"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

Project 52Dave's Project 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Dave's Project 52

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:07 pm

The straight-on perspective in b&w is a super-interesting shot, Dave! And I remember riding Champ too :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm
I thought I would post another of 'Champ'. He is plugged in and ready to ride for 25 cents. If I remember correctly it was only a nickel the last time I rode, inflation !!!
Both the "champ" photos are pretty cool, Dave. The first one with the empty street, the straight-on view of "Champ", and all the geometry is a visual puzzle that's fun to solve by following the lines and angles. The side-portrait of Champ is a nostalgic image that has a vintage feel to those muted colors.
(PS- your monochrome has some halos along those edges, but you know how to fix 'em!)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:24 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:07 pm
The straight-on perspective in b&w is a super-interesting shot, Dave! And I remember riding Champ too :)

Thanks for your interest and commenting Linda !!! Much appreciated.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:15 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm
davechinn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm
I thought I would post another of 'Champ'. He is plugged in and ready to ride for 25 cents. If I remember correctly it was only a nickel the last time I rode, inflation !!!
Both the "champ" photos are pretty cool, Dave. The first one with the empty street, the straight-on view of "Champ", and all the geometry is a visual puzzle that's fun to solve by following the lines and angles. The side-portrait of Champ is a nostalgic image that has a vintage feel to those muted colors.
(PS- your monochrome has some halos along those edges, but you know how to fix 'em!)

Thanks Minnie !!! I don't think there are many of these around anymore, so I felt the urge to document one for a collection of memories.
I knew about the haloing, but I decided to make repairs another day.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Week #7 of Project 52 and a much needed "mind meld" from me is in order for creative ideas of subject matter. I may have to go out of town before long to get back in a groove of acceptance, rather than the same ole' same ole'. I do think I have been somewhat successful in mixing things up, but don't be surprised to see some recurring subjects, such as bridges, cityscapes, but hopefully nothing boring.

This week, a few images inside the Veterans Hospital, a place where I do frequent from time to time. I have never considered the thought of taking the opportunity to photograph there and may return when warmer weather arrives because in the past there have been some interesting characters in passing.

All three images were taken with a Tokina wide angle lens in manual mode @16mm f2.8, ISO 400, 1/125 shutter speed and while no flash was used, not a nary of patients were harmed in any way during the shooting process. I would say it's safe to return at my own discretion?
Dave
Attachments
VA DEC_9478w B&W.jpg
#1 (As I entered)
VA DEC_9482w B&W.jpg
#2 (Down the hall @ the elevators)
VA DEC_9485w B&W.jpg
#3 (Exiting)

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Dave, These are wonderful; great range of tones, creative cropping, inventive framing. I especially like #3; no surprise with my leaning toward the dark side. Well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:29 am

davechinn wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm
Week #7 of Project 52 and a much needed "mind meld" from me is in order for creative ideas of subject matter. I may have to go out of town before long to get back in a groove of acceptance, rather than the same ole' same ole'. I do think I have been somewhat successful in mixing things up, but don't be surprised to see some recurring subjects, such as bridges, cityscapes, but hopefully nothing boring.

This week, a few images inside the Veterans Hospital, a place where I do frequent from time to time. I have never considered the thought of taking the opportunity to photograph there and may return when warmer weather arrives because in the past there have been some interesting characters in passing.

All three images were taken with a Tokina wide angle lens in manual mode @16mm f2.8, ISO 400, 1/125 shutter speed and while no flash was used, not a nary of patients were harmed in any way during the shooting process. I would say it's safe to return at my own discretion?
Dave
These are well taken and paint a clear picture of the grim and lonely environment of any hospital. It is interesting to contrast these images it’s Grahams recent images from medical facilities in India.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:46 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:09 pm
Dave, These are wonderful; great range of tones, creative cropping, inventive framing. I especially like #3; no surprise with my leaning toward the dark side. Well done. Matt
Thanks Matt. Glad that you lean towards the dark side as well. Now I don't feel so all alone.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:53 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:29 am
davechinn wrote:

Dave
These are well taken and paint a clear picture of the grim and lonely environment of any hospital. It is interesting to contrast these images it’s Grahams recent images from medical facilities in India.

Thanks Minnie. I agree, it is a grim & lonely environment, but most vets have a positive & upbeat attitude. I feel fortunate upon every visit, for so many are in such bad health.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 pm

davechinn wrote:
Week #7 of Project 52 and a much needed "mind meld" from me is in order for creative ideas of subject matter. ...
There's a power and beauty to these images that remind of something I'd see in a gallery showing. It's your composition and use of space, and the processing of course, but it's more than that, there's an intimate feeling that you somehow capture that's inviting and makes you want to know more, almost as if we are there with you. I hope you continue on this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"