeling better! :thumbup:

Thanks Chuck for the comments. In the Yellowstone shot, I was intrigued with how the animals divided themselves in those different rows of their own accord.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:02 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Y'know, I didn't think I had anything Gursky-esque, but I was doing some review and came across this. It was made in July, 2016, near Ozaukee, Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan. Daphne was still able to walk when this was made. She used a staff and did quite well, enjoying the walk very much. It was one of the last we were able to make, although at the time we had no inkling that she only had about 6 months left. She loved Lake Michigan.

ImageResting on a Bench, Looking Out over the Lake by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

We had stopped to rest on a bench in this lovely lakeside park, high on a bluff over the lake, and I just brought my camera up and tried to capture what I saw, but more importantly I was trying to capture what I felt. It was peaceful and bright. I'm glad I made it.

And you did indeed find something Gursky-esque, whether intentional or not, and it's a nice one, with the complementary rich blues and golds. It's one of those pictures where you know what it felt like to be there.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, Welcome home. Take care of the leg. Photographers need to get around and be nimble, and be quick.

I enjoy the tonal range in the first, and the muted tones in the second. I would have thought Rhein II for the first but not for the second; it doesn't contain enough contrast and density for me. In the first, I like the coolness of the silvers in the sky, water and cover of the nearest barge. They glow. Matt

I'm not very nimble in my best form :D

Thanks for commenting, the two were fun to do. The barge shot was deliberately composed based on Rhein II for the heck of it, but the Yellowstone shot was shot for the oddity of animals applying their own geometry, then cropped when I thought I saw Gursky in it once I got it in the computer.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Y'know, I didn't think I had anything Gursky-esque, but I was doing some review and came across this. It was made in July, 2016, near Ozaukee, Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan. Daphne was still able to walk when this was made. She used a staff and did quite well, enjoying the walk very much. It was one of the last we were able to make, although at the time we had no inkling that she only had about 6 months left. She loved Lake Michigan.

Wow I really love this! It's a beautiful image, but those contrasting colors are amazing. I can see why Daphne loved the lake so much! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “General Photography Discussion”