Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Piet's 2020 52 Birds

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Piet's 2020 52 Birds

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:03 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:33 am
What vision for presentation....just totally awesome Piet....WOW
wow - LOL, thanks Frank. was just applying a few theories - 1) lots of dark is not a bad thing - it provides a "base" for your image. 2) Sky is light (but not too boring), 3) perpendicular (branches) can be nice and dark. and most importantly, 4) was a disappointing shot while I took it (too many branches in the way). and the branches in silhouette convinced me that a Halloween heron might be worth trying. Still some halo around the beak and some ugly splotches that have too much attention.
Beautiful moody bird portrait, showcases your skill for managing dark images from concept to execution. Herons are usually conveyed as delicate and ethereal, but you’ve managed to capture their darker and slightly scary side. (My youngest grandson insists that our local blue heron is really a pterodactyl so he sees that side).

For the very slight haloing around the beak, have you tried the clone stamp/darken blend trick on it? It looks like a good candidate for that trick.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:48 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:03 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:33 am
What vision for presentation....just totally awesome Piet....WOW
wow - LOL, thanks Frank. was just applying a few theories - 1) lots of dark is not a bad thing - it provides a "base" for your image. 2) Sky is light (but not too boring), 3) perpendicular (branches) can be nice and dark. and most importantly, 4) was a disappointing shot while I took it (too many branches in the way). and the branches in silhouette convinced me that a Halloween heron might be worth trying. Still some halo around the beak and some ugly splotches that have too much attention.
Beautiful moody bird portrait, showcases your skill for managing dark images from concept to execution. Herons are usually conveyed as delicate and ethereal, but you’ve managed to capture their darker and slightly scary side. (My youngest grandson insists that our local blue heron is really a pterodactyl so he sees that side).

For the very slight haloing around the beak, have you tried the clone stamp/darken blend trick on it? It looks like a good candidate for that trick.
I should have called it "the old pterodactyl" for sure! Will have to look that up, normally would just have done some more "darken the image", and then mask in the darkness. Your way sounds easier.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:26 am

I should have called it "the old pterodactyl" for sure! Will have to look that up, normally would just have done some more "darken the image", and then mask in the darkness. Your way sounds easier.
Choose your clone stamp, switch its blend mode (not the layer's blend mode) to darken, sample the sky you're trying to match, just outside the trouble zone, and paint in the bright halo just outside of the beak with a fairly small fairly soft brush. It should "find" the light areas and leave the other alone. You may have to fiddle with the opacity of the match, the size of the brush, and brush placement. I would expect to need something like 75% opacity on this one but have sometimes needed more or less than I assumed. There's probably plenty of tutorials online about it that explain it better than me. I learned it when Bob Yankle posted a tutorial on UHH about it. Since I love using mid tone contrast, I really need it in lots of photos.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

minniev...I may be confused but on a new blank layer I think it IS the layer blend mode that you change to darken, not the clone brush's mode....please correct me if I misunderstand

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

i do the brush blend mode not the layer mode but the other might work too. not sure. worth further experimentation and discussion.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:25 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:26 am

Choose your clone stamp, switch its blend mode (not the layer's blend mode) to darken, sample the sky you're trying to match, just outside the trouble zone, and paint in the bright halo just outside of the beak with a fairly small fairly soft brush. It should "find" the light areas and leave the other alone. You may have to fiddle with the opacity of the match, the size of the brush, and brush placement. I would expect to need something like 75% opacity on this one but have sometimes needed more or less than I assumed. There's probably plenty of tutorials online about it that explain it better than me. I learned it when Bob Yankle posted a tutorial on UHH about it. Since I love using mid tone contrast, I really need it in lots of photos.
thank you, I will try this. I never use the clone stamp, this could be useful.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

So after some study of your fabulous image...I offer ideas for your pursuit, utilize what might inspire and discard what does not. I appreciate the opportunity to play and think...Thank you
Attachments
heronS_psjunkie.jpeg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:16 am
So after some study of your fabulous image...I offer ideas for your pursuit, utilize what might inspire and discard what does not. I appreciate the opportunity to play and think...Thank you
Hi Frank, I am honored that you played with it and thought about it - heck, the two kinds of things that when done together, move humanity forward! And I think the very heart and soul or art (which I am not self disciplined enough to properly control), is all about using what inspires and discarding that which doe not. An area that I wish to grow in is emphasizing the strengths and pruning the distractions.

I love how the beak gained in strength and forcefulness - you made the bird more wicked in a really cool shiny way.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Glad you found some value..I must admit I am learning to see light a bit differently from following along with you and minniev in the Landscape Painting thread...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

week 36, another shot of the juvenile Ibis I shot a couple of years ago.. not much but was good to get something done.
JuvIbisS.jpg