"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

Project 52Matt's Spinner 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Matt's Spinner 52

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Matt's Spinner 52: #5, Selfie

Our tea kettle sprung a leak so we got a new one yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. That's me there with my trusty Sony Cybershot. MattphotoMentoris-21.jpg
[/quote]

Love the blue teakettle Matt, I told you that you'd find ways to keep on shooting! Stay with it! Your creative spirit will always find a way!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:12 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Our tea kettle sprung a leak so we got a new one yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. That's me there with my trusty Sony Cybershot. MattphotoMentoris-21.jpg
Love the blue teakettle Matt, I told you that you'd find ways to keep on shooting! Stay with it! Your creative spirit will always find a way!
[/quote]

Thanks Minnie. There's always a way, no matter how narrow. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:15 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 am
I like that selfie and that old mill, the panorama makes me dizzy and I'm glad not to be by the railing. And the pot... a new selfie, is not flattering, the shape of the pot makes the girth look great - great as in big, not as in good!!!! LOL
Old age spread, Piet, although not geographically as broad as the kettle showed. Which makes me wonder, if the kettle had eyes, what would it see when looking at me. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:20 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:10 pm
Great split rail fence in your lines, fun selfie!
Thank you, Linda. In your honor, I shot some photos of power lines today. Haven't downloaded them yet; something wrong with my LR. Sigh! Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 pm

minniev wrote:

[/quote]

Matt's Spinner 52: #6, Mostly Black

Honest! I spun the wheel and got Mostly Black. Ouija wheel? NSA tapping my computer? (My next-door neighbor in MD, retired now, spent 40 years at NSA. Perhaps he's to blame.)

Anyway, here it is. The Brewster Mill at Drummer Boy Park, shading a farrier's workshop. Originally built in 1795 and situated a few miles east near Rte 6A, it was moved closer to the bay in the early 1800's because the sound of the sails scared horses as they passed. Moved again in 1890, it served as a clubhouse for a local golf course until about 1974 when it was relocated to the current location. The octagonal 20-foot diameter base supports a revolving cap that was constructed with curved timbers similar to the hull of a ship. A tall central pole is attached to a wagon wheel on the ground that was pulled by a horse, ox or human so that the masts faced into the wind. The entire mill stands 30 feet tall.

Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris-24.jpg
photoMentoris-24.jpg (76.48 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 pm

Honest! I spun the wheel and got Mostly Black. Ouija wheel? NSA tapping my computer? (My next-door neighbor in MD, retired now, spent 40 years at NSA. Perhaps he's to blame.)

Anyway, here it is. The Brewster Mill at Drummer Boy Park, shading a farrier's workshop. Originally built in 1795 and situated a few miles east near Rte 6A, it was moved closer to the bay in the early 1800's because the sound of the sails scared horses as they passed. Moved again in 1890, it served as a clubhouse for a local golf course until about 1974 when it was relocated to the current location. The octagonal 20-foot diameter base supports a revolving cap that was constructed with curved timbers similar to the hull of a ship. A tall central pole is attached to a wagon wheel on the ground that was pulled by a horse, ox or human so that the masts faced into the wind. The entire mill stands 30 feet tall.

Matt
Not just any old mill, but a windmill? I've seen so few of them in the US. I only remember seeing one in Rhode Island and another in Indiana. Not many around. Nice image that makes good use of all that black. I like how you've got the bars on the "paddles" aligned with the roofline, makes a pleasing composition.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:45 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:

Matt
Not just any old mill, but a windmill? I've seen so few of them in the US. I only remember seeing one in Rhode Island and another in Indiana. Not many around. Nice image that makes good use of all that black. I like how you've got the bars on the "paddles" aligned with the roofline, makes a pleasing composition.
Thanks Minnie. You notice everything, especially the small touches. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:20 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:45 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:

Matt
Thanks Minnie. You notice everything, especially the small touches. Matt
Another view of the windmill, Minnie. Matt
photoMentoris-34.jpg
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:54 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:

Matt
[/quote]

Matt's Spinner 52: #7, The Street

My wife has been confined to the house due to her broken shoulder, so we took a slow drive and moseyed into this resort where the 1% must spend some summer time. And this just be their cobblestoned street. It's plowed so some folk must live there year-round. Maybe there's golf nearby. Too cold for fishing.

Matt
photoMentoris-40.jpg
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:58 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 pm
I like your placement of the sun behind the peak of the mill here, letting the glow spread out from there. I might have tried more from the right but as you sometimes say, there is always a reason, and if the photographer is skillful, the viewer doesn't know what the reason is for sure.