Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Piet's 2020 52 Birds

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Piet's 2020 52 Birds

Post by PietFrancke »

can't promise that they are all unique or that you haven't seen them, but will try to do one a week here. If I can post a shot from the week I will do that, but if I happen upon an old image that deserves attention, I'm not hesitating to do so. (For instance, I started organizing folders by subject instead of by when shot - and my green heron folder has some treasures that I have not paid attention to).

Week 1 - the Green Heron
greenHeronWk01.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Utterly gorgeous. I love the way you've used this light, which is different from your usual darker approach. This is almost high key, and you've brought out all his details. You are a PhotoArtist John James Audubon! I love this series, and I will be you'll be able to get a gallery show or book with the end result of this if you want.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:44 pm
Utterly gorgeous. I love the way you've used this light, which is different from your usual darker approach. This is almost high key, and you've brought out all his details. You are a PhotoArtist John James Audubon! I love this series, and I will be you'll be able to get a gallery show or book with the end result of this if you want.
LOL - thank you Min - I cheated like hell. I was browsing Birds of the Chesapeake Bay - Paintings by John W. Taylor and I thought.. mmmm, how can I make one of my shots look like this?

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

So briefly.....how did you..? Absolutely stunning Piet

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:00 am
LOL, thanks Frank - briefly then -
1) lifted shadows and pulled back highlights in camera raw to get started
2) In PS, using a luminosity mask (for brights) I used camera raw filter and increased texture and made the brights a little warmer.
3) using a luminosity mask on darks, I increased coolness
4) threw a texture onto it in multiply mode (the background was completely blown out) and masked out the effect on branch and bird and adjusted opacity
5) added a slight vignette (whiteish pale yellow)
6) did a high pass filter and some sharpening on the bird
7) selectively screwed around with the colors a little, glowing the warms and making the blue greys in the rump more pronounced.
8) upped the contrast selectively (hopefully - tastefully)
9) blurred the branch where it enters the frame

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Pretty precise for brief.....I appreciate it, don't know how you remember all that. Just wonderful work you do

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:14 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:00 am
LOL, thanks Frank - briefly then -
1) lifted shadows and pulled back highlights in camera raw to get started
2) In PS, using a luminosity mask (for brights) I used camera raw filter and increased texture and made the brights a little warmer.
3) using a luminosity mask on darks, I increased coolness
4) threw a texture onto it in multiply mode (the background was completely blown out) and masked out the effect on branch and bird and adjusted opacity
5) added a slight vignette (whiteish pale yellow)
6) did a high pass filter and some sharpening on the bird
7) selectively screwed around with the colors a little, glowing the warms and making the blue greys in the rump more pronounced.
8) upped the contrast selectively (hopefully - tastefully)
9) blurred the branch where it enters the frame
Ha! wasn't that hard, photoshop was still open and I had the layers to look at. Like Min said, going high key helped, keeping the edges of the bird soft allowed them to blend into the distance/background. Picking an image from a book where a real artist already had a color scheme and then finding something that would work with that.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

week 2 - snowy egrets, same perch - 2 birds (composite of same bird).. No, next week won't have three birds (well maybe)..
Not all that happy with this one, but practice is practice after all.
snowyEgretWk2S.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

I like it but understand your statement Piet..maybe it's the rump of the back bird having too much of the background color on it..... Looks to me you've just been a bit hasty..brush work is noticeable and oh, where did you find blue tree bark..lol May not have helped here but are you aware of changing your brush to overlay for masking? Still digging your birds though

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 am
I like it but understand your statement Piet..maybe it's the rump of the back bird having too much of the background color on it..... Looks to me you've just been a bit hasty..brush work is noticeable and oh, where did you find blue tree bark..lol May not have helped here but are you aware of changing your brush to overlay for masking? Still digging your birds though
yep, the problem began with the back bird... I had moved closer between shots and the backgrounds were different too. And then when I started blending in a texture, it all went to sh.t. LOL I think part of the problem was I spent more than an hour on it, after a while you can't see what you are doing any more, especially when you get into a troubles and try to fix things that you shouldn't be dealing with. I'll try the concept again, hopefully with better luck - Thanks Frank.