Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Pauls 52

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Pauls 52

Post by tsilva »

Hi Paul,
Sorry to take so long with an answer, afraid things went from bad to worse for me.

I hope this video answers some of your questions on how you can take 1 properly exposed image and with a few quick LR adjustments an turn it into the scene you saw.

[youtube]i5rQJ-MTJio[/youtube]

Tony
Tony Silva - Photography Enthusiast

Wind
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Wind »

I found that video very interesting Tony enjoyed the in depth tutorial of using a manual light meter of a scene. Raised more questions than answered but reinforced my current understanding. I found it conflicting that he was choosing to expose by adjusting his f stop. I have discussed this previously in depth with Onslow why would you want to compromise a soft image with a smaller aperture for a given scene. I would prefer to adjust shutter speed to expose the scene correctly for the chosen f stop. Found the use of the Hand held meter in an outdoor scene an unnecessary addition to an already overloaded equipment bag. By using your Histogram and ensuring no clipping off highlights and ensuring the highlights are pushed as far right as possible on the back of camera and making adjustments as necessary. Does this not achieve the same thing? I enjoyed his use of the grey card and spot metering will be giving that a try but that still does not change looking at the histogram and making the necessary adjustments.
Personally the HDR thing is very personal but for me I will only bother when I find either ends clipping on the histogram therefore with my Canon 5dmkiii I can easily afford at least a stop to 2 stops between images to make the difference worth it.

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by pah43 »

Im a bit late this week, That discussion with the doctor i mentioned has taken place, ive been somewhat immobile for the past week or so BUT all is good - no serious long term damage - I have apparently damaged a tendon and its on the mend. Thanks Tony for the video - very interesting and a great reminder 8): As ive been out of action this weeks post is from the archive, Ive just bought the Mac program Affinity Photo and im sort of wading my way through it - it seems to be good so far - Ive still much to work through but as I like to remove unwanted objects from my pictures i have concentrated on that topic mostly so far. I took this shot on field trip with Onslow a while back, always like the image but all the power poles, cables, vehicles etc spoilt it for me so that made it a good one to practice on so ive posted the before and after.
Cheers Paul

Before

After
Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo:

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer »

Nice clean-up job Paul.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by pah43 »

Bit of closeup / macro this week - you have inspired me Tom :D plus its the topic for our club challenge this week so can kill many birds with one stone :D

Took this one using my 18 -105 0n a 36mm extension tube - not the ideal combination I know but if its all you have then thats what you have go with. The leaf itself was about half and inch long, didnt see all the bugs until I got it onto the computer screen. 8):
Cheers Paul
Cheers,
Paul.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow »

Very nice work Paul

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer »

Nice one Paul.
Yes, bugs do tend to photo bomb a lot in macro photography. I tend to think of them as a bonus. :)

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by pah43 »

It was our town annual show this weekend, I didnt spend long there but I did spot this tribute to our Ozzy body shop workers - waste Nothing :cheers:

Paul

Cheers,
Paul.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer »

Interesting car Paul

thcofer@charter.net

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Post by PeteD »

Nice shot . What is it? A Holden?