Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Piet's 2020 52 Birds

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Piet's 2020 52 Birds

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:12 pm

you will catch up and surpass. I know this, because I know You.
Na. Because I am too busy doing silly stuff like cramming fish into a light bulb. You are more focused and purposeful, and I am pretty sure your traditional art ability is beyond mine.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

Na. Because I am too busy doing silly stuff like cramming fish into a light bulb. You are more focused and purposeful, and I am pretty sure your traditional art ability is beyond mine.
LOL - I call BS.. However, Udemy is running a sale, so I got a two hour (four hour on my slow internet), oil painting course for 10 bucks. Normally it would have cost me 40 bucks. It is called Impressionism - Paint this Farmhouse with Oils or Acrylics (Christopher Clark). LOL, so I also am more Random than Focused and purposeful... My idea in this case being that I have learned more about PS and the Mixer Brush, so now I want to see how an Impressionistic painting is created using a sketch (line), value study, color underpainting, and then the brushing details. I figure there is no reason why traditional processes can't be "amplified" and followed in PS. Not doing traditional art -- but I DO think that traditional art skills are very important in PS bashing, and in Photography too!!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:28 am
minniev wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:

LOL - I call BS.. However, Udemy is running a sale, so I got a two hour (four hour on my slow internet), oil painting course for 10 bucks. Normally it would have cost me 40 bucks. It is called Impressionism - Paint this Farmhouse with Oils or Acrylics (Christopher Clark). LOL, so I also am more Random than Focused and purposeful... My idea in this case being that I have learned more about PS and the Mixer Brush, so now I want to see how an Impressionistic painting is created using a sketch (line), value study, color underpainting, and then the brushing details. I figure there is no reason why traditional processes can't be "amplified" and followed in PS. Not doing traditional art -- but I DO think that traditional art skills are very important in PS bashing, and in Photography too!!
Well, let me know how it goes, it won't be the first time I've tagged behind you even if I never do catch up.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:54 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:28 am
minniev wrote:

Well, let me know how it goes, it won't be the first time I've tagged behind you even if I never do catch up.
Ha! my wife Shirl say that is called "going down the rabbit hole".

The Udemy streaming video is worth 10 or 12 bucks, I wouldn't pay 40. The painter does a value study first, and I am now watching him do the underpainting, where he establishes the dark areas and the light areas and the base colors. He describe the sense of light as a war between warm and cool (he makes the lighter areas cooler and the darker areas warmer. He is also making the darker areas greener and gives the lighter areas a touch of magenta (much like the control on PS Tint slider!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

week 33.... metallic submarine hunter... breaking news - I hear a Thump - explosion, I see billowing clouds of smoke, and shortly after the explosion I see this P8 Poseidon fly overhead with what I assume is a missing torpedo (probably his original load-out). Later I hear that a military plane has been downed (the thump and the explosion) and that all four men aboard managed to eject or otherwise get out. Air traffic is heavy, as numerous military planes and a news helicopter fly over the crash site. I wonder if it will make the national news, it certainly has made the local grapevine...
P8.jpg
edit - it has since been reported that a Hawkeye crashed on a training mission - all crew managed to get out before it went down.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Great capture and story....yes national news

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

week 34 - clapper rail. this morning, saw a heron sitting on a pine tree branch and tried to sneak up on it and it flew into a mud hole in the marsh, so since mosquitoes are light and flies are gone, I decided to proceed. The heron wasn't there, but I ran into this clapper rail, which is a rarity for me (they are pretty skittish). The light was bad, but did the best I could with him.
clapper rail.jpg

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

Congrats, Piet!
This image presents well the lighting inadequacies that you had to overcome - and overcame incredibly well, I must add- to accomplish this environmental portrait. That crummy lighting has become just one more aspect of the scene that you have rendered so well!
An awesome image that puts me right there with you and the rail! I can feel the wet air and hear the “sound of wetness...”
Super image!
Dave

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

uuglypher wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:07 pm
Congrats, Piet!
This image presents well the lighting inadequacies that you had to overcome - and overcame incredibly well, I must add- to accomplish this environmental portrait. That crummy lighting has become just one more aspect of the scene that you have rendered so well!
An awesome image that puts me right there with you and the rail! I can feel the wet air and hear the “sound of wetness...”
Super image!
Dave
thanks Dave - I definitely was very happy to see the critter!!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:10 am
week 34 - clapper rail. this morning, saw a heron sitting on a pine tree branch and tried to sneak up on it and it flew into a mud hole in the marsh, so since mosquitoes are light and flies are gone, I decided to proceed. The heron wasn't there, but I ran into this clapper rail, which is a rarity for me (they are pretty skittish). The light was bad, but did the best I could with him. clapper rail.jpg
I love him! I love clapper rails in general, and yes they are the most timid of birds, and I have only found one that I got decent pictures of. He seems to be a blue hour/deep shade image, and the cool tones look good on him. Do you mean to paint him? Audubon style?