Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Piet's 2020 52 Birds

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Piet's 2020 52 Birds

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:42 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:10 am
week 34 - clapper rail. this morning, saw a heron sitting on a pine tree branch and tried to sneak up on it and it flew into a mud hole in the marsh, so since mosquitoes are light and flies are gone, I decided to proceed. The heron wasn't there, but I ran into this clapper rail, which is a rarity for me (they are pretty skittish). The light was bad, but did the best I could with him. clapper rail.jpg
I love him! I love clapper rails in general, and yes they are the most timid of birds, and I have only found one that I got decent pictures of. He seems to be a blue hour/deep shade image, and the cool tones look good on him. Do you mean to paint him? Audubon style?
hi Min, I've done the best with him that I could. The sun was directly behind him and he was in deep shade. I brushed over him to kill the photographic noise - but am currently at a loss for how to take him further than this.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

A wonderful image well presented Piet....love the brush work. If I did not give comment I might seem uncaring, which just does not exist in my heart.....sooooo, Have more patience and blend the edges of your brush work more subtly into the more photorealistic edges of the image.....legs, chest and reeds, back and background..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:58 pm
A wonderful image well presented Piet....love the brush work. If I did not give comment I might seem uncaring, which just does not exist in my heart.....sooooo, Have more patience and blend the edges of your brush work more subtly into the more photorealistic edges of the image.....legs, chest and reeds, back and background..
ha! Yes, patience is a virtue - plus hard work is always good. Too much to do, too little time. I was very happy I got a shot and posted it, my gear does not get picked up often enough!! Good points all.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:36 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
ha! Yes, patience is a virtue - plus hard work is always good. Too much to do, too little time. I was very happy I got a shot and posted it, my gear does not get picked up often enough!! Good points all.
You are correct..don't remember my last shot......

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:
Where have we heard about edges? Familiar... Audubon’s clapper rail https://images.app.goo.gl/h9F2m1wkCv5gEinv7
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:40 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:
Where have we heard about edges? Familiar... Audubon’s clapper rail https://images.app.goo.gl/h9F2m1wkCv5gEinv7
thank you for that reference. Good to know what can be done. This one was much greyer - did not have much brown/orange (which I think makes for a pretty combo). yeah... sigh... edges!

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

I like the concept, but am distracted by the closeness of the two pairs of feet on the branch and what I perceive to be an awkward relationship of the bodies of the two birds -making me think they ought be perched on separate branches with those two pairs of feet more widely separated.

Dave

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

week 35 - the old Heron - I keep trying to sneak up on her, and she keeps flying away and barks at me.. It sounds like something between a bark and a cackle, and I know way down deep, that someday she will come to me during my last night.
heronS.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

What vision for presentation....just totally awesome Piet....WOW

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:33 am
What vision for presentation....just totally awesome Piet....WOW
wow - LOL, thanks Frank. was just applying a few theories - 1) lots of dark is not a bad thing - it provides a "base" for your image. 2) Sky is light (but not too boring), 3) perpendicular (branches) can be nice and dark. and most importantly, 4) was a disappointing shot while I took it (too many branches in the way). and the branches in silhouette convinced me that a Halloween heron might be worth trying. Still some halo around the beak and some ugly splotches that have too much attention.