Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Piet's 2020 52 Birds

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Piet's 2020 52 Birds

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm
week 36 - well, not really, Way behind and well into a new year. But number 36 -

Eastern Bluebird - did not do much with the bird, but wanted to create a background that would work well with the bird's coloring, so I figured it needed blues and greys to compliment it's blue and warm colors. bluebirdS.jpg
What a gorgeous image! The bird photo is one of those perfectly posed/composed images so impossible for me. Your bird cooperated nicely and you captured it just as nicely. But the creation of the image is more than that because you managed to incorporate him into a beautiful background that sets him off perfectly. This would be a fine print.

I have to ask, did you create the background?
thanks Paula,

I started with something like the below image (it might have been that one.,.) and changed the color cast and did a multiply and overlay layer (I think) with a rough mask removing the effect from the bird.
Also here is my starting image. On the background, I think I rotated it and then once I got the colors good, I did further scumbling with a mixer brush and made the edges blend in with the background.

The start of the effort though was "mmm, what colors would work with this bird" - then all flowed from that choice.
bluebirdO.jpgmp-bg-1.jpg
I like the softer look of the strokes, different than what I'm used to seeing (and being told to do)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:10 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm
week 36 - well, not really, Way behind and well into a new year. But number 36 -

Eastern Bluebird - did not do much with the bird, but wanted to create a background that would work well with the bird's coloring, so I figured it needed blues and greys to compliment it's blue and warm colors. bluebirdS.jpg
What a gorgeous image! The bird photo is one of those perfectly posed/composed images so impossible for me. Your bird cooperated nicely and you captured it just as nicely. But the creation of the image is more than that because you managed to incorporate him into a beautiful background that sets him off perfectly. This would be a fine print.

I have to ask, did you create the background?
thanks Paula,

I started with something like the below image (it might have been that one.,.) and changed the color cast and did a multiply and overlay layer (I think) with a rough mask removing the effect from the bird.
Also here is my starting image. On the background, I think I rotated it and then once I got the colors good, I did further scumbling with a mixer brush and made the edges blend in with the background.

The start of the effort though was "mmm, what colors would work with this bird" - then all flowed from that choice.
bluebirdO.jpgmp-bg-1.jpg
I like the softer look of the strokes, different than what I'm used to seeing (and being told to do)
LOL, we - you and me, we work for the computer image. But, they are teaching for the print. I think that more harshness is needed for prints. I hear it all the time, "it looks nice, but you will have print problems". So, for those images that I choose to actually print, we just have to roughen them up even more with more texture and perhaps sharpness and contrast.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I have not printed any of the portrait type pictures but I’ve printed many with texture backgrounds, some more manipulated than others, and one of yours. I’ve printed on canvas, on hot press and on matte papers. I have never seen a problem. So I don’t understand this argument. I doubt they’d do well on glossy paper but who would do that anyway. There has to be more that I don’t understand.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:51 pm
I have not printed any of the portrait type pictures but I’ve printed many with texture backgrounds, some more manipulated than others, and one of yours. I’ve printed on canvas, on hot press and on matte papers. I have never seen a problem. So I don’t understand this argument. I doubt they’d do well on glossy paper but who would do that anyway. There has to be more that I don’t understand.
Ha! you give others too much credit. People make careers out of having opinions that when you get right down to brass knuckles, just don't matter.

the only other thing I can think of is that they strive to make the image look like an oil painting. So perhaps an oil painting has characteristics that we are missing... But so what. Oil painting - water color painting - etc, it is all very arbitrary.

I DO very much like the idea of "painting", because it is a process that lets us decide what to do with the image, and the process lets the image change to what we desire, but much of the rest is arbitrary.

But I will agree that you print way more often than I do, so you will have a better feel for if an image would make a good print than me.. I can only go by what they say about banding and about not being able to see some low level contrasts in print..

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Exquisitely done.....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus