Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Piet's 2020 52 Birds

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Piet's 2020 52 Birds

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:04 am
week 31 - Black-crowned Night-Heron

The storm winds subsided, and the tides came in deeper and I left my shelter during the mid-day. And saw the Night Heron - later, after the power came back on, and photoshop was still working, I made my normal mess of things. Night Heron.jpg
Glad to see you here, have been a bit worried about ya'll over on the east coast, but you were probably safer than we were here as the top Covid spot in the world.

Is this a night heron? They have the most amazing eyes. The cheerful background isn't your typical look but I like it!
yep - night heron, his behavior must have been impacted by the storm - probably lots of them around, but not when I am with the camera. No Place is safe - where we think we are safe, we become complacent and careless.

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:29 pm
can't promise that they are all unique or that you haven't seen them, but will try to do one a week here. If I can post a shot from the week I will do that, but if I happen upon an old image that deserves attention, I'm not hesitating to do so. (For instance, I started organizing folders by subject instead of by when shot - and my green heron folder has some treasures that I have not paid attention to).

Week 1 - the Green Heron

greenHeronWk01.jpg
Stunning!
Your treatment puts me in mind of an imagined collaboration by J.J.Audubon and Alexander Wilson!

Dave

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

uuglypher wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:30 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:29 pm
can't promise that they are all unique or that you haven't seen them, but will try to do one a week here. If I can post a shot from the week I will do that, but if I happen upon an old image that deserves attention, I'm not hesitating to do so. (For instance, I started organizing folders by subject instead of by when shot - and my green heron folder has some treasures that I have not paid attention to).

Week 1 - the Green Heron

greenHeronWk01.jpg
Stunning!
Your treatment puts me in mind of an imagined collaboration by J.J.Audubon and Alexander Wilson!

Dave
aw man.. some day we will share a beer and you will know precisely how stupid I am!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

week 32 --- red, white, and black
redWhiteBlack.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

You and that mixer brush have become one.......nicely done

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:24 pm
You and that mixer brush have become one.......nicely done
I am mixered up.. thanks Frank.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:30 am
week 32 --- red, white, and blackredWhiteBlack.jpg
That's a beauty. Great angle, good choice of background, and excellent brushwork.

I am woefully behind you on that...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:16 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:30 am
week 32 --- red, white, and blackredWhiteBlack.jpg
That's a beauty. Great angle, good choice of background, and excellent brushwork.

I am woefully behind you on that...
you will catch up and surpass. I know this, because I know You.

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:14 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 am
I like it but understand your statement Piet..maybe it's the rump of the back bird having too much of the background color on it..... Looks to me you've just been a bit hasty..brush work is noticeable and oh, where did you find blue tree bark..lol May not have helped here but are you aware of changing your brush to overlay for masking? Still digging your birds though
yep, the problem began with the back bird... I had moved closer between shots and the backgrounds were different too. And then when I started blending in a texture, it all went to sh.t. LOL I think part of the problem was I spent more than an hour on it, after a while you can't see what you are doing any more, especially when you get into a troubles and try to fix things that you shouldn't be dealing with. I'll try the concept again, hopefully with better luck - Thanks Frank.
Piet, as another fan of J.W.Taylor I am of the strong opinion that you have photographically accomplished your aim. Your photos here call his work - rather than that of Audubon, Wilson, or Fuertes - to mind. The significance of background is purposely diminished that the subject predominate.

At normal viewing distance your purpose is absolutely and totally accomplished. Reading your discussion with Frank about brush stroke technique remind me of watching a young art class instructor leading a group of students through an exhibit of paintings by Andrew Wyeth in the mid 60s. Affecting a beret, turtlenecked sweater and a phony French accent he walked up close to Wyeth’s renowned portrait of his wife (on of the great tempera portraits of the 20th century) pulled out a hand lens, examined closely the shadow under her chin, turned and pronounced “Zat eeez sloppy brushwork... Moving on....” and, to his chuckling, disrespectful class he shouted “...and we’re walking!”

The concept of NVD (normal viewing distance) is all too often forgotten and disregarded.

Just sayin’.

Dave

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

uuglypher wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:33 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:14 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 am
I like it but understand your statement Piet..maybe it's the rump of the back bird having too much of the background color on it..... Looks to me you've just been a bit hasty..brush work is noticeable and oh, where did you find blue tree bark..lol May not have helped here but are you aware of changing your brush to overlay for masking? Still digging your birds though
yep, the problem began with the back bird... I had moved closer between shots and the backgrounds were different too. And then when I started blending in a texture, it all went to sh.t. LOL I think part of the problem was I spent more than an hour on it, after a while you can't see what you are doing any more, especially when you get into a troubles and try to fix things that you shouldn't be dealing with. I'll try the concept again, hopefully with better luck - Thanks Frank.
Piet, as another fan of J.W.Taylor I am of the strong opinion that you have photographically accomplished your aim. Your photos here call his work - rather than that of Audubon, Wilson, or Fuertes - to mind. The significance of background is purposely diminished that the subject predominate.

At normal viewing distance your purpose is absolutely and totally accomplished. Reading your discussion with Frank about brush stroke technique remind me of watching a young art class instructor leading a group of students through an exhibit of paintings by Andrew Wyeth in the mid 60s. Affecting a beret, turtlenecked sweater and a phony French accent he walked up close to Wyeth’s renowned portrait of his wife (on of the great tempera portraits of the 20th century) pulled out a hand lens, examined closely the shadow under her chin, turned and pronounced “Zat eeez sloppy brushwork... Moving on....” and, to his chuckling, disrespectful class he shouted “...and we’re walking!”

The concept of NVD (normal viewing distance) is all too often forgotten and disregarded.

Just sayin’.

Dave
thanks Dave, what a story, must have been hard to watch.