Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Minnie's 2020 52 Project

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Minnie's 2020 52 Project

Post by Psjunkie »

it's not fake..just manipulated

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:23 am
it's not fake..just manipulated
semantics... :)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Theme - Water

Of course I wanted to do a dam bird image but while the water was plentiful the birds were not. I had taken a few snapshots of the animals at the local refuge when I took the grandkids to visit earlier this week, so I used one of those and created a scene I call "Kangaroos At The Dam".
Attachments
roo.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Well produced tones in this one minniev......good work

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Thanks Frank.

Here is another using dead water lilies from earlier this week, and a texture created from my trip yesterday to the state art museum to see its first Covid-Era exhibition with my art loving grandson. It featured a large array of the most famous paintings of the French Impressionists, a real treat for a small museum like ours.
Attachments
lilies (1 of 1).jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Interesting...

uuglypher
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

Hi,Min,
Although I’ve not been an avid appreciator of either composited images nor use of textures ( as my typical absence from most discussions thereof attests) every once in a while an example of one or the other technique - Individually or in combination - strikes an incredibly resonant chord with me.

This image of dead lily pads is the most recent example of such a - to me - incredibly impactful image.

After catching my breath I simply had to take some time for reflection to analyze the “why” of its effect.

The small, perfectly intact leaf and the large, damaged one missing a ragged “pie slice” form a compelling diagonal juxtaposition which, alone, provides strong impact.
The similarly repetitive sequential, centrifugal circular contour variations of the pads combined with the sharply delineated refracting and reflecting clear water droplets and radially oriented contour- following water globules emphasize the distinct, albeit shallow depths of the subjects that rise from the plane of the water’s perfect, planar surface.

Being totally unfamiliar with the color assumed by dying lily pads I have no idea what color manipulation you may or may not have applied. Either way, the tertiary color complements are subdued and wonderfully effective!

The applied texture is, to my eye, less-than-totally convincingly perceived on the lily pads, and is simply beyond my perception in the water. If what I do perceive on the lily pads is the applied texture, I can only say that it’s effect is totally compatible with and positively contributory to the image, and certainly to no degree distracting as I often deem other less sensitively applied textures to be.

In case you’ve any lingering doubt, I am very much taken with this image!

Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:33 pm
Interesting...
Thanks for taking a look at my crazy stuff, Frank!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:49 am
Hi,Min,
Although I’ve not been an avid appreciator of either composited images nor use of textures ( as my typical absence from most discussions thereof attests) every once in a while an example of one or the other technique - Individually or in combination - strikes an incredibly resonant chord with me.

This image of dead lily pads is the most recent example of such a - to me - incredibly impactful image.

After catching my breath I simply had to take some time for reflection to analyze the “why” of its effect.

The small, perfectly intact leaf and the large, damaged one missing a ragged “pie slice” form a compelling diagonal juxtaposition which, alone, provides strong impact.
The similarly repetitive sequential, centrifugal circular contour variations of the pads combined with the sharply delineated refracting and reflecting clear water droplets and radially oriented contour- following water globules emphasize the distinct, albeit shallow depths of the subjects that rise from the plane of the water’s perfect, planar surface.

Being totally unfamiliar with the color assumed by dying lily pads I have no idea what color manipulation you may or may not have applied. Either way, the tertiary color complements are subdued and wonderfully effective!

The applied texture is, to my eye, less-than-totally convincingly perceived on the lily pads, and is simply beyond my perception in the water. If what I do perceive on the lily pads is the applied texture, I can only say that it’s effect is totally compatible with and positively contributory to the image, and certainly to no degree distracting as I often deem other less sensitively applied textures to be.

In case you’ve any lingering doubt, I am very much taken with this image!

Dave
Thanks! I always welcome comments! I know not everyone likes this kind of stuff! It's fun for me, as much fun as traditional photography, and lets me be a little crazy. And I love it when someone who doesn't isn't in to this stuff like one of my creations. Dead lilies around here are usually rust colored like this. Well they turn mottled yellow first then orangy. I like them in all conditions from perfect until they finally turn black before they vanish. I never get tired of studying their shapes and textures. Some of my favorite haunts are little fishing docks where I can hang over the edge and shoot straight down like this. The texture taken from the Monet painting was applied to the whole image but then mostly but not entirely masked out of the lily pads. Without the texture the water would have been a very dark brown, with no variations in tone, so I tried to create more mystery in the water with all that sinuous Monet waterplant stuff.

uuglypher
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

It’s interesting to me that I was so mistaken about the relative effect of the texture permitted on the pads and background! Simply testimony to your mastery of the subtleties of uses of texture! I’ll just have to pay closer attention to whole “texture-affected” genre of imagery!
Via this image, Min, you just may yet get a new convert to the technique!
Many thanks for so gently and persuasively expanding my consciousness, awareness, and perceptions concerning texture use!

Dave