Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Minne's NEW 2019 52

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Minne's NEW 2019 52

Post by minniev »

Thanks, Frank and Piet. Any Christmas scenes you guys have concocted?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

And the final assignment for this year was to post your favorite photo that you took in 2019. I was hard put to decide. It was not a banner year for me. I didn't fall in love with ANY photo I took. I tell my photography friends that my muse has fled. I took some photos I kinda LIKED: I liked some of the ones I took in Newfoundland, Labrador, Spain, France, and Jamaica. I liked some of the ones I took of my kids and grandkids. I liked a few I took of the birds and the swamp. I liked some of the ones I took at the country house. I liked a few of my composites. But finding a favorite is like recommending a favorite type of sushi: it is hard because I don't like sushi anyway.

So here's what I chose: one that felt the most important. It was a very plain photo of the little girl on Monhegan who's the youngest lobster fisherman. She's taking her first turn at rowing the dory, with her grandfather instructing her. I told the sad story, which I've already told here, about her losing her father, and posted the picture I had printed large for her and her grandparents. So I'll post both of them here too. I spent several hours with this family sharing an intimacy of loss. And I was reminded once again, of the words from Matt Quinn's memorial service, that we photographers are the record keepers of God. We record the places, the events, the people, the emotions. In this instance, I truly felt that responsibility, and was glad to be able to gift this family something that they could cherish and that might honor their grief.

It is a reminder that what we do is important, and we must do our best to live up to what is entrusted to us.
Attachments
guardians (1 of 1).jpg
IMG_0622.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Well done..

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Thank you Frank.

I invite you and everyone to join our 52 group, or just borrow our list for the new year and commit to taking ONE photograph a week according to a theme and post it here. I use the 52 group's list, but post mine both places. https://www.facebook.com/groups/327777904493968/

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

I very much appreciate the invite but am not energetic enough for the task.......

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:12 am
I very much appreciate the invite but am not energetic enough for the task.......
You should give it a try. It is the main thing that's kept me engaged in a year where my photography muse has eluded me rather thoroughly. If you miss a week you can catch up later. Or whatever.

My first year, I made it to July then lost my way. I finished last year and this year.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

love that last one, rowing into the mist - boats and mist/fog, it gets no better

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

The last one is a masterpiece. After have been there and seen the possibilities of an image caught in this fashion make me envious of what I may have or DID miss. Very impressive Minnie.
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

davechinn wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:52 pm
The last one is a masterpiece. After have been there and seen the possibilities of an image caught in this fashion make me envious of what I may have or DID miss. Very impressive Minnie.
That is the one I had printed on canvas as a gift for Winnie and John Murdock, that we rented Elva's cottage through. It is their son Ben, who died last year. I took it my first trip to Monhegan and revisited it after I learned how to work with textures. I was hoping to get one similar of Ben's daughter Arielle to do up similarly. I did get some of them while John was teaching her to row the little dinghy, but the sun was so bright the day I got them, I don't think I"ll be able to convert them well enough. I will give a try.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M »

A good project pushes you to look beyond your limits! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"