Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Project 52Minne's NEW 2019 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Minne's NEW 2019 52

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Week 2- No theme

I got a week ahead of myself in my theme list, by posting my candle picture too early. So I have a gap that I'll fill with the skater girl from New Orleans and the unholy mess I made of her! Feel free to tell me the kitchen is way too full, it usually is. I wanted to show her skating, show some city stuff and some botanical stuff because of the beautiful park she's in with those ancient live oaks. I didn't have a wide angle with me thus my live oaks are just small pieces, so I extended one with a tree brush made of a live oak someone else shot with a different lens. It was a fun mess, even if it is headed for the trash. Includes other brushes made from buildings and an old atlas, a postmark from a postcard mailed from New Orleans in 1910, and some textures and other New Orleans and French junk got online.
Attachments
skate.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Seems well blended to me minniev...nicely done. If I were to nitpik, it would be the postmark covering the skates...for some reason I want to see the skates clearly, like it would ground her in the image or something....I dunno I like the postmark just don't want the skates covered

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:18 pm
Seems well blended to me minniev...nicely done. If I were to nitpik, it would be the postmark covering the skates...for some reason I want to see the skates clearly, like it would ground her in the image or something....I dunno I like the postmark just don't want the skates covered
I agree about the skate and tried to get some of it back without good results. Most of the detail was blown as a reflection in the bright sunlight. I should have underexposed by a stop of two. Her arm (the one behind her back) has another blown area that I couldn't do anything with. I didn't mind the blown highlights in her hair, sort of liked them, but the others basically ruined it as a legitimate photograph.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Well you ARE on a ROLL (pun intended) for 2019 Minnie !!! I really like what you have done with the New Orleans rollerblader. At first glance I thought, "how did you capture her other side", then I realized you reversed her. It was a good choice by flipping her. The ole' time sepia tone works rather well, but I'm not too fond of her skin being partially in color. I know, I'm guilty of it as well, but I'm not so sure I would have here. Overall I do like it though.

I'm still Hee Hawing around about a decision for another 52 project. I guess there's no rule to when I can start.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:47 pm

as I said just a nitpick, not a deal breaker...didn't know about the reflection and thought the postmark was just coincidentally covering the skate....

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:47 pm
as I said just a nitpick, not a deal breaker...didn't know about the reflection and thought the postmark was just coincidentally covering the skate....
Actually when I realized I had lost the skate, I tried to make it look like the mark "might" be covering it up! I couldn't find a trick for the arm, but it wouldn't have worked either :)

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 pm

clone the arm...all else is OK and it's a nice piece....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:12 am

love the colors scheme and the idea of it. I agree that knocking all the color out of her is the way to go for this on. I like the feel of the encroaching foliage. I don't know if the building can go up higher, visually it is uncomfortable having the building both lower and smaller in scale than the girl. I like the tree for the tree, but you have to figure something out about where it can live. Right now, she is carrying it on her back and the feeling of that won't go away once noticed.. I think the postcard feel of these shots is pretty cool.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:12 am
love the colors scheme and the idea of it. I agree that knocking all the color out of her is the way to go for this on. I like the feel of the encroaching foliage. I don't know if the building can go up higher, visually it is uncomfortable having the building both lower and smaller in scale than the girl. I like the tree for the tree, but you have to figure something out about where it can live. Right now, she is carrying it on her back and the feeling of that won't go away once noticed.. I think the postcard feel of these shots is pretty cool.
I appreciate the detailed ideas and especially the "why" involved which will help me with other things. I knew the placement of the tree would be a problem, but the tree is there in the photo, I just stuck some limbs on it. I don't think I can get it out of her back, she may just have to carry it with her. The building is flexible so it can grow or shrink!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:30 am

davechinn wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm
Well you ARE on a ROLL (pun intended) for 2019 Minnie !!! I really like what you have done with the New Orleans rollerblader. At first glance I thought, "how did you capture her other side", then I realized you reversed her. It was a good choice by flipping her. The ole' time sepia tone works rather well, but I'm not too fond of her skin being partially in color. I know, I'm guilty of it as well, but I'm not so sure I would have here. Overall I do like it though.

I'm still Hee Hawing around about a decision for another 52 project. I guess there's no rule to when I can start.
Dave
Cmon Dave, jump in and do a 52. You know you can take a picture a week! And probably a lot more!

I wasn't too crazy about the skin thing either, I just somehow ended up there.